Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed a 13 inch diameter oil stain in my parking lot yesterday, and thought it may have been another car. Parked in different spot today, same spot, so its my Versa. Trying to determine oil or training fluid overnight. Had CVT fluid change AND new trans pan and gasket on 8/23. Possible gasket was improperly installed on new trans pan?? I have a assigned spot in parking lot, so this leak is only 2 days old. ANY OTHER IDEAS?? Versa has 130.000 miles and never leaked a drop of oil or anything until yesterday. Maybe power steering fluid??? Oil and trans fluid dipsticks read good, but its only about a cup of leakage each time. I laid down white towel to see if I Can check color.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would take it back to the shop YESTERDAY! Especially if it could be the trans.

Put an old box or cardboard under the car
If the puddle is more on the drivers side, it is most likely the trans.
If the puddle is more on the passenger side, it is most likely oil.
If the puddle is more in front behind the bumper, it is most likely coolant.

It will not be brake fluid, your lights would have come on already, and you would have lost brakes by now.
It will not be power steering, unless you can see electrons flooding the inside of your car! (lol)
The p/s on the car is electric and is located just below and behind the gauge cluster.

·
Registered
263 Posts
It will not be power steering, unless you can see electrons flooding the inside of your car! (lol)
The p/s on the car is electric and is located just below and behind the gauge cluster.
According to OP's profile, his car is 2007 Versa XL. A quick search shows it has not an electric PS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I put a towel down and the fluid has no color and no discernible smell that I can dermine. The oil level looks good, trans fluid looks good, radiator is full. Very strange??? . . There is a reservoir next to radiator fill/cap. This reservoir is empty, although it looks like there may have been fluid in there at one time. I know I sound like a dumda$$ but I am not, and I have owned a lot of cars, but never a Nissan. Thanks in advance for any pointers

·
Registered
137 Posts
According to OP's profile, his car is 2007 Versa XL. A quick search shows it has not an electric PS.
I didn't see any mention of hydraulic PS in the 07 Versa FSM. I thought they all were EPS.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I put a towel down and the fluid has no color and no discernible smell that I can dermine. The oil level looks good, trans fluid looks good, radiator is full. Very strange??? . . There is a reservoir next to radiator fill/cap. This reservoir is empty, although it looks like there may have been fluid in there at one time. I know I sound like a dumda$$ but I am not, and I have owned a lot of cars, but never a Nissan. Thanks in advance for any pointers
The reservoir just behind the radiator is the coolant overflow tank. There should be coolant in it.
There is also one by the right headlight. That is the washer fluid reservoir.

Water from the A/C? It has been quite humid around here the last few days. I actually had to use mine for the fist time since I went to St. Louis a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It may be the water condensation on the A/C. My 07 Versa SL has water on the floor after a/c was on for a long time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe this may be the culprit, and I live in Bloomington, IL (3 hours North of St Louis), and it has been SUPER humid here as well. I had a Toyota Camry a couple years ago, and it actually had a similar, issue which one of the guys who checked it out noticed (so unfortunately, I didn't see the actual results of the AC Condensation back-up).

I will gather more data and update the post. I am hoping this is the issue, as this is best case scenario.

I have had this Versa for almost 2 years and had no problems. BUT, it has 130,000 miles and I do change the synthetic every 4k miles. I am hoping to drive this 07 Versa another year if I can, but any suggestions would be awesome! Thanks Guys

·
Registered
52 Posts
I often see condensation on the ground from the a/c in my Versa. If it's water it should evaporate. I'd check underneath the car after it's been sitting in the same spot for few hours to see if there's any signs of moisture or stains still on the ground. If it's still there after working an 8 hour day I doubt it's water.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Having thought about it, it most likely is water. You are only an hour and some change south of me and it is HUMID!
Now we get July weather!!!.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes . . definitely. It is quite possible someone with a really bad oil leak parked in my spot, briefly, and I did not know it. AND, it just happened to coincide with this issue I am talking about. But yes, if there is a stain after 8 hours, and no car parked in that area, then I am in trouble.

If I do determine that the AC condensation drain is plugged up and holding back water and particulates, how do I fix that without a lift?

·
Registered
52 Posts
If I do determine that the AC condensation drain is plugged up and holding back water and particulates, how do I fix that without a lift?
I doubt it's stopped up and is probably just the normal amount of condensation from the a/c unit. My Versa on a hot/humid day usually has a pretty large wet spot underneath it from the a/c when it's first parked. There's enough condensation from the unit in my house that sometimes it's muddy around my unit.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yeah, it's not stopped up if you are seeing a puddle on the ground. If the condensate drain tube plugs, you'll get water inside the car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts