Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have wanted to paint my V matte black since the beginning of time but the cost is just mind blowing. So I though of going a different route.

I think that it might look cool if I start off my doing my hood and trunk matte black and than possibly convert that into one HUGE stripe that covered the whole roof and went all the way down both sides.. anyways instead of paying the million dollars for a GOOD paint job I figured that maybe I could go this route.

http://www.stickercity.com/51-x-linear-foot-matte-black-wrap-vinyl-sheet.html

Anybody have an experience with these..? They good? Crappy?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stickers are really hard to apply without bubbles, and MUST be super clean underneath so as to not trap moisture or dirt....but if you can eliminate them then man, you're on a winner!
On the website it says that the bubbles come out really easily with their plastic piece they provide in a kit. It also apparently comes with a sponge. I think I am going to buy a strip of it for $20 and I will put it on my hood and see how it holds up. If it still looks good after a while I will purchase bigger pieces!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man, did you guys saw the video below in that page? I think this a great product. I wonder if it easy to remove afterwards. I would totally do the whole Versa or most of it.
Wouldn't cost too much if you did it yourself either. But the only thing is is that if you wrap your whole Versa, your engine bay will still be the color of the paint as will the inside spots of doors and so on.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Are you kidding me? You actually use tire shiners to give it a great look. It cleans EXTREMELY easy, and the cost of painting...well. I think I spent like $65 in paint and materials, and I did the prep work myself. About the tire shining, yep, its true. It still looks matte, but It has some kind of gloss. It looked sick! I loved that car. Painting it under a 95*F sunny day in the outside paid off. I did spent A LOT of timing removing the old paint, and sanding the car about 6 times. So I did my work. But it was easy, but tedious.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I used soap and a good sponge. Once you take the dirt off, get the cheapest Tire shiner spray and apply it onto a rag. It will take you time, but you can do the whole car, and it will look spectacular. Since there is no gloss, and the paint seems to be porous it actually dries faster. You can't wax it, but if anything happens to the paint, just take out your rattle can, and re spray it, then wet sand the area again. Prep is the key. There is no going around that, if you want a good job done.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm thinking about just doing the top half of by car matte black and the hood and trunk.

But Im probably going to use the wrap because I won't have to ruin my current paint job. I heard that matte paint jobs lower the retail value of your car (as it isn't already bad enough right?)

·
Registered
303 Posts
i'm thinking of 2 toning my silver v with matte black. i painted my last truck bed matte black and it was awesome, a company called PCL makes a flat black industrial paint, when mixed 4:1 with a urethane reducer it gives it a velvet sheen, can be washed, but not waxed, and its an industrial equipment paint so it seals up good and is not pourous. they also have a flat clear that works the same way. get your harbor freight hvlp and go to town.

on the otherhand, paint is rather permanent, so i'm going to wrap the v, in case i want to sell it i can just peel it off

·
Registered
52 Posts
i'm thinking of 2 toning my silver v with matte black. i painted my last truck bed matte black and it was awesome, a company called PCL makes a flat black industrial paint, when mixed 4:1 with a urethane reducer it gives it a velvet sheen, can be washed, but not waxed, and its an industrial equipment paint so it seals up good and is not pourous. they also have a flat clear that works the same way. get your harbor freight hvlp and go to town.

on the otherhand, paint is rather permanent, so i'm going to wrap the v, in case i want to sell it i can just peel it off
Great recommendation for the paint.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.