Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
366 Posts
Do you know if the manual transmission fluid has been changed?? If you are going to do it yourself you'll need a special adapter for the drain plug. It is square, it is not 3/8" and not 1/2". I purchased one a while ago and think it might be an 8mm?? (but I'm not sure)
Also the manual transmission fluid isn't cheap. Again, if memory serves it took me just under 3 quarts.
I'm due for a coolant change, but haven't done it yet. And like the manual transmission fluid, you are supposed to use a special Nissan coolant.
I live in a dusty environment, so I change my engine air filter and cabin air filter every year, so you may want to check yours.
Depending if the previous owner changed the battery, you may have to add distilled water to the battery. Mine uses a T4 and I have to add water from time to time.
I also change my own engine oil, so I keep up with that. Pretty easy task and the crankcase holds just over 3 quarts.
I can say that my 2016 Versa (manual transmission) has been a faithful dependable companion. It's not going to win any drag races, but it does get 40-42 mpg (city/highway combined).

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok great! Thx 4the info. I do know the oil was just changed a week ago, when I asked the dealer do any other fluids need changing, he said "not that I'm aware of" so I said cool. I talked 2a guy in the service dept

· Registered
366 Posts
Do you also periodically bleed your brakes?
I do the turkey baster thing. I use my pinky to remove the screen and have a small hose on the end of a turkey baster, draw out some fluid and replace with fresh.

I had it done once at the dealership, but the fluid didn't appear to change color.

Since the clutch master shares the fluid reservoir with the brake master and the dealership refused to bleed the clutch hydraulic system, a lot of fluid didn't get changed. I figure as long as I get some out and replace it with fresh, it should stay fairly good. I also have a brake fluid tester and each sample I've pulled tests green (OK).

· Registered
366 Posts
Cool! Why wouldn't the dealer bleed the hydraulic sys? Lazy or what?
I got into a slight argument with the service manager who insisted that the clutch hydraulic system did not share the brake master cylinder reservoir. What he didn't know is I had traced the line from the clutch master cylinder back to brake master cylinder reservoir.
I told the service manager that only part of the fluid had been flushed, if the mechanic failed to flush the clutch hydraulic system, and that the clutch master did not have its own separate reservoir. He told me I didn't know what I was talking about.
Later that day, I got a call from the service manager. He called Nissan engineering and found out both systems (do in fact) share the same reservoir, but he still refused to flush the clutch's hydraulic system.
At that point, I decided to go with the turkey baster method and not waste my money on the so called dealership brake fluid flush.
I've been using the turkey baster method on my other vehicles and my work truck is 25 years old with no problems or issues with the hydraulic system, so I'll take my chances with that method for the Versa.

· Registered
366 Posts
The FSM (section BR-12) instructs to bleed brakes via the bleeder valves at all 4 corners.
Yes, for an automatic transmission Versa this method would successfully flush all of the old brake fluid.
As for the manual transmission Versa(s) which utilizes a hydraulic clutch. That system shares the brake master cylinder reservoir thus, you are still leaving old contaminated brake fluid in the system. If the mechanic is not willing to flush all four brakes and the clutch slave cylinder, you are just diluting the old fluid with new, which is the same as my turkey baster method (and it costs a lot less)

· Registered
748 Posts
I wonder if one brings a manual Versa in for a service, including brakes bleeding (the owner's manual calls for brakes bleeding every 2 years), how would a tech at a Nissan shop do it.

For what it worth, a previous car in my family Toyota Echo 5-speed had the same setup, where a hydraulic clutch shared the brake master cylinder. For entire 16 years we had it the brakes never been bleeded, and only one time the front pads were replaced. All those years the brakes were super effective.

· Registered
366 Posts
I wonder if one brings a manual Versa in for a service, including brakes bleeding (the owner's manual calls for brakes bleeding every 2 years), how would a tech at a Nissan shop do it.
I can only speak about my experience at my particular dealership. I don't know how other dealerships and Nissan Service Techs would handle a manual transmission Versa (brake fluid flush)..
I do know the dealership (where I purchased my Versa) had to search high and low for a manual transmission variant (that I requested). I'm guessing that I was the first to ask about the hydraulic clutch flushing along with the brake fluid flush (since the service manager didn't know about the shared reservoir).

For what it worth, a previous car in my family Toyota Echo 5-speed had the same setup, where a hydraulic clutch shared the brake master cylinder. For entire 16 years we had it the brakes never been bleeded, and only one time the front pads were replaced. All those years the brakes were super effective.
That is interesting that Toyota utilizes a similar setup. I thought it was just Nissan trying to save a few bucks. I wonder how common this (shared reservoir) is??
My old GM truck has two separate reservoirs, one for the brakes and one for the hydraulic clutch. I've been using the turkey baster method on it for over 25 years... no problems or issues with either hydraulic system.

· Registered
748 Posts
My old cars also had separate systems for the brakes and the hydraulic clutch. However, additionally to 2001 Echo, 2011 Toyota Yaris 5-speed hatch also had shared brakes and clutch system. I would think it becomes more common for lower end models.

· Super Moderator
442 Posts
Anything I should be Cautious of maintenance wise? Got 68,785mi right now
Being a 1.6s w/ 5spd, that's about as simple as it gets. Not much needed to do. You had a choice of 4spd AT, CVT or 5spd up until 2017. The 4spd AT went away after that.

I personally wouldn't sweat the shared brake / slave cylinder fluid thing. If anything, use a vac pump or the likes to evacuate and refill the reservoir and replace what ever fluid is lost during a brake bleed.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, for an automatic transmission Versa this method would successfully flush all of the old brake fluid.
As for the manual transmission Versa(s) which utilizes a hydraulic clutch. That system shares the brake master cylinder reservoir thus, you are still leaving old contaminated brake fluid in the system. If the mechanic is not willing to flush all four brakes and the clutch slave cylinder, you are just diluting the old fluid with new, which is the same as my turkey baster method (and it costs a lot less)
Man, 4 days later my "LOOSE FUEL CAP" message pop up on the screen! Ughh. 1 customer said buy a gas cap cause they loosen & wear out, a carmax tech said bring it into the svc dept, that's a easy fix. I already made a svc appt, soonest day is next Tuesday 😦 lord. Lol. That should be covered under my warranty right?

· Registered
366 Posts
That should be covered under my warranty right?
I have no idea if that is considered a warranty item or not.
Where I live, we have to go for an emissions test/inspection every two years. I always purchase a new gas cap right before the test. They are around $5 on rockauto.com
For me... its not worth the hassle of failing the test, going to get a new cap and waiting in line for a re-test.
I know on my versa, you have to turn the cap until you hear one click. Other gas caps instruct you to turn it until you hear 3 clicks.
You may want to ask if you have an OE gas cap or an aftermarket gas cap??
My girlfriend didn't close her cap completely on her Dodge and it threw a P0457 code. I just closed it properly, cleared the code and ran a drive cycle.. all good. Now she insists on me filling her car with gas (when it needs it). I think she left it loose on purpose as she hates pumping gas.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts