Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s a versa note S 2014. Any help with what needs to be done or how to go about this motor swap would really be helpful I’ve also been doing research about how this would change the transmission I’m just comfortable with an automatic to be honest but this would be really interesting to do my note and I’m not sure where to start

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It’s a versa note S 2014. Any help with what needs to be done or how to go about this motor swap would really be helpful I’ve also been doing research about how this would change the transmission I’m just comfortable with an automatic to be honest but this would be really interesting to do my note and I’m not sure where to start
(MR20DE or VQ35DE)

·
Registered
286 Posts
So your plan is to go from the stock 4cyl to a custom V6 setup in a versa?

I'm not sure a the V6 and it's transmission is going to fit under the hood, let alone be compatible with the front knuckle orientation and steering. On top of all that you'd need the VQ35 wiring harness, computers, etc.

You'd need the entire front drivetrain, suspension, controls and wiring out of a VQ35 equipped donor vehicle, at which point you'd be better off buying the vehicle you want with the VQ35 anyway and keep the versa as is.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Start with a boatload of money to do a custom install of an engine that was never originally intended for the Versa Note. Nah, you say, I can do this myself. OK- get ready to spend years on a frustrating project that may never totally function without CELS and other problems cropping up all the time. Modern cars have complex electronic architectures that make swapping drivetrains a difficult task.

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Versa Note
17 Posts
Start with a boatload of money to do a custom install of an engine that was never originally intended for the Versa Note. Nah, you say, I can do this myself. OK- get ready to spend years on a frustrating project that may never totally function without CELS and other problems cropping up all the time. Modern cars have complex electronic architectures that make swapping drivetrains a difficult task.
while you have a point the versa notes aren't a good example of said complex electornic architectures lol
if he has the base package (with manual windows, may i remind you), the electronics are quite literally the basics. the base level notes are probably the most simple cars made in this decade. i mean hell, in my car (with said manual windows, no power locks, etc) the literal only wiring is the two for the speaker.
the base car has no added parking or driving assistance sensors, no back up camera, etc
possibly the most 'complex' tech is that the note has electronic power steering as opposed to traditional power steering

the note is honestly a good shell to work with if you have the money and mind to do it

·
Registered
125 Posts
while you have a point the versa notes aren't a good example of said complex electornic architectures lol
if he has the base package (with manual windows, may i remind you), the electronics are quite literally the basics. the base level notes are probably the most simple cars made in this decade. i mean hell, in my car (with said manual windows, no power locks, etc) the literal only wiring is the two for the speaker.
the base car has no added parking or driving assistance sensors, no back up camera, etc
possibly the most 'complex' tech is that the note has electronic power steering as opposed to traditional power steering

the note is honestly a good shell to work with if you have the money and mind to do it
You're overlooking the other side of the equation- the VQ35DE has a much more complex electronic architecture that may not interface with the Versa. The ECM will be looking for inputs that may not exist. and will activate limp mode if it senses trouble. Plus, money and the experience to use it wisely is not an easy combination to come by.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts