Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My 2009 Nissa Versa HB Automatic gives me a pathetic 18 mpg, mostly within town. I have to admit there are many stop signs, lights and pedestrians. However I expect to get at least 25 mpg. I have ~16k miles on the car.

I 've taken it to 2 different Nissan dealerships. They did some tests and said the various codes and parameters all seem withing normal range. The air filter is clean. Tires have the right pressure.

My last car was a Honda Civic and it used to give me over 30 mpg. So my driving is not that bad. I try to go easy on the brake and accelerator and just coast with my foot off both whenever possible.

So, what city mileage are people getting on this model year?
What can I do about this?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
i have an 09 manual hb. i get around 27-28 a tank when i drive city only. what kind of gas are you using? do you run the ac at all times? your number seems way too low for everything to be okay..

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
My gas mileage isn't that great. I do mostly city driving, and am not a grandmother type driver so I am happy if I get over 25mpg. Since adding the roof racks the mileage has dipped a bit also. They will be removed in a month or so for winter, but for now they can stay on a bit longer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have an 09 manual hb. i get around 27-28 a tank when i drive city only. what kind of gas are you using? do you run the ac at all times? your number seems way too low for everything to be okay..
I use the Costco 87 octane gas. I seldom use the AC. Tire pressure is fine; if anything I've been trying to over inflate 2-3 psi for good measure. Yes, my mpg is not as advertised.

·
Banned
3,409 Posts
You should consider a Subaru or Mazda, they're more fun to drive than Nissan in my opinion. Honda is great, owned a 98 Civic as my first car.

·
Registered
643 Posts
You should consider a Subaru or Mazda, they're more fun to drive than Nissan in my opinion. Honda is great, owned a 98 Civic as my first car.
i'd say that they are more fun than a VERSA....i'm sure a GT-R is more fun than a subie or mazda :biggrinjester:

with a 1st gen mazda 3 with some light mods, we were averaging close to 40 mpgs...just sayin'...we have also been disappointed with the mpg's of the versa

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I use the Costco 87 octane gas. I seldom use the AC. Tire pressure is fine; if anything I've been trying to over inflate 2-3 psi for good measure. Yes, my mpg is not as advertised.
Advertised MPG is in a perfect environment. Real world driving will never be the same.

·
Registered
377 Posts
That's actually not how it works. The EPA does those tests and they make them far from perfect scenario...but also still not quite like reality.

To the OP I say just examine your driving habits. The difference between 18MPG and 30 is that pedal on the right, and paying attention.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I used to get about 23-25 mpg. In my sentra with the mr20 and cvt, I get about 27-30 in the city. The mr 18 sucks with the 4spd auto, I also had the 4spd auto.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I used to get about 23-25 mpg. In my sentra with the mr20 and cvt, I get about 27-30 in the city. The mr 18 sucks with the 4spd auto, I also had the 4spd auto.
I got 34 mpg last week going 70+ mph. I did have the 30000 mile service at nissan. Cost 450.00 maybe worth it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts