Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to buy a gently used Versa for a really good price. Nonetheless, I'm very concerned about all the CVT issues I read about the Versa and all I really want is a reliable car. If I were to change the transmission fluids every 25,000 miles would I be able to make it to 100k? Is there a 2015 Note out there with more than 80k miles on it?

Additionally, would my car be covered by the new warranty extension despite the fact that I did not opt in to it back in January? How prevalent is the CVT issue?

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Versa S sedan
42 Posts
I have the opportunity to buy a gently used Versa for a really good price. Nonetheless, I'm very concerned about all the CVT issues I read about the Versa and all I really want is a reliable car. If I were to change the transmission fluids every 25,000 miles would I be able to make it to 100k? Is there a 2015 Note out there with more than 80k miles on it?

Additionally, would my car be covered by the new warranty extension despite the fact that I did not opt in to it back in January? How prevalent is the CVT issue?
Short answer...no, probably not.

In a nutshell:

The CVT is the majority of Nissan's pitfalls in recent years. Nissan did lengthen the warranty for many affected CVT-equipped models to 120k miles, but dealing with their warranty work is a headache on its own (especially when transferred to a new owner). It's very difficult to service their CVTs by yourself, most shops have to use specialized tools to get the job done. Not saying it can't be done if you want the car, but this is something anyone should know before pulling the trigger if they want a "reliable" car.

You will likely end up with a transmission issue before 100k, as most of the friends I know with a CVT-equipped Note hatch have had to deal with complete transmission failures. One such friend is debating swapping out his HR16DE to get his Note back on the road after replacing the transmission wasn't feasible (cost) anymore, but he has a show car and put tons of work into his Note...anyone else likely would've given up on the idea.

If you can find one with a traditional 4-speed auto or a 5-speed manual you'll be way better off. $4,500 isn't too bad of an asking price for a 2nd gen Note with low miles, but Nissan CVTs have been garbage since 2006. That significantly drops their resale value across the board, and is unfortunately the prime reason many owners get rid of these cars early.

The Versa is a good commuter car, and I really like my sedan. They're honestly not bad cars, but the CVT transmission has been landing them in junkyards.

Sent from my Samsung S10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I've been asking around a lot in the past few days about the Versa and the answers have been overwhelmingly opposed to me getting it. I will take that as a sign and pass up on this deal.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I wouldn't do it....
and it's a pity because overall this is very good commute car.
Shame on the CVT.

·
Registered
500 Posts
There are a couple of 2014s listed for around $4k. One has 91,000 and the other 115,000. So there are a few higher mileage
Notes around, at least my area. Also a 2016 with 65,000 and they want $6k.

With only 26,000 miles I would at least concider it. I would pay to take it to a shop and have it gone over with a fine tooth comb.
The pros- 5 years of warranty, low miles, and good price.
The cons- it has a CVT

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm pretty sure they are required to cover all CVT's included in the class action suit regardless of when you obtain the car. For owners who had their Versa's when the agreement was reached you didn't opt in that was automatic and you were included unless you opt out of the class action and if you had a problem wanted to hire your own lawyer and seek your own damages. At $4500. with 25,000 miles I'd probably take the risk. I bought my '16 sedan in Feb. '19 with a rebuilt title and 10546 miles for $5300. It currently has 22,599 miles and has been problem free to this point. I figure if I can get it to last to near 100K miles at the price cars are now days I will have got my money's worth. I plan to do a transmission drain/fil/filter approximately every 30K miles. If you do decide to buy it when it comes time to change the fluid/filter check eBay the original Nissan NS3 fluid can often be bought there for $10-13 per quart. I recently bought 10 quarts and as I recall it was around $125 including free shipping. If mine last beyond the extended warranty I'll then start using aftermarket fluids that are available for $7-8 a quart. Right now I don't want to do anything to give them reason to try to void the warranty. I know according to the Moss-Magnuson act they can't legally do that but, I don't want to have to hire a lawyer to fight the case when I can prevent it by paying a few extra dollars for the original fluid.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I think $4500 for a 5 year old car with 26k miles is a great deal! Particularly if you know that the car was gently used and there are no current problems. It is not 100% written in stone that you will have CVT problems down the road. I have 35k miles on my 2014 Note, aside from a very occasional shudder when accelerating from a stop, there is no problem with the car whatsover (knock on wood). I do not have any plans to replace it in the near future as it has been very reliable since we bought it new.

If it were me, I'd buy it, drive it another 40k miles then sell it later, then move on to another vehicle.

Its interesting hearing so many negative comments about CVT. Does this mean Nissan is doomed, since most, if not all, of their automatic trans offerings are equipped with CVTs?

·
Registered
414 Posts
For the time being a Nissans's CVT is absolutely unpredictable. It could last 100k miles, or bite the dust next month. If it happens, then all the dreams of "If it were me, I'd buy it, drive it another 40k miles then sell it later" will go down in toilet.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I will add another comment. My son has a 2014 Nissan Sentra. I think it now has between 60-70K miles and has the CVT, to my knowledge it is still problem free. His previous car was I think a 2002 Mercury Sable with a standard 4 speed automatic. They were on a trip a few hundred miles from home when the transmission went out on it at just over 100K miles. I agree Nissan has more problems with these transmissions than is acceptable but, there are good and bad in all makes and models. At the time I bought my Versa I bought it on short notice and didn't do my homework before purchasing it but, at $5300 for a 3 year old car with 10546 miles on it I'd probably have bought it anyway since nearly anything else with that kind of mileage and age would have probably cost $12-15K. Since I bought my Versa I've saw 1 or 2 US postal mail carriers driving Versa's that probably had a CVT in them. I would think with all the stop and go of a mail carrier that would be pretty hard on the transmission. I do drive mine a little more cautious than I have other cars I've owned in the past trying to prevent unnecessary wear and tear on the CVT.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For the price and mileage I would definitely pick it up. I’d also have the CVT serviced at a Nissan dealer. I know a few mechanics and service writers at Nissan dealerships. All the mechanics agree the key to a long life on a Nissan CVT is to do a flush at the dealer every 30k religiously. One of the said mechanics has 180k on his CVT. So just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I've been asking around a lot in the past few days about the Versa and the answers have been overwhelmingly opposed to me getting it. I will take that as a sign and pass up on this deal.
Where is the car located and is there a listing online for it? If so please post it, if it's near me I may take a look at it. My wife is wanting a newer low mileage car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a 2009 Versa with CVT and no problems. It got to 105k - no problems. I had an accident and it was totalled but my reason about wanting another Versa is that really I had no engine (or any) problems. I loved that there was no mechanical issues because I am not a mechanical person.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ancient thread here, but that 2015 SL note hatchback w/ 26K miles on it for $4500 was a steal for that car.

I could sell my 2015 1.6S base model w/ 50K miles on it for around $6K today with the COVID19 thing and used car values where they are.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts