Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooooooo my Black Peanut (2011 Nissan Versa Hatchback SL) makes this loud humming sound when I hit the gas. A few months ago I noticed there was a slight noise but then covid hit. In June I planned on taking it for the 75,000 mile servicing.....but I got sick and had to get tested for covid. I also noticed some loss of power in 2018. Had it checked at the Nissan shop they couldn’t find anything wrong but recommend I get new rear breaks. I noticed loss of power last summer. Like if I hit the gas it struggled to get passed 45mph. The check engine light came on. Took it to the shop. They said the said Spark plugs or Cadillac converter. I changed the spark plugs an my car was as good as new.
Fast forward to today. I’m driving home and I hear a loud sound over my music. When I turned it down I noticed it was my car. The sound reminds me of a car with a big muffler. Every time I hit the gas it gets louder. Right before I got home I slowed down at the light I herd a loud clank. When I drove off the sound got louder than it was before.
WHAT COULD THIS BE!!?!?? My car is worth maybe 1,500. I don’t wanna put a bunch of money into it and it break down. What would you do??

·
Registered
200 Posts
maybe you have a muffler issue. If it broke down it gets louder (one of the purpose of the muffler is to silence the car).
Take a look under the car, if something broke you should be able to see it.

Muffler repair is not usually very expensive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check to see if the heat shielding has come loose. Its an aluminum shield between the exhaust and the car body.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Soooooooo my Black Peanut (2011 Nissan Versa Hatchback SL) makes this loud humming sound when I hit the gas. A few months ago I noticed there was a slight noise but then covid hit. In June I planned on taking it for the 75,000 mile servicing.....but I got sick and had to get tested for covid. I also noticed some loss of power in 2018. Had it checked at the Nissan shop they couldn’t find anything wrong but recommend I get new rear breaks. I noticed loss of power last summer. Like if I hit the gas it struggled to get passed 45mph. The check engine light came on. Took it to the shop. They said the said Spark plugs or Cadillac converter. I changed the spark plugs an my car was as good as new.
Fast forward to today. I’m driving home and I hear a loud sound over my music. When I turned it down I noticed it was my car. The sound reminds me of a car with a big muffler. Every time I hit the gas it gets louder. Right before I got home I slowed down at the light I herd a loud clank. When I drove off the sound got louder than it was before.
WHAT COULD THIS BE!!?!?? My car is worth maybe 1,500. I don’t wanna put a bunch of money into it and it break down. What would you do??
There is a long exhaust mid pipe, that connects the catalytic converter to the muffler. In my case, the flange that connected the mid pipe to the real muffler failed, and the mid pipe dropped down and started hitting the frame structure below causing a loud rapping sound at certain rpms. My car also sounded loud because the muffler was longer connected. Had the repair done at a local shop, and it cost about $240. Hope this helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts