Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My mom took her 2014 Versa SV for service and they noted that the tire wear indicator is showing. The car has only 13K on it, so I call them for an explanation. They indicated that the tires are under inflated. I think the problem is that she only changes her oil may be once or twice a year, so they stuff can happen in-between. I am also going to have someone look at her tires (I am remote and can't do this physically).

Since checking tire pressure is beyond my mom's capability, I am thinking of install an aftermarket tire pressure system that will give off an alarm if the tire is low so she can take it to her mechanic. What would the min and max pressure be. I think the sticker on the side will list the recommended pressure, but I like to know the min and max so I can program it in to avoid this issue again.

·
Registered
361 Posts
correct me if I am wrong but her car should already have the TPMS sensors installed, I think they are mandatory since early 2000...I'm sure it's standard on your mom's SV.
If pressure goes under 28 psi the TPMS light should light up in the cluster, meaning it's time to inflate. Recommended is 36, I usually keep it at 37 or 38.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was not aware of this. I look through the manual and it said "if so equipped", implying that it is not on all vehicles, but it appears that due to the TREAD act of 2000, all cars have tpms after 2007.

The question is, how did my mom not notice the TPMS alert. On my car, when the tire pressure sensor goes off, it gives off an annoying alarm that is hard to ignore. What happens on the Nissan Versa? Would there be a log that I can read off ODB?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm not sure about the log, but it's obviously a code that can be read. I'm note sure if it can be read after the light disappears.
Maybe your mom just didn't notice the light or thought it was normal since it's amber and not red. On my versa it doesn't make any sound, just the amber light right in the middle. On the 2014 I think it appears on the left portion of the cluster.
You can tell her that if she sees that light again it's time to inflate :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok,

I had a talk and my mom indicated that she did know about the status once I showed her the picture of the icon. She indicate that the indicator goes off sometimes in the winter, which she has the gas station fill up her tire. The issue is now why the tire worn out prematurely. I am going to have my sister look at the tire when has time.

·
Registered
429 Posts
If the tire has shoulder wear and that's where it's worn down to treadwear indicator it's likely your mom has ran the tire low an extended amount of time, the front end is out of alignment or there's worn ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. causing abnormal wear.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi,
My mom took her 2014 Versa SV for service and they noted that the tire wear indicator is showing. The car has only 13K on it, so I call them for an explanation. They indicated that the tires are under inflated. I think the problem is that she only changes her oil may be once or twice a year, so they stuff can happen in-between. I am also going to have someone look at her tires (I am remote and can't do this physically).

Since checking tire pressure is beyond my mom's capability, I am thinking of install an aftermarket tire pressure system that will give off an alarm if the tire is low so she can take it to her mechanic. What would the min and max pressure be. I think the sticker on the side will list the recommended pressure, but I like to know the min and max so I can program it in to avoid this issue again.
I drive a 2015 Versa SV. The indicator came ON while driving once. Didn't know what it meant; drove into a parking lot; turned off car; read manual. Restarted, indicator still ON. Drove to tire shop. Watched as inspected for a nail or something else; not found. He said the pressure was somewhat low and filled. Started car and he said: indicator likely will still be ON until driven a short distance. He was right. Was ON as I drove away and turned itself off within a couple of minutes.

So maybe hers did not light up; maybe there's something to fix for the indicator to work properly. I don't think, based on my experience above, that it would turn itself off until the tire was full again. So maybe it never turned on. Please let us know what you find out / fix!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts