Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Service manual says the fuel filter is maintenance free. I am aware that the fuel filter is located in the feel pump under the backseat in the gas tank. I hope to keep my car for at least 200,000 miles and 300,000 if it’ll go that far. at what point should I really replace the fuel pump/filter.

Also I have a mechanic that says he can do the filter without the replacing the pump for $200. Is this actually possible?

·
Registered
939 Posts
I've recleaned them on several cars to be good as new again but if ethanol fuel used where you are at and the car sits enough to let it phase separate then the acids produced will eat the filter alive.

You have to remove the pump to get at the strainer, it would be somewhat retarded to simply change the filter by then without a pump to go with it. I've done it though using a new pump or rebuilding the old one in the odd case it can be done.

The whole dropping of the external filter is more of that parts condensing thing all the OEMs are doing to create much more expensive repairs now that the general public tends to steer away from doing out of fear of screwing things up, and they need to be in most cases now. Make the pump filter bigger and drop the outside one and instant million dollars freed up for executive bonuses there. Can't keep the company running if we don't choke the CEO with money.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
amc49
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing