Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Versa Note S (1.6L 5M) with about 85000 miles under the hood. I have put about 35000 miles on the car since I bought it.

I was doing an engine oil/filter change today and noticed that one of my transmission output shaft seals is leaking. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with replacing these on the manual transmission and if they would recommend this as a DYI or a shop job. I would rate myself as a someone who is willing on taking on a DYI, but has limited tools and experience. My car has not been into a shop for probably the last 20000 miles, as I have done all of the maintenance (consisting of 4-5 oil changes and I new set of brakes in the front) myself. I have moved out of state about 6 months ago and haven't messed with finding a local shop yet since moving. I am putting between 3000 and 4000 miles on the car per month since moving, so I don't want to hesitate too long on the repair.

The biggest concern would be with tackling this would be how easy is it to top off the fluid in the transfer case/transmission (or is it something which I wouldn't need to mess with)? Also, would I need any special tools besides the basic mechanics tools?

Kind of a side question, does anyone know how you tell how much clutch is left in a car? It seems to engage towards the end of the pedal, but I believe that Versas are notorious for being harder to shift than an average manual. I am not sure how the previous owner drove it and if they were good with a manual, so they could have burned a fair amount of it up over 50000 miles that they drove it. I put alot of highway miles on, so I would love to see at least another 30000-40000 miles before a replacement, but didn't know if that is feasible.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
Those axle seals aren't particularly difficult replace if you can get a seal puller that fits and will work. After you pop the axle out of the transmission side with a prybar, If you have a helper, you might be able to get away with just removing the two bolts on the strut and having someone pull on the knuckle, while you pop the axle out of the transmission and let it ha g aside while you replace the seal. Or you can take the axle nut off, remove two start bolts, and outer tie rod end, and take the axle out that way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts