Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've given new thought to switching from my bare bones 1.8S manual which I like very much to an SL. The primary reason for this is I was rear ended recently and there was damage to the frame. How much damage I don't know but I do know it's knocked a good $3,000 - $3,500 off the KBB value of my car and cost just a bit more than that to fix. Maybe I'm being silly but it just makes me wonder if I were rear ended again would I be as protected as I was before repairs were made or would I have someone parked in the back seat?

Anyway I was offered $12,000 from a dealer for my car which they didn't inspect for damage just did a walk around. I had it appraised at another place and it was valued at $9,000. The dealer I spoke with was offering to put me in the exact same car only an SL for $16,000 out the door. Which seems like a decent offer. Once everything is done with insurance I may just take up this offer and switch to an SL. I do expect the dealer to find the repairs and lower their offer accordingly.

Any thoughts, suggestions or comments are most welcome.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I love my SL. I especially like the stick and cruise control together. No jerkiness when I resume speed or accelerate [probably smooth with CVT too though]. A new S is better equipped than an 08 S, but idk about new SLs. IMO, worth it for the upgrade, go for it! 08v

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
It's up to you if you want to put more money down for essentially the same car ... but I would say the SL is worth the upgrade. I got everything in my Versa, so I can't say which feature I like best. The integrated bluetooth is great, especially for today's hands free law. Also, the CVT is a very smooth car. Some say it's boring, but as a daily driver, I really do enjoy it. It's not the funnest car out there, but it gets the job down and doesn't waste too much fuel while doing it. :)

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
think about it, you will never have to buy wheels, fog lights, paint the side skirts and bumpers, it will have MP3 plug in, blutooth, you won't have to change gears, just push the gas and hit the brake, plus it will have cruise control, and you won't have to add arm rest, and rear arm rest then when you're driving down the road, you can open the sunrooff!!!!

Especially if they're going to give you 12,000.00 dollars

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
think about it, you will never have to buy wheels, fog lights, paint the side skirts and bumpers, it will have MP3 plug in, blutooth, you won't have to change gears, just push the gas and hit the brake, plus it will have cruise control, and you won't have to add arm rest, and rear arm rest then when you're driving down the road, you can open the sunrooff!!!!

Especially if they're going to give you 12,000.00 dollars
LOL :)

He'd have to upgrade to get the sunroof, regular SL's don't have them ...
But they are a nice feature! I had mine wide open on the drive home from work today :) <3 it !!!!!!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
LOL :)

He'd have to upgrade to get the sunroof, regular SL's don't have them ...
But they are a nice feature! I had mine wide open on the drive home from work today :) <3 it !!!!!!

I would get one with the sunroof then to let the SL in
[SL= Sunlight :biggrinjester: J/K! :biggrinjester: ]

·
Registered
247 Posts
If I ever get the chance to get another Versa, I would definitely get an SL (If i could find one here with a sunroof I'd get it, I don't think they exists on the Vs in my area tho lol) over an S.

The SL's are nice, the bluetooth, wheels, foglights/spoiler on HB, the inteli key is pretty neat too. So yes, get the SL! Even if they knock off from the $12k when they find the damage, $16k is a good price for a SL, I can't get them under $18,500 here, which is why I didn't get it when I bought my Saturn, that and the dealer tried to screw me over in the money part.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I admit it's very tempting to jump on the SL. Like as has been mentioned I'd get all the bits I'm missing now and not have to add them on lol Although I have to admit I actually prefer shifting the gears myself although I did drive a rental Sentra and the CVT was very smooth and quite. Buzzy taking off but quite when driving.

They are offering 12k now for my car but when they inspect it and they will they will see the damage and I expect they would only offer 9k which is expected after a crash. I need to think it over alright.. it'd reset my loan but payments would be the same. Then again wouldn't it be odd to get an SL in the same colour haha!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is it a 2011 SL?

What year is your current V?

Is the frame damaged as to affect driveability?

The used small car market is very strong now that may be why the dealer offered so much.

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
What year is the SL? I personally prefer manual trannies so I'd get an S...so in your case I would get a newer S(power package), then add the parts the S doesnt have as you go. Most people end up getting aftermarket wheels anyway, or if that's not your taste you can always get Sentra SE-R alloys.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There’s an idea stick the SL badge on it lol.. My Versa is a 2009, looks and drives like new just don't have the power options.. which honestly I can live without or maybe best if I just have it added aftermarket? The frame damage is limited to the rear from what I understand. It was hit in the bumper. A trained eye would spot it I'm sure, the new bumper is off by just a few millimeters but not very much. Looking underneath I’ve no doubt that’s where the frame damage would be easily visible.

Both the dealer and CarMax admitted they were selling the Versa left and right mainly the hatchbacks. The dealership I stopped in with only had one hatchback on the entire lot and it was sold over the phone while I test drove it lol! CarMax admitted had there been no frame damage they’d offer $11,000 or $12,000 for it but with the damage I’d only get $9,000.

The new SL is a 2011 base SL and they could get me any color I wanted in it. They’d have to order it in but I’ve no doubt I’d not get any more than $9,000 from the dealer for my car once it’s properly appraised. I’ll admit $16,000 out the door for an SL is tempting. CarMax had a used SL with 6,000 miles on it for $15,990.

I don’t mind aftermarket wheels but I try to keep things looking fairly stock if I can. If I find something I like I’d jump on it. That is after I make up my mind about the SL lol Right now I’m leaning towards keeping the S and just adding a few bits to it.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Lol adding the "SL" badging is actually a good idea. I actually just removed mine. I found my hatch was looking too cluttered. Now just sporting the Nissan symbol and Versa badging.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lol adding the "SL" badging is actually a good idea. I actually just removed mine. I found my hatch was looking too cluttered. Now just sporting the Nissan symbol and Versa badging.

That's how mine looks like, dealer vinyl sticker is gone but.. and I'm a bit of a freak for details I noticed my Nissan badge is slightly off center and my Versa badge is also lower than it once was lol.. I don't know why I notice the smallest most insignificant things at times. Anyway I actually like how it looks without the dealer sticker but mine never did have an S on it just always said Versa.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
That's how mine looks like, dealer vinyl sticker is gone but.. and I'm a bit of a freak for details I noticed my Nissan badge is slightly off center and my Versa badge is also lower than it once was lol.. I don't know why I notice the smallest most insignificant things at times. Anyway I actually like how it looks without the dealer sticker but mine never did have an S on it just always said Versa.
I also noticed that some 2007 SLs did not come with the SL badging either. My dealership does not put stickers on their cars, they just put their license plate frames on. I removed those, no need to advertise for them .... Lol.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A clean 2009 S HB 6sp in great condition would book for $14,000 retail.

I've sold several cars out of my Driveway at retail price.

If you want the SL this is exactly what I'd do.

Sell it yourself!

Clean it completely, even in the engine compartment and wheel wells too. Get to as
close to showroom as possible. When you think your finished clean some more.
Remove all your stuff out of the car.

As you know the market is strong. Explain to the potential
buyer that you want a SL and you love the Versa. Show them
a photo of the previous rear damage and expalin that's why
you're selling it for $13,195 . Give a little but under no
circumstance drop below $12,800..... and only after
they make an offer...... I bet you get it.

Put it on Craigslist. Again the market is strong as you've seen yourself.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
$1400 for a used Model that's Been in an accident. How many kms are on it? I've seen fully loaded ones here, no accidents, between 50-70K for $15k. I think asking $14 is high, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
It seems a high price until you start looking for a used late model gas sipper.

Some factors are now driving up used small car prices.......

1. Fuel Prices are headed to over $5.00 per gallon.
2. Cash for clunkers reduced inventory and drove up prices for
all used cars.
3. Tsunami idled many Japanese plants. Nissan is only able to ship
half volume of parts and cars. Check your with your dealers.
4. Fleet buyers are now buying used cars at auctions too.
5. People are hanging on to their good small cars
6. The Versa has good resale value

All of this is increasing demand and will help the price.

He got an offer of $12,000 from a dealer, what do you suppose
the dealer would ask?

Like I said I sold many cars at retail from my driveway with no discount
at all.

I'm suggesting a maximum $1,200 discount for the damage. I'd be up front
and honest. The buyer will apreciate it and you'll feel better.

Get $12,800 and not a penny less.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.