Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm posting this but pretty positive I can do this I have an 08 Nissan Sentra with the mr20. Well I spunt a rod bearing I'm looking at it 1st rod on passenger side car had a bad knock happened to me 530pm holloween night didn't get to trick or treat with my kids I should have cought this...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I went to a pull a part looking for a 08 or 09 Sentra mr20de.... Checked and tested 2 of 5 that had engine still in did not pass my test both had fileings in oil so I turned my head moved on... I ran into a 2009 Nissan versa cvt tranny... My Sentra also has cvt tranny but they look different tranny wise at cv axels... But engine is same base style long block... But I know mr18de from versa is 1.8 L . My Sentra mr20de 2.0 L they both use same bolt on parts alt, water pump, a/c air compressor ect. Behind oil pan seems alot different and I'm aware there different in cc , displacement ect. It's same family smaller engine I know. But just trying to get car back on road... So I'm ok with 1.8 as a down grade bc it's all I can't get my hands on moment that seems to be a good buy ..... I'm looking to use all my Sentra bolt on parts and my harness and ECU I've read a few things about the versa upgrade to mr20de with ease can I do the same with my Sentra just in reverse kinda like a down grade while I rebuild mr20de not looking to reinvent the wheel thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I pulled the mr18de but left it at the yard bc i was unsure about it some say yes some say no but 8t there so if I get a good go-ahead I'm Gunna grab that baby and smack in my bay

·
Registered
422 Posts
I am I'm asking if the 1.8 will work with my ecm, harness and bolt on parts form my 2.0 that's it
it should, because you can swap a 20 to a Versa, so I would assume that you could do the other way too.

The issue maybe is that the sentra is heavier than the versa so a smaller engine may probably be a struggle.
I would wait a little longer for a 20, if you are not in a hurry.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I am I'm asking if the 1.8 will work with my ecm, harness and bolt on parts form my 2.0 that's it
That's a controversial subject. Many will say you can, but Nissan is known for engineering specific parts for specific applications. I can say specifically that some Nissan engines can differ enough from one year to the next that specific ECMs, harnesses and ancillary systems are needed. For the MR series, I'd agree with the previous poster that waiting for a MR20DE will be the best path to follow.

·
Registered
640 Posts
While yes you can go to the 1.8, I would try to avoid it at costs. You will have a 20 hp loss in a heavier car. Add in parasitic power drain(AC, alternator, ect), and it will barely get out of it's
own way.
I highly recommend looking at www.car-part.com for an engine. I see alot of low mileage engine available there.

Reactions: pimperell and Ecate

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey there... Thanks alot to all of you guys....
I'm not the best at writing... I can read tho....
And I took the info giving to me and applied it...
Found a Decent MR20 engine $500 90day Warranty
Swapp went good lotta swearing..
Engine runs pretty fair for an 08.. did new oil&filter subbed one qrt of 5w30 for locus oil treatment sparkplugs,waterpump,thermostat
Pulled it like I did my LM7 5.3 LS from my Z71 pickup.... This was a royale pain..... It was a fight getting old MR20 out from the sky with engine hoist..
So I bear blocked the newtomeused engine in for inch's needed to be free moveing in & out of engine bay.. cut to the chase I drained tranny and removed T-pan T-converter to inspect input shaft seals..I turned my head thinking they are ok had no leak before might be alright... Worst I mean THE WORST 20 $ ever saved.. Losing tranny fluid at the Bell
I'm certain it's CVT NS-2... I know the answer to this madness any suggestions..... Thanks KJ...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes I am. And I'm aware. Any suggestions on makeing this not such a pain in the butt? This talk about the engine tranny sub frame drop from under... Anybody can school me on this procedure ?? Thanks KJ

1 - 16 of 16 Posts