Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cause I just ran my battery down using a Ham radio, and I got a jump start.

Now I drove around, and when I got home the battery was "11%" charged according to my electronic charger.

I understand the charging system is more of a "maintainer" but come on, it should be able to charge this up, no?

So I got it on the charger right now, topping it off.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
What kind of rig were you using?
How was it wired?
And how old is the battery?

I worked on a lot of vehicle based communications equipment in the military for a few years. I dealt with HF to UHF radios and I've dug into the Versa electronics quite a bit so I'm kind of in a good position to help out haha.

If you battery is in good shape and you drained it that much and your not using a huge amp I'd be looking at your wiring.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
my charger said "bad" it's only holding 10.1 volts.... attempting recharge.

checked the water, it's ok, the battery has been heavily drained 3-4 times in the past.

1. left radio on overnight
2. dome light overnight

I got a bad battery, what group is this battery type?

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
I don't think you'd need to check the water level on the battery, they're really not meant to be services like they use to. If you go to autozone or any other parts store they'll be able to look up the exact one you need. I've got an 07 hatch so it might be different.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
...and it seems that Nissan OEM batteries are crap, just reading the post over at niccoclub. It's a two year old battery with 40k on it.

I installed a EverStart Maxx 600cca Size 121R...a little taller than the OEM. The computer recommended a 51R, but no way in hell was that going to fit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm an army commo guy myself. 600CCA's isn't alot. The alternator isn't rated for much of a draw. The army has radio systems that can run off the vehicle alternator but its pushing 200 amps to handle it and thats with the throttle set just a little higher than idle. There are systems you can get that will automatically shut off the draw to the battery to leave enough juice to turn over the engine. Im not sure how you had it wired up but it'd be a good idea to get a system like i mentioned if you're forgetful like i am. :wink

1 - 6 of 6 Posts