Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter has her 2007 Versa home for a while now and says that it does not start like it used to, when she got it in 2019 from a used car dealer down in FL. I tried it and the difference seems to be that while at first when you turned the key, the engine would start almost immediately; now it makes one or two cranking sounds then starts.

I took it to an Autozone thinking possibly a weak battery, but they said the battery was good.

I can't really afford to simply throw money at it until i find out a solution that might never come with what i am capable of, and though i suspect it can't be a bad idea to replace the plugs (i really hope they are easily accessible on this) and start adding Berryman B-12 or Techron, i was hoping that one of you folks that knows what you are doing could give me a prioritized hit list of what to do.

Thank you for your help!!!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Save your money on the chemicals. Plugs are not "easy" to get to, and I wouldn't look at them unless it's misfiring or over 100k miles. You really need data to live forward without wasting money. It would be worth it to seek out a diagnostic tech in your area and pay the fee. This is always the best choice when people don't have the tools or know how to tackle drivability complaints. It's early always cheaper than guessing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank-you!!!

I will give a try with my cheap-o scanner, didn't think of checking for any pending codes without the MIL on, but now you folks mention it, i recall they can be present-

As my opportunities to check that car are sporadic, may i say now MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

·
Registered
08 versa hb
20 Posts
My daughter has her 2007 Versa home for a while now and says that it does not start like it used to, when she got it in 2019 from a used car dealer down in FL. I tried it and the difference seems to be that while at first when you turned the key, the engine would start almost immediately; now it makes one or two cranking sounds then starts.

I took it to an Autozone thinking possibly a weak battery, but they said the battery was good.

I can't really afford to simply throw money at it until i find out a solution that might never come with what i am capable of, and though i suspect it can't be a bad idea to replace the plugs (i really hope they are easily accessible on this) and start adding Berryman B-12 or Techron, i was hoping that one of you folks that knows what you are doing could give me a prioritized hit list of what to do.

Thank you for your help!!!
That's not much information to work with. If you are sure the battery is good and the motor is turning over quickly enough, that is the first thing to make sure of. How many miles are on the car? As others have stated, a scan with a diagnostic tool would be a good idea. If the mileage is high and you do not know the cars history, the plugs would be a good place to start. I have done that job and it is a fair amount of work, but not to complicated or terribly expensive( maybe 50-75$, depending on what parts you use). I replaced the plugs in my 08 at 70k miles. And there are videos online to help you out. Other than that it could be any number of things. Coil packs could be an issue if nothing shows up on a scan. Maybe that would be indicated on a scan, I don't know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suspect what i fear most at this point are that the injectors are getting clogged, but i know i best start somewhere and you folks have pointed me in the right direction. I'llpost back with anything i find; Thank you!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Can't say I have ever seen plugs cause hard starting that didn't also misfire while running. With a scantool that reads live data, you can tell a lot. Just spend the $10 and get a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle and an app. They are worlds better than anything else for much more money. I made a video in the diy how to section of the spark plug process a while back.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! I really am leaning towards the injectors needing cleaning, but i liked the test with starter fluid. Of course, the way he sprayed it, i was expecting an explosion... Got some good ideas for the future also, just wish he wouldn't yell so much! Watch a lot of his videos-

·
Registered
550 Posts
Bad fuel pump likely, since you'd have to have data to show that a regulator was actually not working, which I've never seen on a setup like this.

Also, throw Scotty kilmers channel on the trash. The guy is terrible and promotes parts changing. Steer to Scannerdanner, south Main auto, or Schrodinger's box quantum mechanics to learn how to diagnose problems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thank you, i'll have a look at those as i frequently am a little (OK, more than a little) annoyed at Scotty yelling all the time, and many of the videos take forever to get around to the titled information, if ever.

As to the pump/regulator, i zeroed in on it from
which clearly identified the regulator as the issue in the case presented - and my issues were identical to all presented, but i found that replacement regulators these days cost about as much as the dang full pump assembly (albeit one of the lower end pump assemblies). Of course, it still could be the pump itself, but i have to say that whichever it was, we seem to be running fine now!.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts