Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

Has anyone installed the jet module or MAF sensor in a MR18DE engine?

I'd like that to be my next mod, any comments will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Some guy did the MAF, not sure anyone with any sense would do the PCM "upgrade". Even if anything is changed, it's usually general stuff that may or may not help your engine. Usually rev limit is raised and fuel is added in certain areas on the map, that's about it. It's a waste of money. The MAF is fine with any HP levels anyone has or will ever reach with this car. They claim they reduce the restriction caused by MAF housings, except this sensor is not restrictive in the least sense, i don't see any improvements you could make to it. Matter of fact they likely take cores, rebuild and test them, then engrave a Jet logo on it and sell it as a performance product. This same exact sensor (minus calibration differences) is used in tons of other cars, if there was room for improvement through the collective of brands that use this sensor, you'd know about it.

The guy who bought it will either not reply or say that he felt something just because he feels bad about chucking that much money down the drain, for nothing at all.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Some guy did the MAF, not sure anyone with any sense would do the PCM "upgrade". Even if anything is changed, it's usually general stuff that may or may not help your engine. Usually rev limit is raised and fuel is added in certain areas on the map, that's about it. It's a waste of money. The MAF is fine with any HP levels anyone has or will ever reach with this car. They claim they reduce the restriction caused by MAF housings, except this sensor is not restrictive in the least sense, i don't see any improvements you could make to it. Matter of fact they likely take cores, rebuild and test them, then engrave a Jet logo on it and sell it as a performance product. This same exact sensor (minus calibration differences) is used in tons of other cars, if there was room for improvement through the collective of brands that use this sensor, you'd know about it.

The guy who bought it will either not reply or say that he felt something just because he feels bad about chucking that much money down the drain, for nothing at all.

i agree, and the same can be said for any "chip" that promises any gains....i've been part of several enthusiast forums throughout the years and anyone who has experience on any of them will tell you the same thing....not worth the money, better to get a real tune

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I've been reading lots of reviews and some say yes, some say no, but almost all of them complaint about the installation instructions so maybe a bad connection or contact may be the reason why in some cases it works fine and in others is a waste of money.

There was one review that particularly catches my attention because he said that after cleaning the injectors, throttle body and some other parts, the MAF sensor gains were noticiable, is it possible (I have no idea) that with a not so "healthy" engine the outcome may be the opposite as expected?

Sorry if my english is not so good, I'm also practicing it here...

·
Registered
226 Posts
CL Mythbusters - GForce Performance Chip - Club Lexus Forums

The link above will tell you everything you need to know. If you don't follow it, here's what I wrote before I found that thread:

I wouldn't touch that thing. that is a resistor in a fancy case. I could do the same thing with a 5$ bill and a trip to my local hardware store. Actually I could do it for free, as I have a few resistors, wires and electrical tape in my garage...

It has a 2 wire connection that works in either direction... that's one dead giveaway. And all it connects to is the MAF. If it connects to the IAT, it's the same principle.

If you know anything about ECU's and how they work, or about what the MAF does, you'll know that there is only one thing that making a connection there can do, and that is:

change the reading that the ECU receives from the MAF. You are artificially making the ECU see more air than it is expecting to see, which forces the ECU to respond by increasing the fuel supply.

That can do a couple things:
True, it MAY improve power by giving more fuel, but more likely it sends the vehicle into an over-rich state, triggering an engine code, and possibly putting the car into limp mode.

At the same time your car will smoke more, clog the 02 sensors, and clog the catalytic converters.

The rating of the resistor in that case, and the tolerances of the engine's ECU will determine if the ECU can handle the added resistance and artificial signal from the MAF.

It's a dangerous product.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Even then, if it's within threshold, ECM will compensate in a few drive cycles.

The MAF's are simple devices, it's a Whetstone bridge circuit, and you can't do anything apart from change resistor resistances, which would do nothing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.