Nissan Versa Forums banner

Nail in the tire advise

1K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Antil1971 
#1 ·
After spending 1 hour surfing on the net I still dont know what to do.
It's better to repair or to buy new tire?
Could someone with knowledge and experience give me advice?
Thank you!

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
If you ask them most likely they will say "No". They do not want to turn down an opportunity to sell a new tire.

If you concern about safety, just bring in a nailed tire and tell them to plug it, without asking about if it is safe. If they think it is unsafe, they will tell you it themselves, and flat out refuse to do it.

#10 ·
X2 post #8. You don't need a boot, and assuming talking a tube there they are more problematic. The nail head is perpendicular meaning straight in and easy to plug with high reliability if the guy doing the work is competent. It will plug great in that location, and that is typically where most holes end up.

I have plugged literally a hundred + tires now due to a peculiarity of the local back drive (nails embedded in the dirt) and had over 40 flats in one year due to it. Forced to learn how to plug and now I do it in under 5 minutes with tire still on car and a 95% success rate. Meaning the tire wears out with no issue and if plug leaks you can always replug it a second time. I use Walmart patching kit and nothing special, the skills are what do it. The guys changing the dead tire always freak out at the 4-6 plugs in each worn out tire.

A leaking plug simply goes back flat in several days. It poses no safety hazard if you watch it and it cannot blow out. Why you ALWAYS carry a compact compressor in car, I was forced to do it to all three cars. I drive plugs that seal at 70+ mph all day long too.

#15 ·
The only issue with DIY kits is that they do not go far enough in the contents and sometimes the plugs are crap. You have to look at the plugs close. You don't buy the plugs that look fibrous with lots of threads, you use the ones that look like they have miniature ropes in them, they leak at 1/10th the rate. Buy the bottom of tire patch cement usually on the shelf close, the next biggest fail is due to the plugs having glue on them that is dried up, you need live glue on them at the moment you insert them and it serves as a lube to get them in easier too. Dry plugs right out of the package will fail maybe 25% of them.

I've even plugged bigger holes by crossing two plugs in an X on the plug insertion tool to take up more space but that demands the extra glue.

#17 ·
I'd even plug the other one, I've done it before and even ones slightly around the corner to last forever. You never know until you try and plugs themselves cost pennies. If it fails then new tire. I even pull plugs that leak to replug and sometimes the second one works far better than the first.

Here you will bankrupt if you change every tire with a nail in it, I've had at least 5 in the last year and all are not leaking. There are so many fools that drive around with pickups and bed open to drop construction nails on the highway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.