Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Versa S sedan 5 speed manual. Last night while driving home I was in stop and go traffic. While stopped I noticed my brake pedal would drop every time the A/C compressor would cycle on. A few times the brake pedal went almost to the floor. I have never noticed this with my car before. I only have 3500 miles on the car. I am assuming the brake pedal will move slightly as the A/C cycles on. However going almost to the floor means there is something wrong. Fluid level is fine. Can anyone tell me if their brake pedal moves while the car is stopped and the A/C cycles on? I think moving a little is normal but what my car did means a trip to the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Yeah, trip to the dealer. Usually a soft petal means air in the lines. To work with the ac sounds like a vacuum issue with the brake booster, but still air in the lines.

Yeah, I like a hard petal, so I bleed mines even as a new car so it was harder.

To my experience nissans have very sharp brakes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, trip to the dealer. Usually a soft petal means air in the lines. To work with the ac sounds like a vacuum issue with the brake booster, but still air in the lines.

Yeah, I like a hard petal, so I bleed mines even as a new car so it was harder.

To my experience nissans have very sharp brakes.

Thanks. I have had the car almost a year and this was the first time I have ever felt the brake pedal move when the A/C cycles. But almost going to the floor scared the you know what out of me. Drove the rest of the way home (only about 1/2 a mile) with my hand on the emergency-parking brake. I'll try and get it in to a dealer Monday or Tuesday.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thanks. I have had the car almost a year and this was the first time I have ever felt the brake pedal move when the A/C cycles. But almost going to the floor scared the you know what out of me. Drove the rest of the way home (only about 1/2 a mile) with my hand on the emergency-parking brake. I'll try and get it in to a dealer Monday or Tuesday.
I wouldn't hurt to check the brake fluid lever first.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I wouldn't hurt to check the brake fluid lever first.
What is a brake fluid lever? I posted in my original message that the brake fluid level is fine. I've never heard of a brake fluid lever.

Edit: Geez I just realized after I posted this that you probably typed lever meaning level. Level is fine. I can't find a way to delete this post. Sry but it just dawned on me that you might have made a typo.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Back in the day cars with AC required more VACUUM and usually had an extra vacuum reserve somewhere otherwise when you hit the brakes the ac quit, engine quit or the flaps in the dash moved due to lack of vacuum and it blew out other vents if they were vacuum controlled.

Even earlier cars had vacuum controlled wipers and use of AC or flooring the car caused the wipers to temporarily pause. >:D

Wished I had a brake fluid lever. Even blinker fluid lever would be fine.

·
Registered
255 Posts
What is a brake fluid lever? I posted in my original message that the brake fluid level is fine. I've never heard of a brake fluid lever.

Edit: Geez I just realized after I posted this that you probably typed lever meaning level. Level is fine. I can't find a way to delete this post. Sry but it just dawned on me that you might have made a typo.
You are correct, I both missed your original reference to the fine brake fluid level, and misspelled it. My bad, sorry.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drove the car today and the brake pedal moves a bit when stopped at a red light and A/C cycles on. Nothing like the other night though. It went down to about 2 inches from the floor the other night. I'll just keep an eye on it for now. I've been to dealers enough to know that they will return the car to me with "No issue found" written on the work order.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
ram1220
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing