Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went on a road trip and kept an eye on the tank and the mileage to see the results.

Before the road trip, this is how much fuel was in the Tank

84,252 Miles

The tank had a little less than 3/4 and it went 173.3 miles.

So according to this Exxon gas station I went to...
how many Exxon fuel gallons would it take to fill up the tank back up again?

A. 3.0 gallons
B. 3.5 gallons
C. 4.0 gallons
D. 4.5 gallons
E. 5.0 gallons

the answer was D 4.5 Exxon fuel gallons / 4.537 to be exact.

so 173.3 Miles divided by 4.537 Gallons = 38.197MPG :woot:

don't forget to check the oil!!!

it is hard to tell, but it was full.

and there's the MR18

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
at the 3/4 mark, I noticed that it had 136.4 miles, a little bit too low

at the end, I went 194.6 miles

and it took 5.900

194.6 miles, divided by 5.9 gallons = 32.08 MPG
maybe it was too hot? driving too fast? running the AC? who knows...

and I paid 4.04 a gallon. first time I pay 4 dollars a gallon

then I noticed on the way back, at the end I had this much gas left
and went 194.5 miles

Vs

how much I had left out of a full tank when I got there

I find the results interesting... that's all

the MPG was lower on the way there but the MPG was higher on the way back because I had more fuel in the tank
but this is not 100% accurate because I was not able to use the same pump

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Awesome results as usual!!!

I wouldn't worry too much about where the needle is compared to miles traveled. The gauge is not all that accurate and I would think the outside temperature since it has an affect on the gasoline would also affect the gauge.

Are you going to change your signature to reflect the 38mpg?

·
Registered
377 Posts
My MPG in my 1.8 CVT isn't even close to that on the highway, but that's because I drive pretty fast. Getting where I am going timely and having fun are important to me, I'd like to think I get a pretty good Miles Per Gallon Per Minutes on the road...drive fast and somewhat hurt fuel economy, but as efficiently as possible for the speed I am going, cruise control, long following distances, gentle acceleration, no braking...but all at 80 Mph instead of 55. My favorite thing (well, best of a bad situation) is to slow-crawl traffic instead of stop-and-go...I once had traffic on the highway for the entire distance I was going and managed 43Mpg by just keeping a long following distance, going like 4Mph, and never stopping. Lots of angry people passing me and then slamming on their brakes to not crash into the car I was following! Congrats on 38. If you manage that often that's a freaking achievement.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Awesome results as usual!!!

I wouldn't worry too much about where the needle is compared to miles traveled. The gauge is not all that accurate and I would think the outside temperature since it has an affect on the gasoline would also affect the gauge.

Are you going to change your signature to reflect the 38mpg?
I cannot find the exact temperature but it was hot outside.
to get a good MPG it can't be too hot, it can't be too cold and there are a lot other factors.
Not going to change the signature yet, I will do a second test next time I fill up at the 3/4 mark and see what I get :thumb2:

I still question the exxon fuel pump if it clicked too soon because maybe the tank was not 100% full [I'm not saying full until it comes out, that's over full]
so maybe at the 3/4 mark it had 136.4 miles and not 150 miles highway

I will do a second test and report back the results as usual :thumb2:

My MPG in my 1.8 CVT isn't even close to that on the highway, but that's because I drive pretty fast. Getting where I am going timely and having fun are important to me, I'd like to think I get a pretty good Miles Per Gallon Per Minutes on the road...drive fast and somewhat hurt fuel economy, but as efficiently as possible for the speed I am going, cruise control, long following distances, gentle acceleration, no braking...but all at 80 Mph instead of 55. My favorite thing (well, best of a bad situation) is to slow-crawl traffic instead of stop-and-go...I once had traffic on the highway for the entire distance I was going and managed 43Mpg by just keeping a long following distance, going like 4Mph, and never stopping. Lots of angry people passing me and then slamming on their brakes to not crash into the car I was following! Congrats on 38. If you manage that often that's a freaking achievement.
I do slow-crawl traffic also :thumb2:
people don't like it, I have a manual transmission and if I can stay on 1st or
2nd without wearing down the clutch is fine with me.

An other thing people don't like is when I coast to a red light.
if the traffic light is red, why should I be in a hurry to stop? I just let off the gas and maybe the red light might turn back to green when I get there

in general, we all drive however we want to drive.
my philosophy is this... if I'm not blocking anyone and staying out of people's way why not. I'm also avoiding a speeding ticket, saving money on gas, and it gives me time to react if something happens. is a win win
Now, I'm not like some drivers who drive the speed limit on the left lane.
I do the speed limit on the right lane away from everyone but if traffic is moving fast, then I stay on the right lane following the car in front who's probably going 5MPH over the speed limit but other cars on the left lanes are going 10 to 15MPH over the speed limit. that's just the way it is.

I had a speeding ticket before, back in 2008, a cop was hidding behind a bridge, he clocked me doing 15MPH over the speed limit, paid $120.00.
I was mad at myself because I had better things to do with that money.
so I said to myself "this will be my last speeding ticket" and as of today I'm keeping my word and helps me save gas money/ like I said, is a win win
:thumb2:

Peace!

P.S
and why do I always use this? :thumb2:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You must do ALOT of driving for a 2007 Versa, hell right before I sold the V to my dad, it had less than 25k for a 2008.
Yes I do. told the sale's man I needed something good on gas :thumb2:

·
Registered
377 Posts
I cannot find the exact temperature but it was hot outside.
to get a good MPG it can't be too hot, it can't be too cold and there are a lot other factors.
Not going to change the signature yet, I will do a second test next time I fill up at the 3/4 mark and see what I get :thumb2:

I still question the exxon fuel pump if it clicked too soon because maybe the tank was not 100% full [I'm not saying full until it comes out, that's over full]
so maybe at the 3/4 mark it had 136.4 miles and not 150 miles highway

I will do a second test and report back the results as usual :thumb2:

I do slow-crawl traffic also :thumb2:
people don't like it, I have a manual transmission and if I can stay on 1st or
2nd without wearing down the clutch is fine with me.

An other thing people don't like is when I coast to a red light.
if the traffic light is red, why should I be in a hurry to stop? I just let off the gas and maybe the red light might turn back to green when I get there

in general, we all drive however we want to drive.
my philosophy is this... if I'm not blocking anyone and staying out of people's way why not. I'm also avoiding a speeding ticket, saving money on gas, and it gives me time to react if something happens. is a win win
Now, I'm not like some drivers who drive the speed limit on the left lane.
I do the speed limit on the right lane away from everyone but if traffic is moving fast, then I stay on the right lane following the car in front who's probably going 5MPH over the speed limit but other cars on the left lanes are going 10 to 15MPH over the speed limit. that's just the way it is.

I had a speeding ticket before, back in 2008, a cop was hidding behind a bridge, he clocked me doing 15MPH over the speed limit, paid $120.00.
I was mad at myself because I had better things to do with that money.
so I said to myself "this will be my last speeding ticket" and as of today I'm keeping my word and helps me save gas money/ like I said, is a win win
:thumb2:

Peace!

P.S
and why do I always use this? :thumb2:
Yeah I always try to coast to red lights...but people get pissed if say they're trying to turn right or left and they might be able to do it before the light is green and you being there is blocking it.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I always try to coast to red lights...but people get pissed if say they're trying to turn right or left and they might be able to do it before the light is green and you being there is blocking it.

for that specific case, you can't coast too slow then :auto:

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
08v's Road Trip! :D mpgs to follow

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
very nice! :thumb2:

How did you get the 40MPG? what was the distance and total fuel gallons?
He is quoting imperial mpg so it's like 33 US mpg. Still very good :thumb2:.

And about coasting up to lights and pissing people off, I say let them be pissed! If I see a green light I coast and if I see a red light I keep my speed up. This usually equates to the light being green everytime once I get up to it. I don't care if your mad behind me, your not paying to fill my tank. You won't get to your destination any quicker by speeding up to a light just to sit and wait at it all while getting 0mpg while you do.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
He is quoting imperial mpg so it's like 33 US mpg. Still very good :thumb2:.

And about coasting up to lights and pissing people off, I say let them be pissed! If I see a green light I coast and if I see a red light I keep my speed up. This usually equates to the light being green everytime once I get up to it. I don't care if your mad behind me, your not paying to fill my tank. You won't get to your destination any quicker by speeding up to a light just to sit and wait at it all while getting 0mpg while you do.
Just say no to Hurry Up and Stop! The 40mpg is avg for all April. Can post details later. Closing in on 127000km on this trip.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used to have road rade but I kinda grew out of it

Here's another video I made. same road trip

I get bored when I drive...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts