Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Not bad of a review. I can't understand why it's so slow with a power to weight as good as the old versa's. i need to go drive one of these. Of course it would have to be stick though. Wonder if the gearing is changed for better mpg's.

If these came looking like the overseas model and had manual transmission on the higher models I would seriously consider one. Maybe te refresh in a couple of years they will step it up.

·
Registered
637 Posts
i don't know what it is, but i just can not find a review i really agree with from the major publications. what's most stupid about it is that when honda came out with the fit it had nearly identical power to the current Note, yet all the publications praised it and then here comes Nissan with similar power and alot more features than the Fit and all the publications go around bashing it for it's "lack of power" when i know full well that none of them have even attempted a full throttle 0-60 time and the one person that did try did it going up a freaking mountain of all things...worst way to test a cars 0-60. Anyway i don't care what any of them say i am over 3000 miles in on my note and it's still solid, surprisingly quick for the power it has and is the most fun i've had driving a car in a while aside from the 370Z i owned before it, not to mention that pictures just dont do justice to the looks of it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Not bad of a review. I can't understand why it's so slow with a power to weight as good as the old versa's. i need to go drive one of these. Of course it would have to be stick though. Wonder if the gearing is changed for better mpg's.

If these came looking like the overseas model and had manual transmission on the higher models I would seriously consider one. Maybe te refresh in a couple of years they will step it up.
believe me rob, it is not slow by any means...if i had to guess the best 0-60 time i've gotten in my note is around the high 7 to 9 second range with just me in the car. oh and just so you know how much not to believe the reviews, one of them said they had a hard time making the engine go over 4500rpm...i've seen my tach regularly visit the 6000rpm mark when i go to get on the freeway.

·
Registered
339 Posts

Power to weight isn't everything. Without torque and horsepower you still wont accelerate. Take the lotus elise for example great power to weight but horrible top speed compared to a much heavier corvette with lower p/w but can go 200mph. P/w is how fast you get there horsepower is how far you go. So a car with more horsepower but the same p/w will be faster.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
IDK why, I have a gut feeling that Nissan will bring the oversea model Versa to US as the Sentra hatchback in the near future.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I read where many new cars do not include a spare tire to save weight. Instead, they include a patch kit. Does the note come with a spare? Also, I still want to wait a few years after a major upgrade to get the kinks out. Maybe I'll get a 2016 Versa Note. Still not a fan of the Leaf.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Power to weight isn't everything. Without torque and horsepower you still wont accelerate. Take the lotus elise for example great power to weight but horrible top speed compared to a much heavier corvette with lower p/w but can go 200mph. P/w is how fast you get there horsepower is how far you go. So a car with more horsepower but the same p/w will be faster.
power to weight is everything when talking about 0-60 and 1/4 miles times Hence how a 50 hp motorcycle will blow away a 200hp car. Of course there is also transmission gearing as well. Just like you said it's about how fast you get there. I agree with you with you on top speed. You need the extra hp to overcome the drag created at high speeds.

I'm just saying people are talking 11+ seconds 0-60 on the CVT and manual for the new note. I own a 1.6 in a heavier car by 200lbs and I'm definitely not taking 11 seconds to get to 60.

I don't doubt a 1.8V will start walking away from my car later down the road but I bet it would be pretty surprised straight through the quarter mile.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'll admit it's slow initially you have to be easy on the throttle but around what I estimate 15 to 20 mph when the CVT adjusts and that gear set does whatever it does it feels great pick up for the power it has. Feels almost like a gear shift but it's locking up the torque converter and kicking that gear set into high operation what I assume.

After that transfer it feels like you have lots of power at your disposal going up slight hills pushing past 2k RPM I love it just pulls you up no gear hunting.

I'm not sure about the technicals but that gear set is a nifty little thing in there.

Oh and just learned about Adaptive Shift Control so the car learns how you drive and will adjust the gearing ratios automatically based on your style of driving so it can vary from car to car.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I read where many new cars do not include a spare tire to save weight. Instead, they include a patch kit. Does the note come with a spare? Also, I still want to wait a few years after a major upgrade to get the kinks out. Maybe I'll get a 2016 Versa Note. Still not a fan of the Leaf.

Yes my note did come with a spare its tucked away underneath the car

·
Registered
88 Posts
I take professional reviews of economy cars with a very large grain of salt. When you test $30,000+ cars, how can you give an unbiased evaluation of a $15,000 car?

Professional reviews are OK for evaluations like handling, safety and technical details, but I place a lot more weight on owner reviews when it comes to "feel and drive" for economy cars.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I take professional reviews of economy cars with a very large grain of salt. When you test $30,000+ cars, how can you give an unbiased evaluation of a $15,000 car?

Professional reviews are OK for evaluations like handling, safety and technical details, but I place a lot more weight on owner reviews when it comes to "feel and drive" for economy cars.
You need to think about the competition. I know that the Versa is one of the cheapest cars around with good fuel economy, but when it comes to 0-60 or just having power to just go, Ford and Mazda have the right idea. Fiesta, Focus, and Mazda 3 have 5/6 auto transmissions and still get great gas mileage and performance. Yes, you pay a bit more, but I think that goes a great distance for enjoyment of your car. I have driven a Focus ST (so much get up and go from 240+hp motor that still gets 30mpg hwy). I wish that car's performance would be in my V, but I don't see that happening in the near future.

Also, I have said this before. Take the Renault Clio Sport. Put a Versa Note NISMO badge on it, and I'll buy it next week. Or just take the MR16DDT and put it in the V. Tune the motor to 180hp (which is under performance of the motor). You have the epic get around car without breaking the bank.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
You need to think about the competition. I know that the Versa is one of the cheapest cars around with good fuel economy, but when it comes to 0-60 or just having power to just go, Ford and Mazda have the right idea. Fiesta, Focus, and Mazda 3 have 5/6 auto transmissions and still get great gas mileage and performance. Yes, you pay a bit more, but I think that goes a great distance for enjoyment of your car. I have driven a Focus ST (so much get up and go from 240+hp motor that still gets 30mpg hwy). I wish that car's performance would be in my V, but I don't see that happening in the near future.

Also, I have said this before. Take the Renault Clio Sport. Put a Versa Note NISMO badge on it, and I'll buy it next week. Or just take the MR16DDT and put it in the V. Tune the motor to 180hp (which is under performance of the motor). You have the epic get around car without breaking the bank.
We have the juke which is more inline with the price of the focus and the speed. I'd love to see all the new subcompacts specs like 0-60 and 1/4 miles and fuel consumption side by side to see exactly where the versa sits.

I love the clio sport and all the renault sport cars. The twingo sport has a 1.6 engine with renault vtec and puts out 133hp. But that's not the whole story. They are very mod friendly and one company even puts out a package that bumps it almost to 170hp without forced induction. I wish the HR motor was like that. But as many say on here and I totally agree it's build for cost effectiveness and fuel economy only.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It's going to be a interesting few years with Nissan annnouncing autonomous car going on sale by 2020 and eventually the technology going across the line up range.

Currently in development with the Leaf, "Zero Emissions Zero Fatalities" they are describing it as. I'm not sure what the future is going hold for Nissan they seem to be investing heavily in future technologies.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I think what alot of people miss so far though is that subcompact hatchbacks are a very low demand type of vehicle in the states and while yes the Versa is the sales leader in the segment it is still a very small portion of nissans total vehicle sales and while yes other manufacturers are putting sportier options into their hatchbacks it will be a while before hatchbacks become more than just a commuter car in most Americans eyes which is what falls in line with what nissan has always done with their wait and see approach to designing or releasing new vehicles to the American market. I know I myself would love an option to have a sportier version of the note but for what it currently is it is a very good car with a little bit of fun factor thrown in as an afterthought but by no means it's it a boring car as the would be journalists would have you believe. I know realistically though if I wanted something with more performance I would be upgrading to a z instead of a sportier hatchback

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think what alot of people miss so far though is that subcompact hatchbacks are a very low demand type of vehicle in the states and while yes the Versa is the sales leader in the segment it is still a very small portion of nissans total vehicle sales and while yes other manufacturers are putting sportier options into their hatchbacks it will be a while before hatchbacks become more than just a commuter car in most Americans eyes which is what falls in line with what nissan has always done with their wait and see approach to designing or releasing new vehicles to the American market. I know I myself would love an option to have a sportier version of the note but for what it currently is it is a very good car with a little bit of fun factor thrown in as an afterthought but by no means it's it a boring car as the would be journalists would have you believe. I know realistically though if I wanted something with more performance I would be upgrading to a z instead of a sportier hatchback
Well here is a snap I took yesterday saw a sportier note. Like the spoiler.

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lol depending on where you saw it that very well may be mine as I have that exact color and spoiler
Brampton Ontario Canada. So unless you are on a road trip, someone else has exceptional taste in cars like yourself!

My pic was not very good (kids no photos while driving), can u post a nice one of yours so all can see?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Brampton Ontario Canada. So unless you are on a road trip, someone else has exceptional taste in cars like yourself!

My pic was not very good (kids no photos while driving), can u post a nice one of yours so all can see?
That would be a no go for my note than..still a good pic regardless though I know I'm always surprised how good this car looks seeing it from someone else's car lol

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
You guys in canada can at least get all the goodies inside with a manual. Here in the states if we want a manual we have to have roll up windows and no options.

I like the look of the note with the spoiler. It really adds to it. Now just come out with the lip and skirts like other countries and were half way there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.