Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. Just bought a new, 2015 Versa Sedan S Plus. Got the nice Metallic Blue paintjob also.

I have questions about fluid and fluid check-points though.

1. CVT fluid: Some cars don't need their transmission fluid to be checked, as these cars don't "use it up" over time (like my old Ford). Is this the same for the Versa's CVT? Or should i be looking to check it as often as the oil? I don't even know where the check-point is located. I don't see any pictures in the manual. Is it something only the Nissan techs can do??

2. Engine oil: From what i gather in the owner's manual, regular 5W-30 is good. Correct me if i'm wrong please.

3. Windshield wiper fluid: With many cars you can use plain water if you want. Don't necessarily need to buy actual fluid. Is that the same for the Versa?

4. Brake fluid: I see that "Genuine Nissan DOT 3 Brake Fluid" is recommended in the manual. But can i just use any DOT 3 brake fluid? Or do i absolutely NEED to buy the Nissan brand? I don't even know if my local stores actually stock the Nissan brand stuff.

5. Same question for the engine coolent/antifreeze. Can i just add plain water when it gets low, or regular store bought antifreeze in colder whether? Or must i buy the actual (blue)nissan brand antifreeze? The regular, off-the-shelf antifreeze in stores are advertised for use in every car model.

I appreciate any help! Thanks!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Welcome, 1) no dipstick, 2) correct, 3) depends on climate conditions, I need fluid that doesn't freeze and that can clear bugs in the summer. 4) Regular Dot 3 should be fine, 5) I wouldn't do straight water, but would consider regular anitfreeze.

My .02

·
Registered
519 Posts
Welcome, 1) no dipstick, 2) correct, 3) depends on climate conditions, I need fluid that doesn't freeze and that can clear bugs in the summer. 4) Regular Dot 3 should be fine, 5) I wouldn't do straight water, but would consider regular anitfreeze.

My .02
I agree with PP's response but I would strongly recommend NOT to use straight water for coolant. Engine coolant is not just anti-freeze (low freezing point) but also has a higher boiling point. Engine coolant also have anti corrosion properties needed for aluminum alloy engine blocks. heads and internal components. There's quite a bit of technology within the past 10 years on coolant. For topping off, I would recommend using the exact same thing as factory fill (only available from the dealer, I'm afraid).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I agree with PP's response but I would strongly recommend NOT to use straight water for coolant. Engine coolant is not just anti-freeze (low freezing point) but also has a higher boiling point. Engine coolant also have anti corrosion properties needed for aluminum alloy engine blocks. heads and internal components. There's quite a bit of technology within the past 10 years on coolant. For topping off, I would recommend using the exact same thing as factory fill (only available from the dealer, I'm afraid).

I can buy the stuff off amazon.com, along with the break fluid, and washer fluid.

Does this stuff listed below look right?

Amazon.com: Genuine Nissan Fluid 999MP-A4100P DOT 3 Brake Fluid - 12 oz.: Automotive

Amazon.com: Genuine Nissan Fluid 999MP-A4035P Windshield Washer Concentrate - 32 oz.: Automotive

·
Registered
519 Posts
Appears to look OK to me, however considering you were initially taking about using water for engine coolant and washer fluid I think you're "swinging" way to the other side.

Aside from the engine coolant which I would recommend using OEM Nissan coolant, regular DOT3 brake fluid and windshield washer fluid that you can buy from any reputable auto parts store should be fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Appears to look OK to me, however considering you were initially taking about using water for engine coolant and washer fluid I think you're "swinging" way to the other side.

Aside from the engine coolant which I would recommend using OEM Nissan coolant, regular DOT3 brake fluid and windshield washer fluid that you can buy from any reputable auto parts store should be fine.
+1 :wink :grin

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

With my last car, which was pretty old, i was fine using plain water for engine coolent & wiper fluid.

With my new baby, i figure its worth it to get the good stuff. Got 6 more years to pay on this car after all.

·
Registered
519 Posts
With my last car, which was pretty old, i was fine using plain water for engine coolent & wiper fluid.

With my new baby, i figure its worth it to get the good stuff. Got 6 more years to pay on this car after all.
Out of curiosity Grave, what part of the world do you live?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts