Nissan Versa Forums banner

Intermittent scraping sound

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Woogie 
#1 ·
I have an '08 SL hatchback with odd noises coming from (I think) the front driver's side wheel. It's a light 'chk' 'chk' 'chk' scraping sound. The sound isn't always present. I notice it mostly when I drive at night after the car has been parked for awhile. When it's there, the sound increases and decreases in tempo according to the speed of the vehicle and the noise is present whether I'm braking or not. The car has about 57,000 miles on it and still has the stock pads. According to the dealer at the time of the last oil change (about three months ago) the pads had 5mm left on all four wheels. I have not noticed any changes in the braking performance other than increased travel due to the pads wearing. No vibration or mushiness.

I am about to take a road trip of approximately 1,000 miles. Is this something I should have checked out before the trip?

#3 ·
It's definitely not the tires. I replaced two of the tires at 45K and the other pair at 50K, so they're almost brand new. They've been rotated several times and the noise still comes from the same spot. I live in a dry climate, but my apartment complex waters the lawn several nights a week to keep it green. The grass is only a few feet from where my car is parked. I'm guessing the temperature change and humidity is causing something to expand or contract and rub against the rotor. That might explain why the noise isn't present during the daytime.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.