Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So I was given a 2007 Versa after the original owner gave up trying to have the car fixed.

Story behind is is the exact same as the following thread I found during a search:

http://www.nissanversaforums.com/general-technical-electrical/3352-reset-vat-2007-nissan-versa.html

Car ran when parked and after the battery went dead, a new one was installed. The car now will crank but not start. A scanner showed the security lock was enabled which cuts fuel. The fuel pump primes and all systems are a go, but the will not start.

No smell of fuel from the exhaust while attempting to start either.

I've done search after search and have done numerous crazy sequences like removing/inserting the key 6 times within 5 seconds to trigger the reprogramming sequence. Nothing. The emergency lights do not come on as instructed here: How to Reset the Ignition on a 2007 Nissan Versa | eHow

I've been through the wringer here everyone, thoughts?

Thanks so much,

Chris

·
Registered
236 Posts
I could be way off base here and I am no expert. The security lock was enabled may have triggered because either the chip in the key is bad or someone used a non chip key ( had it cut at walmart for example) and now the car is in lock out mode. I think maybe a locksmith can program a new set of keys.

Spray some starter fluid into the intake and see if it stumbles. May rule out spark.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Props for knowing how to spell wringer, Chris ;)
I've never had this lockout problem before, but it has happened and someone will be able to help.
Can't beat a free car, and most foibles are well documented here. Welcome to the NVF and tell us more about your V.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
lock the doors, get out, shut the doors, wait outside 5 sec, unlock the door with the key, shut the door, start engine.

that trick worked on my cavalier [worth the shot]

·
Registered
226 Posts
find someone with a good scanner, or a dealer, and get the system cleared. You may have luck finding an Indie Nissan shop and giving them a call; they may have tips on the reset procedure or another way to get it done.

The App, Torque Pro, is pretty powerful and may be able to reach deep enough to reset the system. The app is 6$ and an adapter cable is between $20-$120. That's an Android App. Apple has similar apps.

As a quick check, try this:
1. UNhook both battery cables from the terminals
2. Touch the negative cable to the positive cable, making sure niether one is touching the battery (just remove it)
3. reconnect everything.

This acts as a low-level reset for the vehicles electronics, draining elctrical charge from any place it may be stored, including RAM, or other volatile (in this case "volatile" just means that it requires a charge to hold data, remove the charge, and the data is lost) memory sources. I'm not sure where the lock-out code is stored, but if it's in volatile memory, then doing this will clear it. If it's stored in a non-volatile memory source, then it won't work.

It is NOT dangerous in any way to do this. Just do NOT leave the battery connected, and I recommend removing the battery entirely to mitigate the risk of accidentally touching one of the ends to the wrong terminal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
**UPDATE**

So I towed the car to my "local" dealer (60 miles away.) It took the technician 5 minutes with a laptop running Nissan Consult to get it back up. Fixed it in no time. Sadly there is no other way to reset the ECM.

On a brighter note, it ran great after laying dormant for ~2 years.

Props for knowing how to spell wringer, Chris ;)
I've never had this lockout problem before, but it has happened and someone will be able to help.
Can't beat a free car, and most foibles are well documented here. Welcome to the NVF and tell us more about your V.
Haha, thanks. I'm a stickler for grammar.

Now It's time to take on the arduous task of cleaning this thing. It's absolutely filthy. I'll take and upload some pics when I get a chance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.