Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
Just thought I would share my good and bad news about my Little V.

After about 2 months of back and forth with my local dealership, Nissan has finally decided to come good, and admit my engine has a problem.
Yup, Piston Slap!...surprise surprise...

My car is an 07 V, and it only has 65,000 kilometers ( 41k miles ), and every ounce of maint. has been done at this dealer ( which was a big thing in their decision ).
The car has honestly been babied, but since the cold weather has arrived, I tell ya, when this thing starts up in the cold, it sounds like a freakin diesel truck!!!.....rattle clank knock!
And even after 9-10 minutes of warming up, it slaps like crazy under any kind of load. Eventually ( after about 15-20 minutes ), the noise goes away, but it is pretty bad.
it took alot of persuasion, but after a while, they buckled...I felt like I won the battle against " the man "....haha!

The dealer actually told me in about 300 Versa's they have sold, I will be the 4th engine they have done!

So here we go...I have my fingers crossed, that I get the "good" technician working on my car, and not the newbie, but we'll see.

Can i ask, if anyone else has gone through this type of fix, what have your experiences been. Any tips or advise to watch out for...once the new motor has been installed?
I hope by having the motor replaced, it does not cause an whole bunch of other problems, but I guess time will tell.

Anyway, if you have questions, let me know, and I will be sure to keep everyone updated on the progress of my situation!

thanks for reading
Cheers
OPIPE

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Congrats on new engine! Just keep watching for piston slap. I have a wee wee bit of slap noise when cold, but no issues. Sounds like you did well standing your ground saying this is just not acceptable.:thumb2::smilejap:

·
Registered
993 Posts
Read about a few members having to replace the engine at low mileage. There's no reason you should have to replace it so soon. Good to know Nissan dealers break when it comes to fixing the problem. I have the same mileage, nothing yet, but gonna keep an ear and eye out for problems.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My "piston slap" started right at 10k and now I am at 14k. I took it to the dealer the day it started and got the excuse that it's the injectors or the diaphragm in the abs pump. A "comprehensive" check found everything within tolerances. Today will be my second attempt at resolution. We will see how they react and if the blow me off again I will remind them that this is my second complaint, hopefully not having to resort to the 3 strike lemon law here in Florida. Wish me luck and congratulations on getting one back from "the man" lol.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I'm at 80K now on my 08 Versa (CVT) ... It is super loud when the car has been sitting for a long period of time in the cold, but once the blue light on the dash goes off, and the car has warmed up, it quiets down quite a bit.

Glad to know Nissan is replacing it!

My coworker had her Rogue's transmission replaced last summer. It was a 2010 with just under 80K on it.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Hey All,

After about 2 months of back and forth with my local dealership, Nissan has finally decided to come good, and admit my engine has a problem.

My car is an 07 V, and it only has 65,000 kilometers ( 41k miles ), and every ounce of maint. has been done at this dealer ( which was a big thing in their decision ).
The car has honestly been babied, but since the cold weather has arrived, I tell ya, when this thing starts up in the cold, it sounds like a freakin diesel truck!!!.....rattle clank knock!
And even after 9-10 minutes of warming up, it slaps like crazy under any kind of load. Eventually ( after about 15-20 minutes ), the noise goes away, but it is pretty bad.
it took alot of persuasion, but after a while, they buckled...I felt like I won the battle against " the man "....haha!

The dealer actually told me in about 300 Versa's they have sold, I will be the 4th engine they have done!

So here we go...I have my fingers crossed, that I get the "good" technician working on my car, and not the newbie, but we'll see.

Can i ask, if anyone else has gone through this type of fix, what have your experiences been. Any tips or advise to watch out for...once the new motor has been installed?
I hope by having the motor replaced, it does not cause an whole bunch of other problems, but I guess time will tell.

Anyway, if you have questions, let me know, and I will be sure to keep everyone updated on the progress of my situation!

thanks for reading
Cheers
OPIPE
I had a 98 Kia Sportage that had the engine replaced by the dealer at about 52,000 miles because of a piston slap. Mechanic used a borescope inserted through the spark plug hole. Upon inspection, he could see cylinder wall scuffing. They replaced my engine with a short block, transferring all the external engine parts over to the new block. Only problem I had was a leaky water pump gasket, which was located and driven by the timing belt. Had to bring it back to have that issue taken care of. Would suggest that when you get your vehicle back, that you keep a close eye on the fluid levels to make sure they stay where they belong. Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Hey All,

thanks for reading
Cheers
OPIPE
did it sound like mine?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I will be starting a new thread explaining that I was correct. The Versa has a defect in the engine design from the factory. I know what it is and ALL of the original, and some of the replacement engines are effected. Lol, dont be fooled by the lies Nissan has been telling you. Long story short, IF you dont persist, they wont do anything. This is limited to the MR18 only....As soon as I have more time, I will start the new thread. I promise you it is 100% accurate AND correct. I should know, ive already been down this path with Nissan with our Versa....They settled with us, and I will be installing an MR20 when I get time. We went thru 2 short blocks, and I had to tell the Nissan techs each time what the issue was and how to reproduce it.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
it sounded like that when I first bought it
my ex-subaru legacy L was way worst than the versa.

now I'm at 120,000 miles and it still does that, I guess its a good thing I let it warm up really good when is cold.

·
Registered
993 Posts
In the cold this makes sense, thingdls shrink in the cold and expand when the engine bay warms up. If your getting this all the time than might be some damage done. Blue your V sounds like a big rig, does it sound like that when you drive too.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
our car is at 44-45K and is starting to be really loud....*sob*
Needs more track time...NO WAIT needs an MR20, then more track time:thumb2:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
In the cold this makes sense, thingdls shrink in the cold and expand when the engine bay warms up. If your getting this all the time than might be some damage done. Blue your V sounds like a big rig, does it sound like that when you drive too.

I don't think its loud when I'm driving it :thumb2:

let me find a video of me shifting gears. I believe its called "this is how I shift" and its on youtube.com

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I don't think its loud when I'm driving it :thumb2:

let me find a video of me shifting gears. I believe its called "this is how I shift" and its on youtube.com
this is how it sounds from the inside

and this video was tonight at mcdonalds drive thru. taken from my crappy phone

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
did it sound like mine?

my car sounds similar to this bettle...

and here's a honda fit with knocking problem.
based on the comments, the guy took it back to the dealer, the dealer replaced the engine and at the end the engine makes the same sound.
Another comment states:
ve had the same knocking sound seance I bought my car. it has 153000 on it now and havent given me one problem. I think it just these engine's..
same as me... :thumb2: I'm at 120,000 miles and the engine still sounds the same.

toyota yaris engine running

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow, I love all the response.
My little Versa is at the dealer today have it's heart transplant...now word from the dealer yet, so I can assume all is going well.

Small update:
Confirmed the motor was MFG's in July 2012, which is nice...i guess
And they are only going to give me a 1 year, 20k kilomter warrenty with this one, ohwell.

I will be sure to keep you all updated!!!

Cheers
O

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.