Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
well there are many models of the soul and Versa now with different engines. Exactly which ones are you looking into? I like them both but you should definitely drive them to see which one you like better.

I think the funky styling of the soul is great. Has alot more character then a Versa. Both offer great passenger room with the Versa seeming to be a little better in the backseat for the kids.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
You're asking on the wrong forum buddy lol, 90% of people here will tell you the Versa hence nissanversaFORUM lol. The Soul is pretty cool too tho. But in all seriousness, I think the Versa is great for the kids because of the roominess and great gas mileage. But like Rob said you would have to drive both to really make an informed decision. Good luck and Welcome =)

·
Administrator
5,024 Posts
Welcome, since I have never been in a Kia Soul I can't give you much info on the comparison, a friend of mine has a Kia Optima and he has heated seats, power seats, climate control all of which the Versa doesnt have. Not sure what features come on the Soul.

MY best advice is build each car online : compare features and prices. Goodluck

http://www.kia.com/us/

http://www.nissanusa.com/

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Wife's co-worker had a Kia Soul. Was "in the shop all the time"
I've never owned a perfect car, and it's a database of one, but to me the Soul doesn't make the short list.
I'm kinda fond of the Kia Optima, but based strictly on looks, size and manual transmission.
For my two cents, it's the Versa :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Welcome, since I have never been in a Kia Soul I can't give you much info on the comparison, a friend of mine has a Kia Optima and he has heated seats, power seats, climate control all of which the Versa doesnt have. Not sure what features come on the Soul.

MY best advice is build each car online : compare features and prices. Goodluck

Kia Cars, SUVs, Crossovers, Minivans, & Future Vehicles | Kia Motors

Nissan Cars, Trucks, Crossovers, & SUVs | Nissan USA
the note has all those features minus the power seats and i have ridden in a kia soul before...let's just say i was not impressed with the looks or ride

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have not had kia,but i have a 2009 versa, the exhausting pipe broke and fall off at millage 90000 km.window wiper needed to be replaced after 6 months. seat is not comfortable no matter how you adjust it. it is not so gas saving car also comparing to my previous honda.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My sister in law works with a few people that own Kia Souls. She says they are cheap and problem prone. She really likes my 2010 Versa HB and says it feels much better quality wise. Buy what you like, but Versa also has much cheaper insurance costs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Drove and researched both vehicles and went with the 2014 Versa Note SV w/CVT.

Our requirements are probably different so I'll lay out my list
MPG - Both fit the bill. WIN - Versa Note - 31/40 and with less than 100 miles we're averaging 38 with about 15% being city. Don't usually start to take seriously until after 10K.
Ride - We live 1 mile off pavment on a county maintained, bus route road. Ride must be decent. Win - Versa (especially the 2014 Hatchback)
Interior Noise - Above reason plus we drive a lot due to rural location - above 20K year and I work from home. Win - Versa
Hatchback - A must for our situation. The Soul seemed to have slightly more room in the hatch. Win - Soul
Rear Room - Must be able to fit two adults comfortably, the kids are growing fast. Win - Soul but not by much.The Soul fit 2 adults and one of our kids a little better in width but leg room is comparable. Win - Soul
Price - Pretty close for the options we wanted. Win - Neither
Warranty - It doesn't matter because it will expire before you need it :) WIN - Soul has a better powertrain warranty. (10y/100K vs 5y/60K)

Although many other minor things are better, overall we were more impressed with the Note and it has better visibility in the rear. The Soul has the rear pillar/column that would impress Greece architects but not so good for needing to check your blind spot.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Drove and researched both vehicles and went with the 2014 Versa Note SV w/CVT.

Warranty - It doesn't matter because it will expire before you need it :) WIN - Soul has a better powertrain warranty. (10y/100K vs 5y/60K)

Although many other minor things are better, overall we were more impressed with the Note and it has better visibility in the rear. The Soul has the rear pillar/column that would impress Greece architects but not so good for needing to check your blind spot.
Does the new Note have the same CVT warranty as my Versa ?

My CVT is warrantied for 200,000 kms or 10 years :D :jumping:
Currently at 5.5 years & 93,000 kms & no CVT issues (& the fluid doesn't need changing til 200,000kms).

·
Registered
3 Posts
My CVT is warrantied for 200,000 kms or 10 years :D :jumping:
Currently at 5.5 years & 93,000 kms & no CVT issues (& the fluid doesn't need changing til 200,000kms).
Directly from nissanusa.com Owner Portal
Every Nissan is backed by a 36-month/36,000-mile limited vehicle coverage and a 5-year/60,000-mile limited powertrain coverage. 2003-2010 Vehicles equipped with a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) also have a 10-year /120,000 mile CVT limited warranty extension. (For complete information, see your Nissan dealer and read the actual limited warranty.) For extra protection, you can also add Security+Plus®, the only extended service agreement approved by Nissan.
Just checked the service manual and it shows the CVT fluid should get replaced at 60K miles (100K KM?)

·
Registered
637 Posts

Just checked the service manual and it shows the CVT fluid should get replaced at 60K miles (100K KM?)

same thing i found in my Notes service manual, first CVT fluid change at 60,000 miles. I think the reason the 2008-2010 had the longer warranty is because they were first generation CVT units where as after 2010 Nissan started using the second generation units.

P.S.

Also food for thought, the Kia Soul is classified as a compact vs. the Versa Note which is a subcompact so not really comparable aside from sharing alot of characteristics, glad you chose the Note though, i'm sure you will like it more the more you drive it :)

·
Registered
6,563 Posts

All the Nissan dealerships around me (there are 3 of them) have told me to not change the fluid until 200,000 kms. :)

That sucks about not having the same extended warranty ... but regardless, when I bought the vehicle I didn't know about the extended warranty ... so either way I still would have bought the Versa with CVT.

Enjoy your purchase :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
All the Nissan dealerships around me (there are 3 of them) have told me to not change the fluid until 200,000 kms. :)

That sucks about not having the same extended warranty ... but regardless, when I bought the vehicle I didn't know about the extended warranty ... so either way I still would have bought the Versa with CVT.

Enjoy your purchase :)
Hi Ash, I was told by the two dealerships in Brampton to look to change CVT at 100,000KM's. I think this is better than 200,000KM's. I agree with the comments above that 100,00KM's should be a target range, + or - a few thousand KM's.

I had my CVT Fluid changed last month at $127,000KM's and it was VERY BLACK. It should be green, no black. I would not wait to 200K KM's and use best practise. If your local dealerships say 200K, then get it in writing in case something happens. Not changing the CVT Fluid when you are supposed to can void this extended warranty. You should also check with Nissan Canada (or USA corporate if applicable) to verify and if different than 100K, get it in writing from them. Otherwise you have nothing to fall back on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.