Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 Nissan Versa SL HB, My daughter has this car only for 6 weeks now and suddenly everything breaking. Just got over fixing a locked steering wheel and ignition by replacing the whole ignition lock cylinder unit. So excited that the car finally starts. Now the lighting system not working (headlight, bean light, signals, interior lights, etc.. ). I see a lot of post for individual light problems but not for one that is about the entire lighting. There is no connector at the Headlight/signal switch at steering wheel side that you would think it had come loose, though that switch area may be the problem because I had to remove all covers around the steering wheel to work on the ingition cylinder and the switch was exposed. But I don't see what could have happened, everything seems normal! All individual fuses are OK, there must be a main relay gone bad. I see a few relays in fuse boxes but not sure which has to do with the lighting system. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
437 Posts
you should download the service manuals at nicoclub, section PG (power ground) and LT (lighting).

if all fuses are ok then you can check relays, as you said, and I think those relays are black and in the IPDM (the black box in the engine compartment).

PG manual tells you what is what.
I suggest you go to your local junkyard, if they have any nissan you should be able to find spare relays..it's worth a try.

Are you sure you haven't disconnected anything?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Might have damaged the spiral cable(clockspring), or knocked the sturn signal stalk loose when replacing the lock. Also check the connectors to the spiral cable as they may have been disconnected.

EDIT When you refer interior lights. are you referring to the dash lights or the room lights?
Dash lights will be related to the rest.Room lights will be a problem in itsself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you should download the service manuals at nicoclub, section PG (power ground) and LT (lighting).

if all fuses are ok then you can check relays, as you said, and I think those relays are black and in the IPDM (the black box in the engine compartment).

Thank you. I replaced the Ignition Cylinder and anything that was disconnected was the ones connected to the ignition Cylinder. Nothing else was touched or disconnected.
I have already downloaded the manual. It shows 2 fuse boxes, one inside and one in engine compartment. The manual has no references to headlight fuse or relay. My search of the manual can’t find anything called IPDM but I see one long black fuse box under the hood. The relays descriptions do not really tell me which one has anything to do with headlight and/or signal lights!

PG manual tells you what is what.
I suggest you go to your local junkyard, if they have any nissan you should be able to find spare relays..it's worth a try.

Are you sure you haven't disconnected anything?

·
Registered
668 Posts
The box in the engine compartment (white box/black cover) near the battery is the IDPM,

·
Registered
437 Posts
it looks like keith said, it's basically a rectangular with one cut edge. driver side, close to the battery.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it looks like keith said, it's basically a rectangular with one cut edge. driver side, close to the battery.

I removed and checked the fuses, the switch and all the connectors. Everything looks OK visually and sitting tight. There is a lose 5” long bundle of wire with a connector branched off the main steering wheel wiring bundle and just sitting there, but there is no connector anywhere around there for it to plug in. I assume it is for diagnostics.
I don’t believe the switch itself cannot go bad like this suddenly because it is just a series of contacts and no chips inside.
The user manual has info on all fuses but nothing on relays. Even on the car IPDM box cover there is info on all fuses but no info on which relay is for what. Only headlight and signals don’t work. My last post I said interior room light not working but I think because I checked during daytime. The auto part store said that there is no one relay that controls both Headlights and Signals together, so likely it is not a relay problem.
Thank you Ecate for introducing me to Nicoclub for actual service manuals. My daughter is impatient because the car was already down for 10 days for ignition lock cylinder problems. She may take it to a mechanic if found it too expensive, she may let me troubleshoot. We will see!

Thank you all.

·
Registered
668 Posts
There is a lose 5” long bundle of wire with a connector branched off the main steering wheel wiring bundle and just sitting there, but there is no connector anywhere around there for it to plug in.
There shouldn't be any open connectors in that area.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I removed and checked the fuses, the switch and all the connectors. Everything looks OK visually and sitting tight. There is a lose 5” long bundle of wire with a connector branched off the main steering wheel wiring bundle and just sitting there, but there is no connector anywhere around there for it to plug in. I assume it is for diagnostics.
I don’t believe the switch itself cannot go bad like this suddenly because it is just a series of contacts and no chips inside.
The user manual has info on all fuses but nothing on relays. Even on the car IPDM box cover there is info on all fuses but no info on which relay is for what. Only headlight and signals don’t work. My last post I said interior room light not working but I think because I checked during daytime. The auto part store said that there is no one relay that controls both Headlights and Signals together, so likely it is not a relay problem.
Thank you Ecate for introducing me to Nicoclub for actual service manuals. My daughter is impatient because the car was already down for 10 days for ignition lock cylinder problems. She may take it to a mechanic if found it too expensive, she may let me troubleshoot. We will see!

Thank you all.
only headlights and signals?

Are you sure you connected the left stalk back correctly? It must click in position. if it doesn't then headlights and signals would not work...

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'd try the auto active test if anyone can find a quick link to provide. That will eliminate everything from the IPDM to the lights if they come on with that test.

If they don't come on, you have an input problem, or an output problem.

That's the starting point to take if you don't have a bidirectional scantool though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
only headlights and signals?

Are you sure you connected the left stalk back correctly? It must click in position. if it doesn't then headlights and signals would not work...
Not sure what you mean by the “Left stalk”. I have ensured all connectors, whether they were disconnected by me before or not are now connected tightly. I ensured that Highlight/Signal switch is connected tightly. Used a mirror to confirm that since the connection is kind of hard to see. Thanks.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Not sure what you mean by the “Left stalk”. I have ensured all connectors, whether they were disconnected by me before or not are now connected tightly. I ensured that Highlight/Signal switch is connected tightly. Used a mirror to confirm that since the connection is kind of hard to see. Thanks.
yes, the left signal switch.
I would double check that everything is connected...your issue seems odd. All fuses are ok?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts