Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
It is Almost(next service) time for my 1st Sparkplug change.

I need to do some research, thus starting to ask the questions here at the Home of the Versa/Tiida/Latio ...

Apparently there are 2 kinds of Irriduim spark plugs.

1. Normal OEM type Irridium Spark plugs that you do every 90K Km.
2. Lazer Irridium Spark plugs that you do evert 160k km <-the engine most probably wont even last through your second changes. but one can dream. :).

Now to get to my Question.
Can you buy Lazer Irridium spark plugs for the Versa/Tiida, and is it a Viable option to do it?

Cause As we all know replacing the HR16De's Spark plugs is quite expensive with the Manifold removal etc that needs to be done.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Well a couple years ago, and when i was inexperienced, i pulled out the plugs, just to realize the part number the parts places had is wrong, and it's an unusual thread for a plug. There was (and likely still is) only OEM available. OEM is Denso i think.

Correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure the OEM plugs are for more than 90K intervals. At least that's what i remember, i'll check Mitchell tonight.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I have a 2009 HR16DE and the plugs according to the manual is fxe20he11 which are denso iridium long life plugs. The maintenance manual states to change them every 105,000 miles or 84 months. This is for a US spec though and not sure if other countries are the same or not.

I am currently at 144k miles and they are still going strong. Plan on swapping them out this summer when I have about 160k miles.

As with any replacement part I check with nissan to find the OEM part number and then use aftermarket companies to cross reference. Seems to be too common to get the wrong part by just going by the autoparts store computer. So far on Versa's we have had issues with spark plugs and brake pads with wrong part numbers in the system.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mmm, Ok. I will check, if part numbers and the tread is a problem.
With the brake pads the 1st set was not correct, and had them exchanged, and got the correct ones afterwards, and are fairly common, as there is allot of similarities on the Diffrent nissans nowadays.
Otherwise, i will just go to a Nissan Agent and buy it from them.
In our Country the manual states that 95 000 - 100 000km you need to change them.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Look in your manual and let us know if it's the same part number as I have listed. I been looking into vehicles from other countries and it seems alot of things have shorter maintenance intervals than here in the US. I wonder why that is if all parts are the same?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Fwiw I changed mine at 200000km, and mechanic said appeared they didn't need change yet. I wouldn't bother yet

·
Registered
339 Posts
Check the gap check the electrode and if there still good clean them with brake cleaner and a soft brush and put them back in unless the engine is missing i wouldn't worry about it

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
If I'm going through all the trouble to inspect them I might as well replace. I need to order them because no local part stores carry my plug anyway. Also if it were just a matter of unscrewing them and screwing them back in I might check them, clean and reuse. But with needing to remove the intake manifold, and disconnect the coolant lines to the TB (not sure on this), I'm just going to swap them out. Figure if the first set was swapped at 150k miles I will only be changing them once.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good day, So I eventually Got the plugs. Now to get that manifold off and replace them..
I ended up Purchasing it from a Nissan Agent. as the Spare shops where more expensive..

Part number in our country for these plugs : 22401-ED814
and NGK is the manufacurer of these plugs.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Look in your manual and let us know if it's the same part number as I have listed. I been looking into vehicles from other countries and it seems alot of things have shorter maintenance intervals than here in the US. I wonder why that is if all parts are the same?
The reason the US/CA have longer intervals has to do with how the emissions are certified. It's a long story, but you get 105K changes, to have it occur after 100K waranty (emission performance) is up. Plus, plugs and gas have gotten soo much better.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, all good an well I got the Plugs..
I took the Intake off (watched this one Vid on youtube, the guy made it seem like such a mission, where it is not even 5 minutes), and got me thinking.. I need a CAI :).

I noticed that none of my sparkplug pullers reaches the plugs in the bottom, it gets stoped halfway through the head. So I have to search for the correct puller for this car (after buying about 5 diffrent ones already).

·
Registered
690 Posts
Just need a 14mm deep and extension. Pull them out with a magnet, make sure there's no shit in the plug bores before you take them out.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Just need a 14mm deep and extension. Pull them out with a magnet, make sure there's no shit in the plug bores before you take them out.
I usually use a shopvac after I unscrewed the plug one half turn to remove any dirt that may fall inside the combustion chamber.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts