Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, as my title states, I am having "overheating" issues with my '07 CVT Hatchback with 260,000 Kms. The issue arises only when I am driving in the city with my A/C on. On the highway temps are fine (no red temp light) and the A/C pumps out lots of cool air. Ambient temps where I am right now are between 25°C and 30°C.

Example, drove 20kms around the city, drove into the city, and within 1.5kms at slower speeds, 30-60 Kph, the red warning light comes on even with the Elec. fan running full speed pulling air through the Rad. I turn off the AC, turn on heat on defrost and roll down the windows (don't know if that helps or not) and it cools down by the time I merge back on the highway. I was able to reproduce the issue again when I pulled into a parking lot, left the A/C on and let it idle with the hood open. I have gone through some of the troubleshooting ideas outlined in other posts:

• checked upper and lower rad hoses, the top one is hotter (by a bit) than the lower, therefore the water pump is working
  • Checked to ensure the fan is running at full speed, and moving in the correct manner by feeling the airflow, and checking the High speed fan relay
  • Checked to ensure the fluid is full, and not too much is in the overflow reservoir.
Could air in the loop cause this amount of excessive heat? I will probably end up just draining and refilling the rad this summer anyways, but I want to see if there are any other options I could exhaust to help with cooling as it is only going to get hotter here. Also, could it just be the temp sensor out of whack, and it isn't overheating at all? The hoses do feel extremely hot to the touch though.

Edit: Forgot to mention that my A/C compressor was recently changed, but I was having the same issue last year, but it was noticed less because my A/C was not working nearly as well, and I was not driving as much in a cooler summer season.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Since it acts up in the city vs highway sounds like an air flow issue. Is the fan blowing air from the front to inside the engine compartment? Have you check the fluid level in the radiator as well as over flow tank? When was it last flushed? What color is the fluid? Is it rust or green/blue?

Does it over heat with the ac off?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Has the fluid ever been changed? If not, there could be some sludge in there clogging up passage ways.

Air in the system could be causing a hot pocket that can be dealt with at cruising speed but then becomes noticeable in stop and go when the fans aren't producing enough cooling especially when it is now getting warm outside.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would look at the water pump and thermostat too.
The thermostat may be stuck partially open,thus restricting coolant flow.
The water pump may also be failing as well. While it may not be leaking, the impeller inside the pump may degrade, or get clogged with sludge after time.

Also check the coolant from the radiator itself. I have seen cases where the overflow is full, but radiator empty due to clogged line to overflow tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
Keith Wagner
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing