Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok since I have seen that many of you are after performance and I happen to associate with someone who build quality parts I inquired. His name is Charles and he use to work for a well known company but is now on his own. I will leave the name of that company out for now. He has made parts for high end performance cars but I know him for his work he did with the SR20DE.

He built what we call the budget header. It is not cheap like OBX but the quality would be way better and the gains if anything like any of his other work will be phenomenal. The price would be in the $5-600 range theoretically. Now that may go up or down depending on the fluctatating price of materials and choices we make. Such as mild steel vs stainless, or shortening the down-pipe to leave room for a CAT vs eliminating the CAT.

Here is a dyno of an SR20DE powered car comparing the stock header for Charles' header. This was done same day on same car I believe. Only other thing might have been a bump in fuel pressure or timing. But like with any performance mod you can get more out of it by tuning. Luckily we have UpRev that can handle all of that :).

So if there is some interest I will keep talking to him. He will need a dyno of a stock MR18 powered Versa so he can look at the curve. He might also need to have a member stop down at his shop for fitment and such. I am pretty sure he is out in Washington. He is really cool guy and I have known him on the SR20 boards for years now.

If something like this was to actually work out and he made some then it may be the tip of the iceberg. Never know, maybe next would be an intake manifold, or even turbo manifold? You guys wanted options and people taking interest in the V well here we go. He said if we get enough interest he can start actually working on something in about 2 months.

BTW there is one person on here who else might know him as he is on the sr20 boards I am on :).

·
Registered
545 Posts
I would be very interested, I don't see more than 5 realistically willing to commit who would be willing to pay for something like this, which is why there is little aftermarket support for the Versa. But I would love to see this happen because DC has yet to announce their release for their Header System since they are basing it off their exhaust sales. Put me down on the list as long as it doesnt turn out like the OBX header. Thanks for the connect!

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what were the issues with OBX? Let me know so I can inform charles. Thanks

·
Registered
613 Posts
i'd be down as well

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He said that would be up to us. I too like the idea of keeping the cat as it keeps things quiet and makes this street legal except in CA.

Were getting some nice interest thus far, please post up question and concerns so he can address them.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The problem with the obx is the cel issue you have to use a spacer which honestly i dont like because i would rather the computer read what is actully flowing instead of thinking hey the cars running clean when it isnt because it deletes the cats thats the only issue really i have with the obx, it did give the car a bit more power but im interested if this header was built better then the obx maybe a slightly larger down pipe instead of a 2 1/4 maybe a 2 and a half probably would help the flow who knows tho im interested we just need somebody with a stock versa in washington now... the only other problem was the way the header wasnt like the factory one the factory had two donut gaskets which helped with the motor flexing with the obx they used a flexpipe which with made the exhaust bang the underside thats why i have no resonator now because it was the only way to get rid of the bang it still does it when the wheels hop a bit..

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will let him decide how to go about avoiding the CEL. If we want this to keep the cat and avoid a CEL then that is how he will make it. Also don't worry about quality and making more power then the OBX as it will be better and outperform that without a doubt in my mind.

The banging is a concern so I will inform him of that. Do you have any pics of where the contact was?

·
Registered
452 Posts
where the resonator muffler was, it was just because of the way the new header flexed compared to the stock manifold it was actully making the whole exhaust flex into the car and started to pull the bolts on the flexpipe out, that is why the guys that were attempting to run cats with the header kept breaking and popping bolts the only thing i can think of is the way the headers flange and runners were bent would have to be bent more or possibly the header deign would have to be more like a long tube.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will let him know of that issue and hopefully he will have a fix. I think he wanted to make it one long header with no flange in the middle. While this makes it slightly more difficult to install there would be no issue with it hanging. I don't want to speculate too much on the design yet as we are just trying to gain interest. This guy seems very interested in making a product for us so hopefully this happens.

BTW this header won't even work on my car so I am doing this for the community. You guys know me I'm more about MPG then HP :). So I will only continue to try an make this happen if YOU people want me to. So everyone keep posting in here if you want a new header.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK his theory right now if I understand what he said correctly is this. One piece header and down pipe then a gap between that and where the stock exhaust starts. That gap can be filled with an aftermarket cat with provisions for O2 sensor or a test pipe and defouler for the not so enviro conscience.

Doesn't seem to be any real way to utilize the stock cat unless it's made similar to the OBX but then people can just buy those if that's the design they want. This one will have longer runners with smoother transitions all creating much more HP.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
did you ask if we got an option on the downpipe size?
No I did not. This guy has been in the business for awhile and everything he makes puts more power to the wheels across the entire RPM range. Bigger piping is not always better and he will know what is best. I can make a suggestion though if you want. There will most likely be no options as he probably won't be building several different styles.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can honestly say there is much more interest on this forum then any other ones I've posted on. I don't want to join any CUBE sites so if anyone is a member of a cube site please post this info.

·
Registered
452 Posts
i mean even with the crappy obx header my mileage has gotten better and looking at the stock one the way its squished in spots to fit its retarded. By the way would he like a stock header to work with for an idea?

·
Banned
1,208 Posts
i have been absent, but just came across this thread... the OBX header is a piece of crap, i swapped the flange on my cats to adapt to the header (i live in CA) and it has been nothing but trouble.... why dont you just talk to your friend about doing a high flow cat? anyways the design of the OBX is flawed, the collector is just pieced together and looks like crap... if the DC header never comes out i might be interested...

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i have been absent, but just came across this thread... the OBX header is a piece of crap, i swapped the flange on my cats to adapt to the header (i live in CA) and it has been nothing but trouble.... why dont you just talk to your friend about doing a high flow cat? anyways the design of the OBX is flawed, the collector is just pieced together and looks like crap... if the DC header never comes out i might be interested...
You may still be out of luck in CA as if makes room for a CAT don't you guys need to retain the OEM one? I don't know the laws out there. This one would fit an aftermarket CAT with a spot for an O2 sensor.

I think out best bet is to have him design this in a way to leave room for a common size and flanged aftermarket CAT. He will sell the header with the CAT, test pipe or with nothing. This way all the headers are the same no matter if you want to go with a CAT or without.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
About this Discussion
61 Replies
16 Participants
Note-ified
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing