Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone. I have a serious 'techy' question to ask, and I'm hoping someone may have some of the information I'm searching for. Let me just get right to the point....

My daughter was given an 07' Versa sedan SL w/ 164k miles on it. Aside from being dirty, the interior is exceptional, and the exterior is silver w/ a black primed front bumper cover and a RH front fender that has some wrinkles. The engine runs perfectly from what I can tell. The car has been sitting for nearly 2 years due to transmission(cvt) shifting problems. I do not know exactly what. The dealer told her she needed a transmission. So....now it's here at my house, and I'm trying to help. I am going to pull the pan and filters and perform a filter clean and fluid refill to see if by chance it helps. I have only driven the car a few miles due to lack of insurance currently. I didn't notice anything, but the trans did/does seem to whine a little like a power steering pump might sound if it were low on fluid. The trans does appear to be doing what it's supposed to, but I haven't had it above 50mph yet. The tires were brand new 2 years ago but one seems to have a flat spot from sitting, so there is a 'bumping' feeling while rolling. Now, for the 'meat' of my post....

If the fluid/filter service doesn't make things better, it's likely trans swap time. I've done several, but on VWs of the same year range, no Nissans. Can anyone tell me what year range CVTs are compatible with this 07'? From what I've seen/read, there is a module inside the trans that needs to stay with the car if a new trans is put it. Can anyone confirm? My next, more 'out there' question is this.... Is there another cvt that will work without ridiculous amounts of stress? I found a low mileage 11' Juke 2wd cvt trans for $200, and I was pondering taking on the swap. I have a suspicion that it will bolt up, but I don't know about the possible Nissan 'techy' parts that might not work. I know with VW's, it can be done, but all electronics are outside of the transmission, and there is no ECU adaptation needed if an auto is swapped for another auto, or manual for another manual. I understand that the gear ratios will not be the same, but it should be close enough. Has anyone ever done this or at least heard of it? Is it even worth it? Can anyone point me to a link with this information, maybe? I think the Juke trans is built a little sturdier, but I don't know if it is even compatible. I haven't had much luck finding any information about this having been done, which makes me think it may not be feasible. I don't want to do it if I have to buy some kind of Nissan software, or do anything too crazy. I'm just trying to get her car going for a while, and I've stumbled across a good Juke transmission and it got my curiosity going. Talk to me folks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Unfortunately, most modern Nissans have specific software and parts for each model. The Juke has a different engine and specs than the '07 Versa that your daughter has. If i was looking to do a CVT swap, I'd look for a tranny out of an '07-13 model with the MR18DE engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't swap in another CVT. I agree with dkmura, if you're going to go through all that work then you should know of the class action lawsuit and other CVT failures before you continue. I would look for a different compatible engine such as the MR18DE or HR16DE with a standard trans or a 4-speed auto. Anything else CVT will just go out again, whether it's 30k miles or 100k miles there's no telling.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts