Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, after this semester ends I'm looking forward to getting a Nissan Versa hatchback 2014, CVT or a Honda Fit 2013.

I'm currently driving a Tacoma access cab 2005 2.7L 159HP/180TQ Manual.

I'm planning on going to graduate school in this hatchback. I'm not sure if 109hp is enough for 5 people? Has this been tested somewhere?

·
Registered
993 Posts
The current hatch has 123hp, and it starts to feel over weight with 3 passenger's. The cars not gonna bottom out or anything, the suspension can handle it, but you notice a lagging feeling with 5 ppl in the car. It also won't be any different in the fit. Although the fit has a lot more after market parts to offer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The current hatch has 123hp, and it starts to feel over weight with 3 passenger's. The cars not gonna bottom out or anything, the suspension can handle it, but you notice a lagging feeling with 5 ppl in the car. It also won't be any different in the fit. Although the fit has a lot more after market parts to offer.
I'm not a aftermarket person lol, I just want a good daily commuter. I have no interest in car as long as it meets my simple criteria.

That being said, I'll be missing an extra 14 ponies :(, when you had 3 people could you stay at highway speed of 75-80?

·
Registered
993 Posts
I do 80 daily on the highway just fine even with the car packed, just takes some time to get there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
With the 1.6L and 5 people aboard you'll be lacking any passing power, but you should be fine for hiway cruising on mostly level ground. These cars are great on fuel until challenged by either wind or weight. My old 2001 sentra se 2.0 got better mileage than this versa does if I'm loaded up or have a headwind. Mileage drops fast after 70 mph and there's barely enough power for light travelling. I commute Solo 55 miles a day and can live with the power/mileage return. If I had 5 people regularly for this commute I would NOT own this car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the 1.6L and 5 people aboard you'll be lacking any passing power, but you should be fine for hiway cruising on mostly level ground. These cars are great on fuel until challenged by either wind or weight. My old 2001 sentra se 2.0 got better mileage than this versa does if I'm loaded up or have a headwind. Mileage drops fast after 70 mph and there's barely enough power for light travelling. I commute Solo 55 miles a day and can live with the power/mileage return. If I had 5 people regularly for this commute I would NOT own this car.
:rant: How much power you recommend for about 3 people on average for commuting regularly?

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I have the 1.8 hatch and have had 5 adults in the car before. It feels a bit sluggish with all the extra weight, but it's not unmanageable. I had a 2012 1.6 Versa sedan as my rental car in Arizona, and found it difficult to go thru some of those roads in Sedona at 75mph with the AC on (and I only had two adults in the car). Most people buy this car as a daily commuter though, and not as a passenger hauler, lol.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The real question you are asking is what is the hauling ability of this vehicle.

You need to look at both cars and calculate how much weight will be in the vehicle and compare it to the manufactures recommendation for maximum payload.

Any vehicle that lacks torque which is basically any 4 cylinder will struggle to accelerate...but once cruising speed is reached it can be maintained without much of a problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the 1.8 hatch and have had 5 adults in the car before. It feels a bit sluggish with all the extra weight, but it's not unmanageable. I had a 2012 1.6 Versa sedan as my rental car in Arizona, and found it difficult to go thru some of those roads in Sedona at 75mph with the AC on (and I only had two adults in the car). Most people buy this car as a daily commuter though, and not as a passenger hauler, lol.
Yeah, I think I'm looking at the wrong category of vehicles... I love the versatility of the car (versa/fit) but I guess I'm expecting too much :neutral:

I've been looking at Mazda 3 and Impreza, but nothing comes to versa/fit as for price/cargo space. I don't want to use my parent's Tacoma as a city car either lol.

·
Registered
63 Posts
:rant: How much power you recommend for about 3 people on average for commuting regularly?
If you're looking at a longer term investment I'd recommend looking at the new Sentra or others (like you mention) Mazda, or even Civic.
Also, if you do a search in your area for used vehicles 1-3 yrs old you may be seriously surprised at what you can get for $15k...

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
the honda fit comes with a 117-hp, 1.5-liter, 16-valve i-VTEC® 4-cylinder engine Fuel-efficient 35 mpg highway
Steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters

looks very similar to the 2014 versa hatch

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you're looking at a longer term investment I'd recommend looking at the new Sentra or others (like you mention) Mazda, or even Civic.
Also, if you do a search in your area for used vehicles 1-3 yrs old you may be seriously surprised at what you can get for $15k...
Versa has 109HP/107TQ

Sentra has 130hp/128TQ

Seems like my best option is to drop to a Rio5 and Accent for 138hp/123tq, this should be enough power for passing like a sentra/corolla right :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Drives good for me on long trip.

I just got back from a 700+ mile round-trip between Los Angeles, CA & Phoenix, AZ. Drove my new 2012 Versa Hatchback SE Auto (No CVT). The car drove great. No problems. Cruised at 80+ easily. No problem passing at higher speeds either. There was a short time during the trip where the wind picked up and I had to counter-steer to keep the car straight. But it wasn't a big deal. The biggest problem was when a huge tumbleweed rolled into my lane while I was going 70mph on the freeway and I had to make a fast manuever. Again, the Versa handled like a champ. The trip was made with 2 adults. I have also driven with 4 adults on the freeway for a short time, and also had no problems. Didn't notice the car being too underpowered to handle the task. I'm not sure what other people are referring to. No it's not gonna break any land speed records, but the 1.8L is plenty of power for city & freeway driving. Compare it to the 1.6L found in most subcompacts and you will agree. That's why I bought the Versa.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Mazda3 sport has 150hp, impreza hatch has 170. Then there's the mazdaspeed 3, with around 260hp, and you can find those used for a good price with low mileage at a Mazda dealer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just got back from a 700+ mile round-trip between Los Angeles, CA & Phoenix, AZ. Drove my new 2012 Versa Hatchback SE Auto (No CVT). The car drove great. No problems. Cruised at 80+ easily. No problem passing at higher speeds either. There was a short time during the trip where the wind picked up and I had to counter-steer to keep the car straight. But it wasn't a big deal. The biggest problem was when a huge tumbleweed rolled into my lane while I was going 70mph on the freeway and I had to make a fast manuever. Again, the Versa handled like a champ. The trip was made with 2 adults. I have also driven with 4 adults on the freeway for a short time, and also had no problems. Didn't notice the car being too underpowered to handle the task. I'm not sure what other people are referring to. No it's not gonna break any land speed records, but the 1.8L is plenty of power for city & freeway driving. Compare it to the 1.6L found in most subcompacts and you will agree. That's why I bought the Versa.
Thanks, I feel a bit more confidence in my purchase now. I'll be getting a 1.6L CVT hatch though, and my family will only pitch in if I buy new car. I can't buy used :5:

·
Registered
993 Posts
Yes the new Nissan Note will be out this summer. Or the Versa Note, sorry first thing about the car was its release in Japan. It has a super charged 1.3 liter, and is only called the Note.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I'm happy with my 1.8 even with the tick sound maybe I should get me a 2012 Versa hatch and make it last 10 years, but..there's nothing wrong with the versa I'm driving now even with 121,000 miles but those are highway miles and not city miles

·
Registered
993 Posts
Also I think the new Note is getting the HR16DD, so might be able to hook up the stock turbo from the Juke. For our members that want a turbo Versa.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.