Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my wife's Versa had been making an upper engine tapping noise on cold start up that lasted about 20 miles or so. Long story short I told her it sounded like piston slap and that it wasnt normal, nor was it a good thing. Kinda sounds like an upper engine valve train noise. Took it in to Nissan, and of course they couldnt duplicate the sound. A week later I take it back, walk the tech thru the noise, give my input, and then the service advisor has him call Nissan direct....they ran the tech thru some scenarios and a phone call to me later was that a new short block was ordered. Wow....I would have never figured piston slap on a fairly new car. I will advise all that if your engine makes a similar noise, get it in to be looked at. Yes, I know alot of Versa make noise, but this was gut wrenching to listen to. While the car was at the dealership, I went ahead and did the timing chain on my 2000 Frontier. :) The dealership wants to hire me a few days a week or pay me to be on call a few days....lol I am retired and at 40 I think it would be fun, but then again, fun slowly turns back into work. Ok back on topic. Anyone else have upper engine noise on start up?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I do but it's not very pronounced. Noise settles in a minute or two. I also use synthetic oil fwiw
Thanks for the heads-up, I'll be watching and listening!

·
Registered
377 Posts
I actually noticed kind of a weird ticky noise from the engine today at the dealership...I will ask about it when I go in again on monday, but it was much quieter than what I am hearing online...but different engines.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
yes, especially now that is cold it does have a tick noise but it goes away after the engine warms up. more like valves ticking. I'm at 97,000 miles.

btw,
you're retired at 40? That's living it up man! Congrats!!!!
:cheers2:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah this is what it sounded like, but to me, a car this new shouldnt sound like this on cold start up Sure it went awat with her car also, but something told me this wasnt right. They performed a compression test and there was the proof. Yes I was very aggressive from the age of 19 on. I was investing the whole time I was also employed. When I retired I was a DM with 23 stores under my watch. I just always lived below my means, and thank god I met a woman, my wife...lol, that also agrees with this. She still works, but as a CRNA. Very good money. Oh the dealership loaned us a Cube. Very cute vehicle. Same engine, and sounds like butter on startup compared to my wife's. I like the Cube alot. :)
yes, especially now that is cold it does have a tick noise but it goes away after the engine warms up. more like valves ticking. I'm at 97,000 miles.

btw,
you're retired at 40? That's living it up man! Congrats!!!!
:cheers2:

·
Registered
377 Posts
It's really not that big a deal. Happens in cold weather. Things expand and contract. It's just play that's there because the pistons are able to wiggle a bit until the metal expands under heat.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Really? Id still do a compression test. I have a bad feeling Nissan knows there is an issue but wont say. What else is new there. Just like the TSB on the 3.5 VQ35DE engine in my SER and other Altimas for the timing chain, tensioners, and sprockets. Rather than pay Nissan 2K to do my timing chain, I did it myself with all new parts. Piston slap is never a good thing for an engine. Trust me, Nissan wont replace something just to be nice. They usually fight tooth and nail. Now with this said, i dont think anyone should jump to conclusions here. If you are concerned...take your car in and have them pull the #3 injector & or do a comprssion test. The numbers wont lie. A little noise IS normal, but it was starting to sound like a little truck. Kinda like an old Mercedes diesel.
It's really not that big a deal. Happens in cold weather. Things expand and contract. It's just play that's there because the pistons are able to wiggle a bit until the metal expands under heat.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have about 29K on mine and have been noticing for a while now since it's been cold it has the ticking noise during start ups.

I don't like driving off when the car is bone cold while it is making this noise so i've been starting it up and letting it warm up for about 5-10 mins. before i leave for work usually about 3:30-4:00 a.m.

Once it's warm it's ok for the day. I've been thinking there is something not right and i don't remember ever hearing this when i first got the car or all year til' the weather got cold this fall.

Sucks to think there could be something wrong on a fairly new car. I might have to bring it to the dealership and drop it off over night and be there first thing in the a.m. so they can hear this during a cold start up.

It's still under the factory warranty and i also have an extended warranty. Hope they hear this and agree it's not normal. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
When I had the versa for 3 winters, it also made a ticking noise when it was cold. My sentra has one too, but its not as noticeable. But the versa was loud in the winter, but it went away after 10-15mins.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I understand your point. I def know it wasnt this noticeable when we bought it. For anyone concerned about cold weather and true cold weather starts.....we live in very sunny Florida. It really never gets below 60 where we live.
I have about 29K on mine and have been noticing for a while now since it's been cold it has the ticking noise during start ups.

I don't like driving off when the car is bone cold while it is making this noise so i've been starting it up and letting it warm up for about 5-10 mins. before i leave for work usually about 3:30-4:00 a.m.

Once it's warm it's ok for the day. I've been thinking there is something not right and i don't remember ever hearing this when i first got the car or all year til' the weather got cold this fall.

Sucks to think there could be something wrong on a fairly new car. I might have to bring it to the dealership and drop it off over night and be there first thing in the a.m. so they can hear this during a cold start up.

It's still under the factory warranty and i also have an extended warranty. Hope they hear this and agree it's not normal. We'll see.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yeah I understand your point. I def know it wasnt this noticeable when we bought it. For anyone concerned about cold weather and true cold weather starts.....we live in very sunny Florida. It really never gets below 60 where we live.
I even put in Full synthetic Mobil 1 oil and it still has the ticking noise. Thought that would of cured the ticking noise but didn't. My Versa with the 1.8 doesn't get great gas milage to begin with so when i have to start the car up earlier to warm it up before i leave doesn't help my gas milage :(

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think its really a defect than Nissan wont admit. Different engine design, but done on the cheap....again. I say this because we also have a 1.8LQR engine in our 2000 Sentra. Those engines were plagued with issues. I had to replace the head gasket shortly after warranty. Do a search...most Sentras around the same model year suffered the same failure. Nissan never admitted an engine flaw. Dont get me wrong, I actually like the Versa...BUT I am not convinced that even the 2.0 engine is better. Nissan just seams to cut the wrong corners with their smaller cars. With my SER the issue wasnt with ALL VQ engines, just the ones assembled in America with timing chain parts made in Mexico. The 350Z and G35 never suffered from this failure/defect because those same parts were made in Japan with higher quality parts. Now since this issue was effecting so many Altima owners, the replacement parts come from Japan....Go figure.
I even put in Full synthetic Mobil 1 oil and it still has the ticking noise. Thought that would of cured the ticking noise but didn't. My Versa with the 1.8 doesn't get great gas milage to begin with so when i have to start the car up earlier to warm it up before i leave doesn't help my gas milage :(

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Really? Id still do a compression test. I have a bad feeling Nissan knows there is an issue but wont say. What else is new there. Just like the TSB on the 3.5 VQ35DE engine in my SER and other Altimas for the timing chain, tensioners, and sprockets. Rather than pay Nissan 2K to do my timing chain, I did it myself with all new parts. Piston slap is never a good thing for an engine. Trust me, Nissan wont replace something just to be nice. They usually fight tooth and nail. Now with this said, i dont think anyone should jump to conclusions here. If you are concerned...take your car in and have them pull the #3 injector & or do a comprssion test. The numbers wont lie. A little noise IS normal, but it was starting to sound like a little truck. Kinda like an old Mercedes diesel.

When the NISSAN dealer performed the compression test, what PSI number were they looking for, and what PSI number did it show on number 3 cylinder :question:

on a similar issue, I had a late 90s Chevy Cavalier. they came with two engines, a 2.2L and a 2.4 engine. The 2.2L had a headgasket problem, and the 2.4L had a water pump problem. to get to the waterpump you had to remove the timing chain taking up to 8hrs on labor to replace. The factory warranty back then was 3 years or 36,000 miles :shrug:
my 2.4L was overheating and the dealer said, its not overheating and I had extended warranty. The Transmisson was replaced at 80,000 and the engine started getting weaker and weaker and more overheating, did a compression test and all cyclinders were reading about 120PSI and I finally sold the car at 175,000

Back to the Versa, I did not buy extended warranty on my Versa :facepalm: because I was having high expectations on NISSAN :cheers2: but I would like to recommend to everyone to buy extended warranty. a lot can go wrong between 60,000 miles and 100,000 miles.

I do want to perform a compression test on my 1.8L but I'm really sure what PSI each cylinder is suppost to read

maybe low compression on cylinder number 3 is the root of the problem

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Lol, 100psi cold, and 105psi warm. Trust me Nissan as other dealerships will always "llok" for a reason to say everything is ok, but in this case there was no denying the obvious. Be careful with extended warranties. They can be good but then they can also be worthless unless you read it all and understand it. You must, for the most part, be able to prove that all of the routine maintenance was performed on time....This can only be done with proof of service appointments at the dealership, OR keeping ALL your reciepts from say oil changes and flushes, etc. If not, you may very well be denied a claim for failure to provide proof of reasonable maintenance care per the manufacturers guidlines. Just be sure to read EVERYTHING and ask lots of questions, even the obvious ones, and ask them to show you where this is stated in the paperwork outlining your extended coverage.
When the NISSAN dealer performed the compression test, what PSI number were they looking for, and what PSI number did it show on number 3 cylinder :question:

on a similar issue, I had a late 90s Chevy Cavalier. they came with two engines, a 2.2L and a 2.4 engine. The 2.2L had a headgasket problem, and the 2.4L had a water pump problem. to get to the waterpump you had to remove the timing chain taking up to 8hrs on labor to replace. The factory warranty back then was 3 years or 36,000 miles :shrug:
my 2.4L was overheating and the dealer said, its not overheating and I had extended warranty. The Transmisson was replaced at 80,000 and the engine started getting weaker and weaker and more overheating, did a compression test and all cyclinders were reading about 120PSI and I finally sold the car at 175,000

Back to the Versa, I did not buy extended warranty on my Versa :facepalm: because I was having high expectations on NISSAN :cheers2: but I would like to recommend to everyone to buy extended warranty. a lot can go wrong between 60,000 miles and 100,000 miles.

I do want to perform a compression test on my 1.8L but I'm really sure what PSI each cylinder is suppost to read

maybe low compression on cylinder number 3 is the root of the problem

·
Registered
993 Posts
Really makes me wonder what nissan knows and is not telling the public.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nissan isnt the only ones, All of the makers pull this stuff. Its expensive to do a recall after production has started. Only the most serious cases get prompt attention. And thats only when it becomes undeniable to most everyone, like unintentional acceleration...i.e Toyota. I have owned Nissans since my 1st Maxima back in the early 90', a 1987 SE. Truthfully I will forever own Nissans. I still like them the most. Just hate it when they rush a platform trying to remain competitive. Trust me, We could have bought a Honda Fit and been done with it. Doubt its a better car? Google it compared to the Versa. The Versa just has more charater, besides most fan boys and ricers own Hondas so unless its an NSX, lol I wont own another Honda. I too had high hopes for the Vers, still do. I still plan on building it up a liltte, wheels etc., for my wife as she likes modding as well. I sure hope I dont come off as preaching, if I do, kindly forgive me. I have just been around the block for a while and I tend to speak from knowledge and experience only, not speculation.
Really makes me wonder what nissan knows and is not telling the public.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Nissan isnt the only ones, All of the makers pull this stuff. Its expensive to do a recall after production has started. Only the most serious cases get prompt attention. And thats only when it becomes undeniable to most everyone, like unintentional acceleration...i.e Toyota. I have owned Nissans since my 1st Maxima back in the early 90', a 1987 SE. Truthfully I will forever own Nissans. I still like them the most. Just hate it when they rush a platform trying to remain competitive. Trust me, We could have bought a Honda Fit and been done with it. Doubt its a better car? Google it compared to the Versa. The Versa just has more charater, besides most fan boys and ricers own Hondas so unless its an NSX, lol I wont own another Honda. I too had high hopes for the Vers, still do. I still plan on building it up a liltte, wheels etc., for my wife as she likes modding as well. I sure hope I dont come off as preaching, if I do, kindly forgive me. I have just been around the block for a while and I tend to speak from knowledge and experience only, not speculation.
the truth is auto makers do not like recalls. its service, parts and labor on them. as we all know auto makers are out there not to just make cars, they want to make money.
This is my first Nissan and I always kept hearing good things about Nissan so now with all this 1.8s dying so early, makes me wonder.
To be honest, I did not like the Versa when I first saw it. I had to get a rental, and the service guy handed me the keys of a Versa. I was like wow another Aveo :facepalm: don't get me wrong, the aveo was great on gas but was so small and I didn't like it at all. but when I actually drove the Versa, I was like wow.... this is not bad at all. and as many other car reviews state the extra room was good. The honda fit does have more options, but it is more expensive and I was going to go a little bit over budget and all I want is basic reliable transportation to go to work and back

about the extended warranty, it is true. you have to read everything and do all the maintenance on time and keep records. oil changes, transmission flush, coolant flush and basically keep all maintenance ontime.

anyhow, coming off as preaching, nah.. We need members with good background knowledge on the subject. I can only relate some issues with other cars I had. if not I just read and learn :eatpopcorn:
the problem with the ticking sound is that in most cases, it goes away as the engine warms up.
on the compression test, 105psi on cylinder#3 it is low

any ideas what the other cyclinders read?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I live in maine and the last couple mornings it has been very very cold (below freezing) the ticking sound is clearly there and it goes away after the engine has warmed up. (Blue temp light turns off) do you think I should bring it in to nissan? I don't want to sit there for 3 hours while they try to "find the noise"..

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Also, a friend of mine who works in the parts department for another dealership just told me that my dealership has a disclaimer in the papers you sign when you buy the car that says if you modify the car it has to be done by an ase certified mechanic or else you will void the warranty.. wtf. I thought magnuson-moss covered aftermarket parts. Is this even legal? Guess I should've read the fine print. Any ideas??

1 - 20 of 129 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.