1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2007 Versa 1.8L
102000 miles
New O2 Sensor 1Mo Ago
Paid off this month wouldn't you know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Entered Interstate last night, got up to about 70 and lost power. Pulled into parking lot and then managed to limp home at 30mph.

Car starts 1st try and idols great. Put in gear and ease on gas everything is ok. Put on a good bit of gas and she just cuts out and never regains her composure. Just spits and sputters with no power till it dies. Let it set 5 min and then do it all over again. If I don't wait, it will crank right away but spit and sputter with no power at all.

Is this the fuel pump or regulator??? If I leave the key on while waiting, so it will pump fuel to engine, it does nothing to decrease time. Seems more heat related I think.

Only thing I noticed prior to this happening is my fuel mileage and pep seemed to be a little off the last month.

Thank you,
Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CEL On?

What O2 sensor was replaced? Primary or secondary....
It was the primary closest to the engine. It was also cross threaded from the factory. Like to never got it out.

On another note, I forgot to mention that there are no check engine lights and I also checked the codes, there are no codes.

·
Registered
877 Posts
2007 Versa 1.8L
102000 miles
New O2 Sensor 1Mo Ago
Paid off this month wouldn't you know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Entered Interstate last night, got up to about 70 and lost power. Pulled into parking lot and then managed to limp home at 30mph.

Car starts 1st try and idols great. Put in gear and ease on gas everything is ok. Put on a good bit of gas and she just cuts out and never regains her composure. Just spits and sputters with no power till it dies. Let it set 5 min and then do it all over again. If I don't wait, it will crank right away but spit and sputter with no power at all.

Is this the fuel pump or regulator??? If I leave the key on while waiting, so it will pump fuel to engine, it does nothing to decrease time. Seems more heat related I think.

Only thing I noticed prior to this happening is my fuel mileage and pep seemed to be a little off the last month.

Thank you,
Mike
If I were you, I would change out the fuel filter first and see if that makes a difference. Its cheap, and may fix the problem. I would also keep track of where and when you fill up your car. If you fueled up at a station that had water in their tanks, it can really play havoc with your engine. Good luck

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
check for ail leaks between the MAF and throttlebody. Also check the connector on the maf is secure.

·
Registered
440 Posts
It was the primary closest to the engine. It was also cross threaded from the factory. Like to never got it out.

On another note, I forgot to mention that there are no check engine lights and I also checked the codes, there are no codes.
My Honda o2 sensor was cross-threaded as well from the factory. Very annoying and stupid. No helicoil was big enough so when I changed it I just forced the sensor in there....no worries though since I will have a new motor and turbo in the coming years. :)

Double check it though...make sure it is sealed and no exhaust is leaking from it. You can wrap it in a layer of aluminum foil and then start the car to see if there is a hole/leak.

If I were you, I would change out the fuel filter first and see if that makes a difference. Its cheap, and may fix the problem. I would also keep track of where and when you fill up your car. If you fueled up at a station that had water in their tanks, it can really play havoc with your engine. Good luck
Good thought. Did you fill up right before this happened? Buy a couple bottles of HEET and a cheap bottle of fuel injector cleaner....shouldnt run you more than $4 for all of it from wal-mart. This will def help it run better if there is water in the fuel.

It is very odd that there is no CEL on...especially since it is running rough.

Another possibility is a clogged cat.

Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn it to the ON position?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had something similar happen to a car I had years ago. Ended up being a cracked gas cap. I may have turned it too tight and cracked the plastic seal. Anyway, replaced the gas cap and solved all the problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I replaced the gas cap with no luck. BUT!!!! I put whole can of Sea Foam into 1/4 tank of gas. Car ran good, well 75% better except for idling. Running on that much Sea Foam I could see that, so I filled it up with Super Unleaded and now back to same old spit and sputter if you put your foot into it too much.

I gotta lean towards pump now! Just don't understand why after sitting a few minutes it starts to run ok again till you put your foot into it? I would think it wouldn't crank or idle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Funny thing. Went home today, started car and it ran perfectly. Drove it 35 miles just like it was brand new.

Did the Sea Foam take some time to get moisture out of the tank? Now I really am starting to go crazy!!!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.