Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently had an ice storm here in Canada a few days ago and i had not driven my car for a few days. Today the weather got better and i decided to go run some errands. I opened my driver door with no issues which was surprising because doors are known to freeze during storms. I went to the places I needed to go and upon returning to my car in the parking lot and trying to open the door it seemed to be "frozen" so i just entered through my passenger door no problem.

Now that i have had a chance to inspect more it seems that the exterior door handle does not respond to the latch while the interior one works just fine. Please help me figure out what this could be as i dont have a garage and dont wish to spend much time outside in -20 degree weather!

I've got a 2011 red versa HB with a pretty cool sound system installed!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Each control both inside and out has a cable, the outside has to pull on the cable. There is an inside door reinforcement part that holds the cable and the outside handle, if that is broken the outside handle will not work. Inside door panel and some other things have to come off to fix it, the fix is done inside the door.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Each control both inside and out has a cable, the outside has to pull on the cable. There is an inside door reinforcement part that holds the cable and the outside handle, if that is broken the outside handle will not work. Inside door panel and some other things have to come off to fix it, the fix is done inside the door.
How difficult do you think this job can be? And any good tips to know for next time?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Well, I haven't been inside a Versa door yet so cannot tell you. Me it would take hardly any time at all though, I have been into lots of other car door internals. Take what I posted above, I got all that from simply studying a pic of the door insides. I pick that stuff up like lightning.

I would have to say for you the difficulty level will be higher due to lack of skills.

·
Registered
876 Posts
We recently had an ice storm here in Canada a few days ago and i had not driven my car for a few days. Today the weather got better and i decided to go run some errands. I opened my driver door with no issues which was surprising because doors are known to freeze during storms. I went to the places I needed to go and upon returning to my car in the parking lot and trying to open the door it seemed to be "frozen" so i just entered through my passenger door no problem.

Now that i have had a chance to inspect more it seems that the exterior door handle does not respond to the latch while the interior one works just fine. Please help me figure out what this could be as i dont have a garage and dont wish to spend much time outside in -20 degree weather!

I've got a 2011 red versa HB with a pretty cool sound system installed!

You might want to take a look at this video to get an idea of what the job entails............

·
Registered
129 Posts
At least you don't have a 2016 with the only outside key hole being on the driver's door. If this happens to my car I have no idea how I am getting into the car short of breaking a window. I have no idea what Nissan was thinking. Good luck on fixing your door.

·
Registered
637 Posts
At least you don't have a 2016 with the only outside key hole being on the driver's door. If this happens to my car I have no idea how I am getting into the car short of breaking a window.
Just call AAA and tell them you locked yourself out of your car. :)
Seriously, I am a minimalist, but still I am not sure I would buy a car with only a driver door being keyed.

I have no idea what Nissan was thinking.
Not difficult to figure it out. Damn cheap monkeys... Be glad this car has 4 wheels.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Don't get me started on the no key for pass door thing, I curse Nissan every time I go to the pass door and try to open it. It smacks of those things that line workers come up with ideas for to get them a bonus of $500 then the true savings get taken by higher ups claiming the ideas themselves to get stock bonuses for the million bucks saved. It's the kind of thing I curse Ghozn for.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just call AAA and tell them you locked yourself out of your car. :)
Seriously, I am a minimalist, but still I am not sure I would buy a car with only a driver door being keyed.

Not difficult to figure it out. Damn cheap monkeys... Be glad this car has 4 wheels.

But will AAA actually get me into the car if the door handle cable is broken? That's what is wrong with the OP's car door and why I replied about mine. What I have found out is if I push on my passenger rear window from the outside I can lower the glass far enough to get my hand into the car and unlock it. Another flaw in this car but I guess if my driver's door handle breaks it's how I'll get into my car. And to be honest when I test drove the car I checked it from top to bottom. My mistake for not noticing but I never ever thought that an auto maker would cheap out and only have a key hole on the driver's door. It's not something I noticed until after I got the car home.

·
Registered
753 Posts
My mistake for not noticing but I never ever thought that an auto maker would cheap out and only have a key hole on the driver's door. It's not something I noticed until after I got the car home.
This is sadly something that GM has been doing since the late 90's/early2000's.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Same with Ford, they can't stand for one CEO to get the bonus money and the others don't. One should look under the cars at all the bumper holes that get left with no bolts in them, many use 8 bolts but only put 4 in them and I've seen 2 before. What they sacrifice when the worker on the line gets overloaded to get behind, they leave parts off the cars all the time. Why often if something uses snap fasteners to pop in place by hand you commonly find one missing in the trunk liner or other place they think you won't ever see. It's called saving parts to bump the profits up, you get a bonus if you have them figure your number of cars passed through and you have parts left over to save them money. Anything goes to keep that assembly line sped up. They have worker bonus programs set up to reward any workers that figure out how to let the cars get out with fewer parts. One bolt X 40,000 cars tell me the bill for bolts there. Why the bean counters sh-t bricks on extra parts not planned for when they have to refit for noise or vibration not found at initial car rollout, an extra $1 part flips them out.

·
Registered
637 Posts
But will AAA actually get me into the car if the door handle cable is broken? That's what is wrong with the OP's car door and why I replied about mine.
If the door can be opened from inside, AAA may be able to open it from outside using shims and other devices.

And to be honest when I test drove the car I checked it from top to bottom. My mistake for not noticing but I never ever thought that an auto maker would cheap out and only have a key hole on the driver's door. It's not something I noticed until after I got the car home.
Before I bought my Versa, I searched reviews online (I do it for all cars I get), and I saw people complaining about it. I wouldn't thing about it otherwise. So it was the first thing I checked on the prospect car.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The rate of AAA getting in the cars is much lower than it used to be unless you OK them doing some slight damage to the car. They often must yield a window frame to get inside to the inside door lock now as most cars have covers over the inside door lock linkages to stop slimjim type devices from even getting to anything to unlock it. I sold slimjims as well when I was in parts and hundreds; out of all of those nobody ever came back with a success story, they all failed. Just wanting to return the device since it didn't work.

Meaning AAA may work but you may have a bent door or window frame too after they do it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
If you locked yourself out of your car with the engine running, in some localities you can call cops and they attempt to unlock your car for free. Of course once it is unlocked you have to prove your ownership. I witnessed it years ago when a guy at work got himself in such situation. A cop brought some kit with shims, and it did not take him long to unlock the car. The main thing for police to be involved - the car engine has to be running.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.