Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm pretty new to the Versa and was wondering if there's a particular model that's regarded as the most reliable? Reliability is probably the most important factor to me when buying a car and I'm really interested in the Versa but don't know where to start my research. Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi, I'm pretty new to the Versa and was wondering if there's a particular model that's regarded as the most reliable? Reliability is probably the most important factor to me when buying a car and I'm really interested in the Versa but don't know where to start my research. Thanks!
I'd think the models are the same . I guess the more bells n whistles it has the more can go wrong ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
For reliability, less is more

I agree with John. And I am very much like you. I previously own Honda and Subaru, both well known for being reliable. In general both were great cars. But in certain ways, both let me down. Which lead me to Nissan and giving them a chance. I wanted affordable up front, economical long term, and reliable throughout its lifespan.

These 3 points direct one to cars like the Versa. They are the lowest priced cars in the in their class and the lowest priced cars in the country. Yet they do not seem to suffer in reliability. They have timing chains and engine designs that are thoroughly mature and tested. They don't have a lot of extra engineering to keep the costs down but that precludes extra points of failure.

For me, I like to take things to the extreme. Manual transmission cars are far less prone to expensive failures relative to automatic or CVT. You lose a few mpg but the elimination of the risk of a 3-4 thousand dollar transmission failure is a huge gain IMO. And even though Nissan is known for some of the best CVTs in the business, they are also know to have some strange and repetitive failures.

In any event, my research caused me to buy a 2016 Nissan Versa Note S 5 speed. With almost no electronics (except bluetooth) and a manual trans, there is almost nothing to fail outside the engine bay and that looks like it is unlikely. So far, I'm loving it. I don't have a lot of miles on it so I can't attest to it's reliability but I can vouch for its up front affordability and its economical operation. The engine isn't even fully broken in and I'm still getting 34mpg with mostly in town driving. I am confident that when broken in, with careful driving, I'll do even better and that the 40mpg of the CVT is within reach.

There is some talk of a knock at mid RPMs but after hours of research I've deemed it to be a non-factor, mostly spread by a few upset people who are very active online. The preponderance of evidence I've found appears to show the 1.6L engine in the newest Versas is a very reliable engine with a realistic lifespan of 150K miles.

Some of my friends drive "nice" cars, with amenities and options. They all have problems. One friend, the heated seats will only set to high, which is too hot to use. Another the 6 disc CD changer will often not eject the discs. Another has a constant warning light for this or that. Another has a window that will go down but not back up. None of these things can happen in my versa.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 15 versa note ,base model (manual trans, manual windows and locks) .I saved a ton on buying the base model and it has been very good to me. Gas saver is a extra perk.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
I like to think all Versa's are pretty reliable. I'm at 66k miles on my 2012 Versa S 1.8 Hatchback with a 6 speed manual transmission, have not had any mechanical issues yet. Oil changes, tires, and wipers are all I've had to do.

·
Registered
939 Posts
You guys get it, the less bell and whistle the longer you go with no issues. Missing electronics cause no problems...................

FYI, manual trans gets BETTER gas mileage than ATX does, even with all their trick this and that.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Outside the US most cars are 4 bangers and stick shifts for fuel economy and reliability when service and spare parts are hard to come by.

My only concern at least with my car is lack of under coating goo that most cars Ive purchased come with. It looks like bare metal plus a painted primer coating, but no half an inch rubber slime job so to speak. Maybe its not needed any more? :grin

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree with John. And I am very much like you. I previously own Honda and Subaru, both well known for being reliable. In general both were great cars. But in certain ways, both let me down. Which lead me to Nissan and giving them a chance. I wanted affordable up front, economical long term, and reliable throughout its lifespan.

These 3 points direct one to cars like the Versa. They are the lowest priced cars in the in their class and the lowest priced cars in the country. Yet they do not seem to suffer in reliability. They have timing chains and engine designs that are thoroughly mature and tested. They don't have a lot of extra engineering to keep the costs down but that precludes extra points of failure.

For me, I like to take things to the extreme. Manual transmission cars are far less prone to expensive failures relative to automatic or CVT. You lose a few mpg but the elimination of the risk of a 3-4 thousand dollar transmission failure is a huge gain IMO. And even though Nissan is known for some of the best CVTs in the business, they are also know to have some strange and repetitive failures.

In any event, my research caused me to buy a 2016 Nissan Versa Note S 5 speed. With almost no electronics (except bluetooth) and a manual trans, there is almost nothing to fail outside the engine bay and that looks like it is unlikely. So far, I'm loving it. I don't have a lot of miles on it so I can't attest to it's reliability but I can vouch for its up front affordability and its economical operation. The engine isn't even fully broken in and I'm still getting 34mpg with mostly in town driving. I am confident that when broken in, with careful driving, I'll do even better and that the 40mpg of the CVT is within reach.

There is some talk of a knock at mid RPMs but after hours of research I've deemed it to be a non-factor, mostly spread by a few upset people who are very active online. The preponderance of evidence I've found appears to show the 1.6L engine in the newest Versas is a very reliable engine with a realistic lifespan of 150K miles.

Some of my friends drive "nice" cars, with amenities and options. They all have problems. One friend, the heated seats will only set to high, which is too hot to use. Another the 6 disc CD changer will often not eject the discs. Another has a constant warning light for this or that. Another has a window that will go down but not back up. None of these things can happen in my versa.
So we have the same car,mine is a 2015 note S . I do mostly highway driving but even with city driving I have a mpg average of 39.5 mpg . Granted that's driving the car like a turtle but like with any car if you get on your mpg goes out the window and I'm not having that. I have to like my mpg now compared to my old Hyundai with a V6 that guzzled fuel because I drove it like it was a racecar lol. I've added aftermarket power locks to my versa but that only cost me about $30 and some time, if it ever fails I'll just replace it since it's affordable or just tip it out and go back to the way I bought the car. I like my slow ,fuel saving,smooth driving versa :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Outside the US most cars are 4 bangers and stick shifts for fuel economy and reliability when service and spare parts are hard to come by.

My only concern at least with my car is lack of under coating goo that most cars Ive purchased come with. It looks like bare metal plus a painted primer coating, but no half an inch rubber slime job so to speak. Maybe its not needed any more? :grin
I've working on cars for a while I'm mechanic and collision repair (all makes and models) . I've noticed the higher end cars come with more under coating and it does a good job at preventing rust. I didn't like the first time I went under my new versa note to see there was very little to no under coating . I plan on picking up a few bottles of 3M rubberized under coating and doing as much of the car as I can (cleaning it first of course) I wanted to get it done before winter but I never got to it . Luckily haven't had to drive it much during the winter and it sits in the garage so I'll do it once it gets nicer out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I definitely feel like less is more with cars. I don't need a ton of amenities - all I really want is to get from point A to point B and back to point A as affordably as possible. Thanks for the detailed answers, it's definitely reinforced my confidence in the Versa.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
Cobb
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing