Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had about 5 months of great times with my HB special edition, and now this car is becoming a nightmare.

I was driving to Philadelphia from Cincinnati, and just west of Pittsburgh the car lost all acceleration and stalled. Luckily I was 10 miles away from a Nissan dealership and the roadside assistance covered my tow. They told me it was a blown fuel pump fuse. They replaced it, and I continued on. A month later I'm driving home from work, the same thing. The dealership where I bought the car said it was the fuel pump and the fuse, and they replaced both.

The day I pick the car up, I drive to Missouri to visit some family. On the way the "loose fuel cap" message appears in the odometer. Strange, I always tighten it down. I tight the cap, and clear that. It doesn't appear the rest of my trip.
I then put in the Takeda short intake I bought from Versaspeed (awesome service from Bob btw). About 5 days after that, I get a "service engine soon" lamp. Damn! I messed something up I'm thinking. I have a code scanner and it tells me P0455. Weird. I tighten down the cap (not loose), and clear the error. Two days later it's back but this time a P0456 error. I take it in to a different local dealership (with a better reputation) and they tell me it's the gas cap. They replace it, and three days later I get another "loose fuel cap" in the odometer. I clear it, and now I get a "service engine soon" lamp with P0456 again....

I'm worried the intake is the cause, but I doubt that. I think that I may have only poorly made Versa in the country....
I'm heading back to the dealer to clear the error so I can get it documented, but I'm about to be in the lemon territory here. 14,000 miles, car is 8 months old. One more problem of the same kind, and according to Ohio lemon law I have a lemon.

I guess my question is, any thoughts? Could my intake cause these errors even though the first "loose fuel cap" popped up before I put in the intake?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
ITs not your intake. My bet would be that when the dealership replaced your fuel pump, they didn't tighten the locking ring back down enough and thats why you're getting the CEL (check engine light). If you are so inclined you can check it yourself. Just pop up the back seat and you can go ahead and take a look and see if anything loose.

Here's my video how to on removing the fuel pump and replacing the fuel pressure regulator. If all you need to do is check and see if its loose, you only need the first few minutes of the video as you wont need to pull the entire assembly out.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Just skip to around 1:30. That's where I start explaining how to remove the rear seat. then just pull up the trim piece (4:15) and check and see if the looking ring underneath it is loose. (the locking ring is the thing I was pounding on forever)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice!

I was thinking something got loose or not quite put back on correctly when they did the fuel pump.

I'm probably not going to do anything myself at this point, as the car is still under warranty. I'm probably going to drop it off and have them take a look at everything.

As far as removing the intake, I don't think I'm going to do that quite yet as I don't think that is the issue, but if it get the point where I have any more problems I may have to as I'll be making a case to return the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: The dealership called and apparently the other dealership pinched the gas tank gasket which caused the evap leak.

So, if you need repairs done in Cincinnati take it to Busam Nissan as they do good work!

·
Registered
2 Posts
You don't have the only Lemon Versa. Mine is garbage! After only 3 months the car would start intermittantly. I had to keep pressing the clutch in and out several times and eventually it would start. Took it to the dealership (Stadium Nissan in Calgary, Alberta) and they said everything was fine. I told them that the Clutch/ingitiion interlock switch needed to be replaced and they said "everything is fine". I lived with this problem for a year until it got so bad that some days I could not start it at all. this weekend I just ripped out the switch and jumpered across it and it starts every time.
2 weeks ago my fuel pumped died and had to be replaced. The car is only 18 months old. I would never buy another Nissan for as long as I live.
Randy

·
Registered
637 Posts
You don't have the only Lemon Versa. Mine is garbage! After only 3 months the car would start intermittantly. I had to keep pressing the clutch in and out several times and eventually it would start. Took it to the dealership (Stadium Nissan in Calgary, Alberta) and they said everything was fine. I told them that the Clutch/ingitiion interlock switch needed to be replaced and they said "everything is fine". I lived with this problem for a year until it got so bad that some days I could not start it at all. this weekend I just ripped out the switch and jumpered across it and it starts every time.
2 weeks ago my fuel pumped died and had to be replaced. The car is only 18 months old. I would never buy another Nissan for as long as I live.
Randy
reported ;)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Randy

That sucks! I too wont buy another junky Nissan.

What is the year/mileage? If you have to fight with your local dealer either take it to another NIssan or call NIssan of AMerica and make them aware of how the dealership is treating you after purchasing one of their vehicles.

The good thing about the 2014 Versas is that they are more expensive by a good amount than the 2013/2012 Versas so that means you should get a higher value when reselling.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Yeah, P0456 is a small EVAP leak, likely that gasket didn't seal properly. Could be that they didn't bother to hose down the pump access area and some grit got between that seal. EVAP monitors can set a code if a leak as small as 0.002" is present.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.