Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having this problem with any of their light fixtures? My left rear brake light keeps going out, and by going out, i mean, like, power stops reaching it. I cant figure it out and im afraid to rip into the wiring to check. Litterally if i remove the bulb and put it back in, it works.......for a couple days, then goes back out again. Nothing wrong with the bulb itself. I even changed it to be sure. Same thing. Super annoying since im a full time lyft driver and im ALWAYS on the road at night. Id rather not end up with a ticket lol.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Anyone having this problem with any of their light fixtures? My left rear brake light keeps going out, and by going out, i mean, like, power stops reaching it. I cant figure it out and im afraid to rip into the wiring to check. Litterally if i remove the bulb and put it back in, it works.......for a couple days, then goes back out again. Nothing wrong with the bulb itself. I even changed it to be sure. Same thing. Super annoying since im a full time lyft driver and im ALWAYS on the road at night. Id rather not end up with a ticket lol.
You might want to try and use some electronics part cleaner you can find at most auto supply stores. Sometimes the socket may look clean to the naked eye, but may have some oxidation that can cause the issues you are dealing with. Cheap fix if it works,..................Good Luck

·
Registered
105 Posts
I believe the contacts in the socket are not making good connection. With the lights off and the bulb out of the socket bend the connectors up or away from the side so that when the bulb is inserted the contacts make harder contact with the bulb. Do not bend the contacts too much.

Frank 2009 Versa S sedan with MT-6 and 80K miles

·
Registered
1 Posts
You might want to try and use some electronics part cleaner you can find at most auto supply stores. Sometimes the socket may look clean to the naked eye, but may have some oxidation that can cause the issues you are dealing with. Cheap fix if it works,..................Good Luck
Yes it's a yearly going on issue that I am having after I replace the whole unit thousands of bulbs $500 at least just to go in and get the Bulb and The Connection cleaned with a stupid wire brush. I am still having the issue it manages to stay on just enough time to get the stupid car inspected hit some kind of freaking pothole or maybe even the deflector in the road and the connection is lost again. Seems to be an ongoing issue with Nissan versas they are a piece of crap car you are always underneath it or working on it just to keep the cops from pulling you over. Also watch out if by chance both of the lights go out due to condensation build up it will cause you to have a transmission light pop up. Which will take you a $250 diagnostic fee in order to figure out it's because you've got corrosion building up on the both of them. I'm ready to sell a 2014 Nissan Versa much less give it away and never buy a Nissan again. Instead of buying meat hubcaps are even anything to beautify this aluminum can on wheels. You better take Livestock in a very good 10 mm wrench Phillips screw head and bottle nose pliers, a lifetime supply of bulb Lube. Magnifying glasses and a BBQ wire brush and get used to cleaning it every week.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
211 Posts
... just to keep the cops from pulling you over.
Many years ago, I had a Datsun (Nissan) pickup with a similar issue. I kept getting pulled over by the cops for no brake lights. Same issue with the connector that you are having.

So I purchased some trailer (brake) lights, mounted them near where my stock taillights were, then ran some wires so they would work with the switch. So if my stock brake lights stopped working there was still the trailer lights that would illuminate. Sometimes I had 4 brake lights, sometimes 3 and sometimes just the 2 trailer brake lights mounted near the stock tail lights.

Was it ugly... YES!! Did it seem to satisfy the police in the area, YES!!

·
Registered
528 Posts
You'll be happy to find a whole new mess of issues with the next car you get. Don't kid yourself into thinking if you get a Toyota or Honda that it'll be trouble free. Those are myths. All cars have problem. Some repeat failures a d some random stuff. It's amazing they don't have more problems, really.

If you've replaced the light assembly, then replace the connector and be done with it.

I'll give you $50 for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts