Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about an engine head swap, I found that in both engines the piston diameter is the same. So, i guess the displacement differences resides on a bigger engine head. Do you guys know anything about this? Is it possible to get an mr20 engine head on an mr18 engine block? Compression rate would be affected, but if the engine blocks are the same, i don't think it would be a problem.

What do you think/know about this?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
all you have to change are the rods and crankshaft (might need pistons too but not sure). and you have an instant MR20. I just did a full on swap but bob over at versaspeed is doing it the other way with parts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
all you have to change are the rods and crankshaft (might need pistons too but not sure). and you have an instant MR20. I just did a full on swap but bob over at versaspeed is doing it the other way with parts.
So engine head, larger rods and cranks for a larger BDC = more displacement.
That must be it for the difference between those 2 engines, thx tango.

Alright, another question comes to my mind, would it be necessary to install mr20's ecu?? fuel mixture and compression will be changed, something has to manage that difference, or are both engines running with the same ecu? reprogramming would be enough?

I'm really interested on this thing, i can easily get mr20 parts here :29:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts

Alright, another question comes to my mind, would it be necessary to install mr20's ecu?? fuel mixture and compression will be changed, something has to manage that difference, or are both engines running with the same ecu? reprogramming would be enough?

That statement alone says a lot and you clearly have no idea what you're getting into.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts

believe it or not, its cheaper just to go buy a MR20 at a wrecking yard. I got mine for $850, a 2008 sentra with 24k miles.

You don't have to change the ECU. It will learn the new engine within 2 weeks. I had a SES light, it was just an idle code and it went away after a week or so, the computer learned how to work with the new motor. so no need for an ECU change either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. No problem with the ecu then. I wouldn't perform a complete engine swap because mine is still new, so i'd prefer to work on it.
Btw, how is it going so far with the guy at versaspeed?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Ok. No problem with the ecu then. I wouldn't perform a complete engine swap because mine is still new, so i'd prefer to work on it.
haven't got a clue.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I was offended by Alpix's ass of a comment, then I realized no one even responded to it. Way to go guys!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was offended by Alpix's ass of a comment, then I realized no one even responded to it. Way to go guys!
Now that you bring it up... there is a bunch of fail in this thread.

Just because the bore is the same. 84.0 mm (3.31 in) does not mean the 2.0L rods and crank will simply drop in. Also you have to do rings, bearings and gaskets.

There may be clearances that need to be done to the block. The mains may have different diameters, etc, The Piston may also have a different deck height also.

I suspect that the head may be the same, but you would have to look at the cam and valve specs to be sure.

Sure seems way cheaper to just drop the 2.0 motor straight in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would do the same thing, my engine is also "new", but I wanted to know did you finally managed to do the engine parts swap?? does it work well for you? I was also wondering do you guys think that my CVT transmition will change something?? cause if I'm not mistaking your Versas are all 6 speeds manual transmitions

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.