Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day got a crack in the exhaust pipe at the flange in front of the muffler...

So I had my mechanic/custom exhaust guy cut off the flange and muffler [still half decent shape but why be on the hoist twice? :D]

...and install some 2" pipe and a tip! Voila

I like the exhaust burble down shifting and decelerating:woot:
It's a wee bit too loud for my tastes between 1500-2000 rpm inside, but is subtle at idle, and just nicely pronounced at 90km/h. Above 5000rpm, the engine noise drowns out the exhaust noise lol!
I will take pictures and video inside and outside when the weather is better, and I have more time!
I haven't noticed any difference in acceleration, but I'm hoping the mpgs will improve a tiny bit.
So in theory, less exhaust restriction means expelling more efficiently, and power may be up fractionally, so mpgs should rise a bit. But I've also heard that small engines 'need' back pressure to run properly, or else the mpgs will suffer. I tend to believe the former, but some hard data from my next few fillups should tell the tale:spiral:
PS i also checked into the legalities, and i should be good to go:thumb2:installation was this morning:driving:

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Looks good. I was under the car yesterday and every time I'm under there I'm surprised at how big the resonator and muffler are.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya they were monstrous for my minivan! on the van i deleted the resonator at the rear...improvement was very small but was nice to have the tip. Deleting this muffler much more pronounced.:yesnod:

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
couple more pics

Monday I was all paranoid about being too loud, never did this before lol! But I'm much more comfortable with it Tuesday and today. I've still never heard it from the outside yet! I'll get the wife to drive it when I'm not on afternoons. I'll post some video when I learn how to load it...how hard could it be?

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
Looks good. Nice and simple. As far as the video, you should be able to upload it like uploading regular pics. Photobucket might be able to do it but I think YouTube is better. Better quality.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
muffler itself seems in good shape. I would have had him cut the flange and weld the pipes together keeping the stock muffler. I can't stand loud cars. As long as your happy is all that matters.

On almost every car I've owned that flange has failed and I do exactly what I wrote above. Always gets me several more years out of my stock system.

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
muffler itself seems in good shape. I would have had him cut the flange and weld the pipes together keeping the stock muffler. I can't stand loud cars. As long as your happy is all that matters.

On almost every car I've owned that flange has failed and I do exactly what I wrote above. Always gets me several more years out of my stock system.
Thats a good point too. I'd like to give my V a nice deep sound but I also like the way it sounds now. I also like the muffler being hidden.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i usually got a small pipe section replaced too [sometimes it was the flex pipe] but i knew it wouldn't be too much money to just go basically straight pipe, and i always wanted to try it, so i just went for it. I'm also happy it's almost imperceptible at 90km/h, but rumblier other times:) and it has lower frequencies than i thought it would. Can't wait to post some video. Thanks for the youtube advice!

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Heard it externally for the first time today, while mechanic took it for test boot. Very happy with the sound:ihih: I'm surprised how relatively low and rumbly it can be, I was expecting much shriekier:smilejap:puddling along at 55km/h in 5th or 6th sounds nice, not obtrusive at all above 85km, nice for commuting. If I want to reduce the noise between 55-75km, I use 4th gear. I love the gear changes too, and I definitely recommend this inexpensive mod for manual users:driving:
Will get around to posting video when weather better

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Exhaust video finally

versaexhaust1.AVI - YouTube
here goes nuthin
sounds way better with headphones, can actually hear the downshift etc
maybe i should try another:D

·
Registered
613 Posts
very nice! im lovin that sound :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
That deep sound is very nice

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the kind comments. My name is 08versailles and I approve this mod:driving::ihih:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.