Nissan Versa Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Very impressive.. I'd love to see it and feel the difference.. im about 8.5hrs from you.. sweet setup..

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
^ Nothing similar about it. SR and MR are two completely different engines. Too much custom work would have to be done. The idea has been tossed around the forum multiple times but no one has had the balls to tackle it lol. Theoretically it can be done, it's just a matter of having deep pockets lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
does anyone know if you can swap from a mr18 cvt to a mr20 6 speed

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
You should be able to but no one's done it. There would be a lot more to do with it as you'd have to switch the interior components as well.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Sure you can, but you would have to splice 6 speed harness into your engine harness, and likely reflash the PCM and/or find a 6 speed one since the factory PCM will be looking for signals that are no longer there from the trans. Plus theres the shift linkage which isn't too bad, you could pull the entire assembly from the wreckers. The box housing where the cables connect and the ball pivot is located is bolted to the chassis so you'd have to remove the mid pipe to bolt up the box. Then you take the entire clutch hydraulic system from a 6 speed, which is fed by the brake MC resevoir, so either you have to find a 6 speed MC resevoir and swap yours or (like i did) find a separate resevoir from a similar car (i used a small Integra clutch master resevoir and mounted it on the strut tower using an existing PCM bracket stud, then used VW cloth covered clutch feed hose).

For those that are considering the swap, skip this phase and just go for broke and put a QR25 or SR20 in it. The MR20 swap is not that big of a difference.. i wasn't all that happy with the difference which is why i had to turbo it. Now i make boost noises. The only reason i'll stick with MR's for this car is the ease of install and the plentifulness of motors. Up here in Canada you can get these real low mileage for $500... i already blew mine up on boost so i gotta put another one in. Although i'll transfer the head since it's port and polished.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice write up.
There's alot of stuff you could have done to save time pulling the motor though.

I never fully ​undress the engine- not needed at all-
I leave the whole harness attached to the engine and transmission, just unbuckle them at the driver side fender- the only harness that actually doesn't come out with the engine is the rear o2 sensor and the one for the AC compressor.
Drop the motor and transmission out the bottom-
The mounts are easier to line back up on reassembly and you can leave the h2o pump + exhaust manifold attached, I have a lift but it can still be done easily out the bottom with Jack stands and a cherry picker.
Also, there's no need to remove the brake booster when coming out the bottom.
I remove the front core support (bolts in) and radiator etc, cv's, three exhaust mount bolts, ontake manifold,AC compressor, alternator, unbuckle the harness, remove the lower dog bone mount, unfasten the trans mount and passenger side engine mount the use an engine hoist to lower the engine onto the ground. If you have access to a lift just lower the car until the oil pan is resting on a solid work bench or table then remove all the engine mounts and lift the car above the table.
With air tools and a lift I can remove the engine in my versa in less than 2 hours-
It usually takes 3+ to reinstall but but still a far cry from what all data saying its about 16 hours to r+r and engine on one of these.

·
Registered
2 Posts
with my car being non cvt, can my transmission mate with the mr20de engine that uses a cvt transmission or do i need to carry over the cvt transmssion when doing the swap? i'm just wanting to know if i can just get any mr20de engine or if it needs to be from one with the same transmission type as mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
with my car being non cvt, can my transmission mate with the mr20de engine that uses a cvt transmission or do i need to carry over the cvt transmssion when doing the swap? i'm just wanting to know if i can just get any mr20de engine or if it needs to be from one with the same transmission type as mine.
can anyone chime in on this?

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
It will work, you just need to make sure the water pump and thermostat housing comes over from the old motor.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
About this Discussion
52 Replies
26 Participants
Thchalerms
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing