Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 11v-s mr18 and I usually pump 87 unleaded no problems. pupmped unleaded "PLUS" and car ran AMAZING just put premium and oh shoot now my car acts like its on 2cyl...not sure if sudden power loss (witch only starts after vehicle warms and is in 2k+ rpm.. It sounds like I yanked my muffler and rocking on a 2cyl witch makes me think either this is either a AIR,SPARK, OR BANG issue. I have 58k on motor im very very good to her and im a mechanic but the car shows zero codes, lights or anything...just a horsepower loss and a sound change (DEEP 2 stroke sound). drives and runs fine but no power and might be a sighn of some of these horrible mr18 failures.

HELP ME!!

NO VISUAL SMOKE OR ANYTHING AT ALL! JUST POWER LOSS AND SOUND

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
idk.....

does it sound like this camry?

Also,
did the problem start after you added the premium fuel? if that's the case maybe the fuel was bad. or maybe you put diesel :shrug:

·
Registered
690 Posts
I've used full tanks of 91 for the additional premixed additives in high octane and no problems. Pull the intake and check those plugs for fouling.

Reactions: tiida11Az

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No it doesn't sound like that...im a mechanic and would recognize that. it just sounds like my intake and top end are muffled but EVERYTHING checks out..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I posted this in hopes of avoiding the teeth pulling process of simple plugs. BUT your right at this point I need to check the sparks and see what there telling me.
I have noticed it has gotten better..almost gone actually. my tank is almost empty and im hoping this was a case of shit fuel..
either way..This guy is buying new NKS's and intake gasket

·
Registered
690 Posts
Intake gasket is reusable, when you unbolt throttle body just hang it aside and don't unplug it, it will need idle air relearn if you unplug it. It's an easy job, I can do it in 10 minutes now. Also a good time to bypass the throttle body heating, just take the one throttle body hose and loop it back into the water bridge/distributor, and take the remaining hose off. Plugs need a 3/8 drive deep 14mm, and long extensions, you can pull them out with a magnet.

Reactions: tiida11Az

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know its re-usable but my time is not..im not going to risk it leaking and have to order it anyways. only $5 bucks no biggie. I appreciate the help..this motor and CVT just need to make it through the remainder of the 150,000 mile trans warranty so I can drop in a FULLY BUILT MR20DE with 6 speed manual. I love a fully built 1.6-2.4L JDM DOHC engine when its all motor, no boost.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I'm doing that swap too. Lightweight flywheel from Bob came a week or so ago. Going with high compression?

Let me know how it goes. Are you going with port and polish too? All that? I wondered if QR25 valves are significantly bigger, worth putting in and going whole hog.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm on board with the plug check and replacement, just did mine last weekend, made a big difference. I gapped them down to about 035-036, cuz 044 just seems way too big of a gap.

Also cleaned the TB, which was filthy, so that probly helped smooth her out too.

I've run tanks of premium intermittently with no issues as well, unless it was shart fuel, premium shouldn't cause any damage.

·
Registered
440 Posts
There may have been water in the fuel - this would explain why it runs like crap after putting 92 in it. Simple solution - put 2-3 bottles of HEET in the gas tank and let it run.

Why are you putting premium into your vehicle? Any mechanic knows that a non-performance vehicle with average compression ratings isn't going to benefit from a higher octane rating fuel.

The ONLY thing octane refers to is the ability to resist knock. There is no additional energy per molecule of 92 versus 87 therefore there is absolutely zero benefit. If anyone claims there is, they are experience the placebo effect. I still don't understand why people waste $ on a higher octane fuel. It is and always will be a waste of money, it is simply a lack of information as to what the numbers truly mean on a fuel pump.

·
Registered
690 Posts
People use high octane in their 87 cars because it generally contains more pre-mixed cleaners/additives, not because of octane rating. Everyone knows how octane works, that's not the issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea thanks for the breakdown on gas "Versa12"...i suggest fully understanding the engineering in modern engines before you dictate what any mechanic knows or doesn't know. ALSO Dr. Dipstick your bright idea to fix a possible bad fuel/spark plug issue "Simple solution - put 2-3 bottles of HEET in the gas tank and let it run"..THAT IS THE WORST THING TO DO! You clearly don't understand what that chemical does to your injectors and plugs. So thanks but keep your help.

07versa6MT-
yes high compression. the pistons, cams, valves, springs, retainers etc will be aftermarket/machined. Otherwise altering heads no, just exchange parts from other platforms so parts can be easy to get.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Yea thanks for the breakdown on gas "Versa12"...i suggest fully understanding the engineering in modern engines before you dictate what any mechanic knows or doesn't know. ALSO Dr. Dipstick your bright idea to fix a possible bad fuel/spark plug issue "Simple solution - put 2-3 bottles of HEET in the gas tank and let it run"..THAT IS THE WORST THING TO DO! You clearly don't understand what that chemical does to your injectors and plugs. So thanks but keep your help.
So the spark to the vehicle magically stopped working after filling up with premium? Oh brother, it is obvious the PROBLEM (According to YOUR description) occured immediately after filling your vehicle with the premium fuel. Therefore, the most intelligent/logical answer is that the fuel you put into your vehicle was contaminated. That is beyond obvious.....a mechanic should know that, right? Runs like crap......which is what happens after bad fuel. Sorry if that offended you...I didnt realize you would get so emotional. :crazy:

Secondly, if you know how HEET works it would most defintely help the vehicle burn the water off in a safe manner. Bad for injectors.....uhhhh....I don't even know where to being with that....I guess I am laughing a bit too hard.....same for the plugs.

Thirdly, I worked a an automotive shop so I know how vehicles work Einstein. We once had about 15 cars come to our shop due to bad gas - due to lack of contaminated fuel storage, we used our Fuel System Cleaning process (which included a version of HEET) and the vehicles all were safely fixed. A couple were actually torn down afterwards to check for internal damage/bent valves. No issues.

Per your request, I will be sure to never offer any further assistance to you. I'll let your "full mechanic knowledge" fix your simple problems. Like making a post about your car not running right after filling up your fuel tank.........wow. Especially after begging for help in all Caps. Or checking visually for spark....

People use high octane in their 87 cars because it generally contains more pre-mixed cleaners/additives, not because of octane rating. Everyone knows how octane works, that's not the issue.
I would say that not too many do. Shell is the most marketed in terms of their V Power in the premium grade. However, does it make much difference? I doubt it unless the motor has a large amount of carbon buildup. All fuel are required to have a variety of detergents/cleaners. I prefer to spend a couple bucks on a concentrated fuel injector cleaner if I do use them.

·
Registered
339 Posts
You know heet is just methanol and antifreeze right? Its corrosive towards older vehicles rubber fuel lines and plastic pats but new cars are made to handle alcohol to a certain point. As for filling up and instantly running like crap its bad gas. I guarantee if you took a fuel sample youd have water in it.( takes 5 min) put heet in the tank and it will be fine. Heet is just to keep the water contained in the gas so it deonst only suck water as waters heavier than gas.

·
Registered
339 Posts
And as for the octane rating towards performance. Yes higher octane on modern vehicle can allow more performance by allowing more timing put in the engine. Now this only happens if its not fully advanced already by the ecm. Its possible but not probable. Most ford run better with 91 because there setup to run more timing eec-iv/v loves to play with timing. A lot of fords ping unless you run a mix between 87/91

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Versa12 I'm not offended just don't see the point in a long message about octadiagnose the vehicle and couldn't find none assuming I don't know. your original message was one sided and arrogant, as are most of your posts.

jswilson1987. thanks I also agree with what you said, under my driving conditions and speeds higher grades are better for my vehicle.

I'm open for all advice and tips I just don't like one sided opinionated ignorant views. and considering Nissans MR18DE issues that's why I asked for feedback.

TESTED FUEL ALREADY, that's one of the reasons why I have this post because I ran through the vehicle and checked all these things and no engine codes. dealers going to take a look on Thursday because at this point if I dig in a deeper I'm going to void my warranty.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Versa12 I'm not offended just don't see the point in a long message about octadiagnose the vehicle and couldn't find none assuming I don't know. your original message was one sided and arrogant, as are most of your posts.

jswilson1987. thanks I also agree with what you said, under my driving conditions and speeds higher grades are better for my vehicle.

I'm open for all advice and tips I just don't like one sided opinionated ignorant views. and considering Nissans MR18DE issues that's why I asked for feedback.

TESTED FUEL ALREADY, that's one of the reasons why I have this post because I ran through the vehicle and checked all these things and no engine codes. dealers going to take a look on Thursday because at this point if I dig in a deeper I'm going to void my warranty.
I really shouldn't be responding but I find your post frusturating.

I may have come off as arogant, but I find it a waste of peoples time and money to believe in myths that have been proven inaccurate or false for years upon years. I worked for a shop for quite awhile and did not agree with the practice of ripping people off with inflated prices or uneeded service. That is why I left the industry.

Putting higher octane fuel is a waste of money. Simple. That is why I posted some information about what octane ratings actually mean. Seems to make sense to me since you said your car ran "amazing" after putting a higher octane fuel in it....which does nothing for it in terms of how it runs for a Versa....which you obviously thought it did somehow affect performance.

I gave you information as to what your problem is and you don't take it. Instead, you fire back upon me as if I am an idiot when you claim to be a mechanic or whatnot. Pulling the plugs and checking for spark is something nearly anyone can do and will give you a definite answer if they are firing or determing how strong the spark is by the color.

Again, if the issue started after filling up it is bad gas. That is the only variable in the factor of the vehicle running "Amazing" and then "on 2 cylinders". I'm not sure what method you took of testing the fuel, but I think you need to retest it. How exactly did you test it?

I suggest adding HEET to either fix the problem or rule out a possibility and you act like it is going to hurt your vehicle. Then you ask if I know what it does to the injectors/plugs.....In fact I do - it will do no harm.

But whatever. Waste the $ at the dealership instead of spending a whole $5 on HEET and fixing the problem yourself.

·
Registered
690 Posts
If you're going to add a fuel additive, i prefer Seafoam, but to each their soapbox. Injectors won't be hurt by using a fuel additive, they aren't pintle injectors anyways. Could be you filled up your car right after the truck filled the tanks at the station, which stirs all the shit and water up. Diesels are very sensitive to good/bad fuel, as the entire mechanical injection system is lubricated by the fuel, and fluid seals are metal interference fit.

Generally the sock will catch most of the shit, but if you filled up from E then it could have worked it's way in.

Let me know when you do the build. People serious about making their Versa's faster need to stick together to get the ball rolling. However, parts from other motors will probably fit, QR25 top end looks very similar, and there's tons of aftermarket support for QR's. TurboSentra08 (built MR20DE turbo) said VQ racing springs fit on the MR. There is also build kits out there. Specifically Import Performance Parts - Nissan HP Engine Kits

You can even get your 11:1 pistons in that kit, and bore it over if you want.

I don't like Jim (TurboSentra08) but he is one of if not the first to get serious with an MR motor...

·
Registered
877 Posts
I have a 11v-s mr18 and I usually pump 87 unleaded no problems. pupmped unleaded "PLUS" and car ran AMAZING just put premium and oh shoot now my car acts like its on 2cyl...not sure if sudden power loss (witch only starts after vehicle warms and is in 2k+ rpm.. It sounds like I yanked my muffler and rocking on a 2cyl witch makes me think either this is either a AIR,SPARK, OR BANG issue. I have 58k on motor im very very good to her and im a mechanic but the car shows zero codes, lights or anything...just a horsepower loss and a sound change (DEEP 2 stroke sound). drives and runs fine but no power and might be a sighn of some of these horrible mr18 failures.

HELP ME!!

NO VISUAL SMOKE OR ANYTHING AT ALL! JUST POWER LOSS AND SOUND

I have read the entire thread, and one item that I did not see mentioned was the possibility of a clogged catalytic converter Usually the loss of power will come in at around 2000 rpms depending on the gravity of the obstruction. Good luck!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.