Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2011 versa hatchback and there was a message on the odometer saying loose fuel cap but I checked it when I was halfway to work and it wasn’t loose and all of a sudden disappeared when I hit a bump in a gravel parking lot at work but I was wondering could that be a bad sensor or something or could the fuel cap itself be worn out or exactly what could be going on because I’ve never had messages displayed on the car?

·
Registered
745 Posts
The fact that you checked it halfway to work, and and hitting the bump could have been coincidental in the fact that the message disappeared. If the cap was a little bit off, by you checking it, you may have solved the problem. If it happens again, you might want to invest in a new gas cap and see what happens......................Good luck!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fact that you checked it halfway to work, and and hitting the bump could have been coincidental in the fact that the message disappeared. If the cap was a little bit off, by you checking it, you may have solved the problem. If it happens again, you might want to invest in a new gas cap and see what happens......................Good luck!!!
So I’m guessing if There is a sensor or something to tell when the gas cap is loose and make the message appear it would be molded into gas cap itself which would mean the gas cap itself is probably getting wore out? I’m just taking a wild guess because I’ve never had messages appear on any cars I’ve owned it’s always been something mechanical

·
Registered
429 Posts
I've never seen a loose gas cap message on anything I've owned, including Caddys and Saabs.
Only thing I've seen happen with a loose gas cap is it sets a MIL and code.

There is nothing molded into the gas cap. It detects a small leak in the evaporative emissions system and sets a code.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've never seen a loose gas cap message on anything I've owned, including Caddys and Saabs.
Only thing I've seen happen with a loose gas cap is it sets a MIL and code.

There is nothing molded into the gas cap. It detects a small leak in the evaporative emissions system and sets a code.
You might be just as confused as I am..idk but like I said I’ve never seen messages appear on any cars I’ve ever owned and from the way you explained it I’m guessing when that message appeared there was a leak in the emissions system??? And what does MIL mean?

·
Registered
429 Posts
You might be just as confused as I am..idk but like I said I’ve never seen messages appear on any cars I’ve ever owned and from the way you explained it I’m guessing when that message appeared there was a leak in the emissions system??? And what does MIL mean?
MIL= Malfunction Idicator Light a.k.a. Service Engine Soon light.

In the evaporative emissions system, it detects leaks, both large and small. When a leak is found, either by a loose gas cap, or leaks in other parts of the system, it typically sets a MIL, as that system is supposed to be airtight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts