Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many user reviews of the Versa 2012 sedan say that the Versa is twitchy on the highway, with poor directional stability, and numb steering road feel. I haven't found that to be the case. I was wondering what other people felt.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Many user reviews of the Versa 2012 sedan say that the Versa is twitchy on the highway, with poor directional stability, and numb steering road feel. I haven't found that to be the case. I was wondering what other people felt.
I've seen similar statements for the past few years on the Versa, ultimately I think people just love to bash on the V for some reason, even though the Versa is one of the highest selling low-end cars out there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I do a hiway commute and it's pretty windy here in Spring. Yessir, in any kind of crosswind it's pretty dicey. I'm not talking hurricane force either, just minor winds can nudge this car off course (more than any car I've owned in the past 25 years). Pretty sure it's the pizza cutter wheel/tire combo. I pumped up the tires to 38 psi and it helped quite a bit but the ride suffered.
If there's no crosswind it drives pretty nice though.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The versa has had that problem since 2007. Any kind of wind, will knock that car off path. I always drove with both hands on the wheel, and in windy conditions, I drove no more than 65. Its a little scary, lol. But honestly, what car in its class doesn't suffer the same thing? You can't tell me the yaris doesn't? That thing is so tiny!

·
Registered
238 Posts
The versa has had that problem since 2007. Any kind of wind, will knock that car off path. I always drove with both hands on the wheel, and in windy conditions, I drove no more than 65. Its a little scary, lol. But honestly, what car in its class doesn't suffer the same thing? You can't tell me the yaris doesn't? That thing is so tiny!
The Yaris is wayyyy worst than a V, I know because a buddy owns one, that things scary on the highway, especially since he is driving only with one hand since he smokes....

It probably has a much worse crash test rating too.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
same same and same^ Had a tercel hatch with 155/80-13 tires and didn't like crosswinds, but held significantly better with 175/70-13 tires. My versa hatch better than tercel but not better than my mkII golf in this area.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Nothing that lowering the center of gravity an putting wider tires can't solve.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I do a hiway commute and it's pretty windy here in Spring. Yessir, in any kind of crosswind it's pretty dicey. I'm not talking hurricane force either, just minor winds can nudge this car off course (more than any car I've owned in the past 25 years).
If there's no crosswind it drives pretty nice though.
+1

I drove small cars before , one of them was geo metro but never I had felling of unstability I experience with versa 20012 sedan. I used to drive with one hand on steering wheel , can't do it with this one. I got used to, to my car as it at around 30-35 mph slows its acceleration and then pass 35mph accelerate much faster while I keep my foot on the gas in the same position. But to keep car in my lane on the highway on windy day I will never get used to. Many times I thought of trading it for something alse but dont have guts and money to do it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 2012 hatch - brand freakin' new car - and it does feel a bit twitchy to me on the highway. I'll probably just live with it, since I pretty much drive with both hands anyway. I look like an old fart driving... as I calmly do 85 down the interstate.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Since I lowered and put on wider tires on my 09 it's not nearly as bad as it used to be but it will still wonder at times if the wind his just right.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OMG I take delivery today and there is a 50 mph cross wind outside. I have about 45 minutes of freeway driving to do on my way back from the dealer! Guess I will find out how twitchy the car is on my way back home. Stay tuned....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Versa wasn't bad in the wind at all. I was pleasantly surprised. Guess you can't trust auto reviewers ...LOL!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just wanted to chime in on this, I was recently in Florida 2 weeks ago, throughout that time I was driving my mother-in-law's 2012 Versa and I can attest to the fact that this car is twitchy in even the lightest crosswind. There were a lot of times where I thought the front end was going to lift up while coming off of the Dames Point Bridge since the decline is pretty steep. Had to ride the brakes on and off all the way down.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just drove 351 miles in a 2012 Versa 1.6S and man is it twitchy in the slightest breeze. I swear, if a dog farts on the side of the road the Versa might change lanes!

I passed an RV and nearly got sucked into it, I needed serious course correction.

I knew this was an issue before I purchased the car, I had read about it AND it happened on my test drive. 90% of the time we don't touch the highway so we figured we'd live with it on the occasional trips.

I assume it's a combination of the vehicle height and the low resistance tires. Nothing I can't handle but you MUST be aware of the issue.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I drive on the highway every day, only twitchiness comes from wind, but only at 70mph. Lower than that, wind doesn't effect steering for me. I can drive the Pali with one hand, except for that 1 tight hairpin.

It might not be wind, it might be the low resistance tires and small diameter wheels. Also the fact that I myself ain't a light dude, helps with keeping the car planted. :p

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
Mine did it til I got my SLs and new tires(bigger than my 14in. steelies). Im sure it'll get better if I lower it and get some body support. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'd wager a lot has to do with the weight. I actually feel the Versa is decent on the highway. Less so on back country roads. I've found sharp turns and turns featuring sudden stops are a bit unnerving. One or two times I've felt the tires kind of hop.

My 1st gen Prius was a small car. But with the battery pack it was heavier for it's size. As a result I think it stayed on track a little easier.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had my 2012 sedan for two months and i have 8000 miles on it. I drive highway about 60 miles a day and my car is all over the road. I have never drove anything this bad. I was driving a 1997 ford aspire and had no problem with it at all. Does anyone know if there is anything that can be done. going to get rid of it if not. cannot drive this for ten years like this.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Couple of thoughts to experiment with...

1. Load a bunch of weight into trunk, see if that effects driving positively or negatively.

2. Load weight into passenger side, see if that has a positive or negative affect.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts