Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the best set up, if I wanted to lower my V a little (1.5) but I didn't want the car to bottom out at all, or ride too bumpy? If money isn't an option, I'm trying to figure out best case scenario set up. Are there specific types of springs, coil overs, shock struts that would allow me to lower the car, enjoy the improved handling and not suffer from a bruised A$$ and a scraped up underside? I've been researching and I can't find a definitive straight forward answer.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Anytime you switch to a lowered spring or to coilovers, you'll get a stiffer ride, but some are better than others. A lot of people have had success with the tein springs though.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I have tanabe springs on oem shocks/struts its not a bad ride but it is stiffer then oem. but if I have more then one rear passenger it will hit the bump stops and then it get to be a rough ride lol but I love them the handling is better and the looks are better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anytime you switch to a lowered spring or to coilovers, you'll get a stiffer ride, but some are better than others. A lot of people have had success with the tein springs though.
What's the difference between lowering springs and coilovers?

·
Registered
638 Posts
If I understand correctly, lowering springs just lower the car. While coilovers are adjustable.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
coilover are springs with the shocks all in one unit they have a thread I believe at the bottom that you turn to raise or lower the car.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Coilovers are the performance oriented choice. Many of them have adjustable ride height (as was mentioned, by turning a nut) and also many have adjustable dampening settings. Coilovers tend to give a harsher ride.

As for springs, they are less performance oriented, they are more for appearance. The car will ride a bit rougher because they have to be a bit stiffer to make up for the reduction in suspension travel. I have the Tanabe springs on my car and they work for what they are... eliminating the retarded wheel gap from the 17's. They are a tiny bit stiffer (manufacturers specs say <5%), but it doesn't really help the handling much unless you also replace the struts. They drop the car 1.5" though, which makes it look a million times better, especially if you have aftermarket wheels/tires. I don't really bottom out on things, and I do drive on some rough roads (2 of which were just named as the #2 and #3 worst roads in our province. Only thing is the front lip will scrap if I go into a driveway too fast. Its really not that low though, still got plenty of useable ground clearance, and I have taken mine down logging roads loaded down with kayaks and camping gear without issue.

The bottom line though is you won't gain much handling without sacrificing an amount of comfort. I didn't bother changing the struts on mine, but I did install front and rear strut tower braces and it corners fairly well now, alot better than stock anyhow.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Coilovers are the performance oriented choice. Many of them have adjustable ride height (as was mentioned, by turning a nut) and also many have adjustable dampening settings. Coilovers tend to give a harsher ride.

As for springs, they are less performance oriented, they are more for appearance. The car will ride a bit rougher because they have to be a bit stiffer to make up for the reduction in suspension travel. I have the Tanabe springs on my car and they work for what they are... eliminating the retarded wheel gap from the 17's. They are a tiny bit stiffer (manufacturers specs say <5%), but it doesn't really help the handling much unless you also replace the struts. They drop the car 1.5" though, which makes it look a million times better, especially if you have aftermarket wheels/tires. I don't really bottom out on things, and I do drive on some rough roads (2 of which were just named as the #2 and #3 worst roads in our province. Only thing is the front lip will scrap if I go into a driveway too fast. Its really not that low though, still got plenty of useable ground clearance, and I have taken mine down logging roads loaded down with kayaks and camping gear without issue.

The bottom line though is you won't gain much handling without sacrificing an amount of comfort. I didn't bother changing the struts on mine, but I did install front and rear strut tower braces and it corners fairly well now, alot better than stock anyhow.

can't get a better answer than that

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks for the detailed response. I'm going with H&R springs...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.