Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the head topic says I'm a "mechanic" that has been working on cars since I was old enough to get a license, I'm now 30 years old. I've learned everything I know from experience and I work on customer's cars out of my garage . I'm also a body man, I graduated from collision repair school and have about three years in that field . Three things about me.. #1 I love tools ,#2 I'm picky about doing the best work I can for my customers ,and #3 I really enjoy helping people. I thought by starting a YouTube channel I can help people on a much larger scale and that's what I'm trying to do with my YouTube channel "The Mech a nic" . My old car (07 Hyundai tiburon) seemed to need work done every month and I grew tired of that. With two kids and a third on the way (March 5th 2017) I needed a reliable and more family oriented car (4 door) . We went to the Nissan dealer and as we walked through the front doors I remember seeing a blue versa note and I thought to myself...wow that thing is ugly.. money was tight so I'm on a budget and it turns out the only stick shift car that was brand new and in my price range was the blue ugly duckling I pointing out at the beginning lol. After going back n forth for a while I drove away with my very first brand new car. It has grown on me and I love my blue versa note. Sometimes I look at her and think she's ugly ,but she's mine ?.

I try to put up videos on most of my repairs but since this is a forum for the versa I have a playlist on my channel for the versa alone. A few of my subscribers have suggested repairs that they'd like to learn how to do on the versa so I put it on my to do list. I encourage anyone to leave a comment here on the forum or on my YouTube channel "The Mech a nic" on repairs you'd like to see. I promise to be a more active member on the versa forum because I fell in love with my 2015 versa note.

·
Registered
674 Posts
How to replace your air and cabin filter. Like and subscribe: )

https://youtu.be/o_fmQZS__Gw

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk
Thanks for a great video. As for the cabin filter, I have a 2012 Versa sedan, and although I have the filter compartment, the manufacturer never installed the actual air filter. When I tried to buy a filter from the Nissan dealership in New Jersey, they did not even list a replacement part number for the filter in their computers. After a lot of searching on line, I found the right after market filter and it fit just as you described. From what I understand, Nissan now has the missing filter in their computer system listed under the number you provided. Thanks again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for a great video. As for the cabin filter, I have a 2012 Versa sedan, and although I have the filter compartment, the manufacturer never installed the actual air filter. When I tried to buy a filter from the Nissan dealership in New Jersey, they did not even list a replacement part number for the filter in their computers. After a lot of searching on line, I found the right after market filter and it fit just as you described. From what I understand, Nissan now has the missing filter in their computer system listed under the number you provided. Thanks again.
You're welcome,I'm glad my video helped you. It's cool that you got that cleared up with Nissan. Good work!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I can't thank you enough for your contributions. Great people like you that take the time to make DIY videos have helped me big time over the years. I'm especially glad to have 2nd Gen Versa videos, as they have been so limited to this point.

I'd kill for a DIY on servicing the CVT transmissions! From what I've read it has to be pumped out and pumped back in through the same port. Supposedly the dealer checks the fluid level via a computer scan that reads the level. I hope there is a way for a DIY'er to do it themselves. Dealer wants $150 for 3 quart partial fluid change. I could do it myself for $30 and would like to go further by flushing all of the fluid. PLEASE HELP!

I know you have a manual but its just my suggestion. Also, get the spoiler for your ride and it will so much better. It balances out the car's shape and makes it look less like a rental car. LOL

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't thank you enough for your contributions. Great people like you that take the time to make DIY videos have helped me big time over the years. I'm especially glad to have 2nd Gen Versa videos, as they have been so limited to this point.

I'd kill for a DIY on servicing the CVT transmissions! From what I've read it has to be pumped out and pumped back in through the same port. Supposedly the dealer checks the fluid level via a computer scan that reads the level. I hope there is a way for a DIY'er to do it themselves. Dealer wants $150 for 3 quart partial fluid change. I could do it myself for $30 and would like to go further by flushing all of the fluid. PLEASE HELP!

I know you have a manual but its just my suggestion. Also, get the spoiler for your ride and it will so much better. It balances out the car's shape and makes it look less like a rental car. LOL
Thank you for your kind words. Really keeps me wanting to go forward. I've actually done a refill of the cvt trasmission when I worked at the collision shop . I had no idea the versa was lacking in DIYs . I'm definitely excited to get out more videos on the versa. This will go on my to do list.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't seem to find a haynes repair manual for the 15 versa note so I picked up a manual for 07- 14 versa . I mostly need it for torque specs to make my videos. They use the same engine and the suspension is pretty much the same so I can still get a lot of useful information from this book. Just thought I'd do an update

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for posting these How To videos. I thought your brake pad replacement video was especially good.
Sorry, I don't see how I missed your comment . Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I just picked up a repair manual with much needed torque specs for my future videos on the versa.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Good luck with the haynes manual. I usually buy the shop manuals on ebay for cars I own if not find the shop manual free online in another language. :frown Dont matter, I just read the pictures. :grin

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good luck with the haynes manual. I usually buy the shop manuals on ebay for cars I own if not find the shop manual free online in another language. :frown Dont matter, I just read the pictures. :grin
The Haynes manual isn't my favorite but it will come in hand . It's better than nothing.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Yes, but you need to be able to quickly tell if things in them do not apply to your specific vehicle. Haynes has a bad habit of mixing major design changes into the same manual and they do the most detailed work on only one that they tear apart right there in the Haynes garage. If you do not have that one model then you can spend lots of time under wrong ideas about what needs to be done there. Meaning the manuals can be very confusing to total newbies.

I used to sell them when I was in parts and commonly they came back when the customer revealed the manual had hardly any info for his particular model or year.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think John mostly just needed the torque specs of various bolts and anything else that happens to be useful in that book will just be a bonus for him :)

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
A "real" mechanic would know to use the bolt size or better yet feel it out when tightening it down. :grin

I think John mostly just needed the torque specs of various bolts and anything else that happens to be useful in that book will just be a bonus for him :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
11 Participants
ram1220
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing