Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an ongoing issue with 2019 versa stability at speed? Its spooky at 60, and impossible at 80. Been to the dealer twice and they say can't duplicate. Withbad attitude.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Impressed you have they? Typical dealer reaction.

No there is nothing inherent in Versa design that makes them unstable other than they can be pushed around by crosswinds a little bit because they are so light. I drive an '11 and it handles perfectly other than that minor complaint here in Texas crosswinds of up to 35 mph. I can drive 80 all day long in it.

The front tires must be in good shape and you cannot have any toe issues, wander or skittishness is often toe off some and especially toe out too much. That'll do it quick.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is there an ongoing issue with 2019 versa stability at speed? Its spooky at 60, and impossible at 80. Been to the dealer twice and they say can't duplicate. Withbad attitude.
They won't do anything because doing anything means that Nissan could be liable for another recall on top of the current CVT recall for the '14-17' versas
It's a simple fix, mostly has to do with alignment. Fixing your alignment will do absolute wonders for driving at higher speeds.

·
Registered
427 Posts
+1 on alignment. I have an 09 hatch that I can run 80 all day as well. When the alignment was out, it did get interesting.
The early Geo Metro/Suzuki Swift was alot worse with their smaller, narrower tires.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 2018 Versa S had the same problem. Thought I was going to get pulled over for drunk driving! Had the dealer align it which made no difference, camber 1 degree out of spec on one front wheel. Now with 18000 miles it has improved greatly so I speculate some steering component was too tight like the rack or ball joints or struts. I believe there is some spec in the alignment procedure about how much effort is required to turn the wheels but that test isn't routinely done.

Anyway all is good now after whatever steering components that were tight have loosened up with use.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Our 2015 Versa 1.6s holds the road well too, although I haven't had it past 75mph for any length of time. Like said above, crosswinds effect any vehicle like this.

Tires can have an effect on what's described above and once they get some miles on them, you're good.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
(LOL) post #5...........THINK.............if a car IS driving straight then having the steering somewhat tighter is BETTER, it allows less wander since it tends to hold in the same position! It's only when needing correction that you want it to move easier, meaning the problem is that the car would not go straight to BEGIN WITH.

Com'on guys, we're not dealing with rocket science here. Most sudden movement to drift is toe out and both ends of the car must not be like that with the back track centered on the front as well. I should know, I align my cars by myself and using no alignment machine at all.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My 2018 Versa S had the same problem. Thought I was going to get pulled over for drunk driving! Had the dealer align it which made no difference, camber 1 degree out of spec on one front wheel. Now with 18000 miles it has improved greatly so I speculate some steering component was too tight like the rack or ball joints or struts. I believe there is some spec in the alignment procedure about how much effort is required to turn the wheels but that test isn't routinely done.

Anyway all is good now after whatever steering components that were tight have loosened up with use.

This is also my experience with my 2016 Versa sedan. I even posted a question about it here when the car was brand new. After driving it for 3 years the car seems much better at 75mph.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
You put up with it when it was easily fixable, takes maybe 10 minutes and minor work to fix but one has to know what he is doing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts