Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys this is probably a seriously dumb question to most of you but to be honest, Im very new at all of this. Ive never done maintenance on my car before (aside from changing the air filter lol).

Ive decided to learn a few things from doing a tonne of reading and watching video's. I will be changing my rotors and break pads and I was hoping someone can tell me where I should be jacking my car up(like what area of the car).

I also plan on doing a transmission fluid change and most likely my own oil changes so this is obviously pretty important information to use.

Its a 2008 nissan versa sedan

Can people recommend jacks I should use for this? Maybe provide a pic or two for me?

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know that cars come with jacks but they are pretty basic. Is it okay to do jackone side of the car up and change your brakes that way? Common sense tells me it might not as sometimes you have to use a hammer and bang away when changing your rotors/ brakes

I was thinking of buying this becuase its half price at Canadian tire. So do I need to buy one or can I just use the one that comes with the vehicle?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
We have one similar to the one you pictured (from CT). You can use the jack that came with the car, but you will need to put extra supports (stands) under the car. Don't ever trust just the jack if you are working under the car. Hope this helps. :blue flower:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I know that cars come with jacks but they are pretty basic. Is it okay to do jackone side of the car up and change your brakes that way? Common sense tells me it might not as sometimes you have to use a hammer and bang away when changing your rotors/ brakes

I was thinking of buying this becuase its half price at Canadian tire. So do I need to buy one or can I just use the one that comes with the vehicle?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Yeah that jack looks fine. I just use princess auto floor jacks. And yeah that sounds fine for your brake work, just make sure its on jack stands, and the wheels that are on the ground are blocked. One thing people seem to forget when your using a floor jack is they can roll, so block your tires. I wouldn't use the jack that came with your car. I typically jack my car up on the pinch welds, and put the jack stands there as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.