Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My name is Matt and i joined because i recently purchased an 07 Versa from my mother (lol). A short history on the car. Mileage is 325 000KM as of now, i've done all the required maintenance on the car over it's entire life for my mum. Coolant flush and fill, spark plugs (stupid job, and proper plugs are hard to find), transmission gear oil changes (twice now, first using Motomaster Synthetic 75W90, second using Royal Purple 75W90), all 4 wheel bearings, brakes, all the typical maintenance items. For a while i had told her it would need a valve adjustment, but now that i have it and the motor is nearing the end of it's useful life, i would like to do an MR20DE swap, and not spend any money on the existing MR18DE.

For documentation/posterity purposes i'd like to say the MR18DE in this Canadian market car has not had any of the piston slap that many other MR and HR engines have had, absolutely NO oil consumption whatsoever. In fact by the end of the 5000KM oil change interval i go by, the oil is still a healthy golden amber color, and feels fine between my fingers. Since it's an 07 the upper strut bearing recall fix has been done, many Versa's had the problem of upper strut bearings seizing up. The recall for a bad FPR to my knowledge has never been done, but has not shown any symptoms of going bad to this day. I've done fuel pressure tests on it a couple times in it's life to verify.

My mum has been very lucky with this car.

But now it's mine. I've always liked the look of the Versa, always been attracted to the "odd" looking cars as an enthusiast. I also have a 1987 Porsche 928 S4 as my project car. I wouldn't mind throwing a bit of money into this car and have started to already. I have a set of straightened 5 spoke Spec V rims powdercoated in light grey/charcoal metallic ready to go on the car, just need tires. I will soon be able to do a proper battery relocate, putting it in the spare tire well. This is convenient as the spare tire well already has a grommet or two to run the wiring on the underside of the car over the axle and over the heatshield through a small indentation on the drivers side of the car. After the battery has been relocated, this will free up the necessary space to run a homemade CAI i am working on. I am using 3" ID and 3.5" OD black ABS pipe. Direct 45 elbow/reducer will go on the throttle body, then piping will run to the headlight/fender area, and another 45 elbow will locate the pipe/filter to terminate at the drivers fog light. I am planning to use an AMSOIL EA 3590 filter, it is the biggest filter they offer which should have sufficient surface area to offer some gains over the stock filter. All lengths of pipe will be chamfered/rounded on the inside edges to reduce pressure loss as much as possible. The pipe will then be wrapped in a reflective material to prevent radiant engine bay heat from penetrating the pipe. The remaining PCV fresh air inlet on cam cover will then be protected by a small K&N breather filter.

The MAF will probably need to be recalibrated as it is factory calibrated to a much smaller cross sectional intake pipe, and installing the MAF into a 3" ID pipe will make it less accurate.

Eventually i'd like to swap a fully built MR20DE into the car, using one of the HP kits that importperformanceparts.com sells, i would be using their 11:1 pistons. Has anyone built an MR20DE with this actual kit? My concerns are with using the piston to raise compression, and valve clearance? Do the 11:1 pistons in that kit have valve reliefs machined in them so they don't hit them? I would hope so.

TL;DR i know, but i don't care.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will try to. However it is just a Versa so there really isn't much to see. But i will post pics when I do the battery relocate. I'd like it to be a clean setup, just like engineers would have intended, so what i'm doing is actually moving the fusible links along with the battery. This is going to cost quite a lot more than simply bolting 0 gauge red wire to the existing terminal, as now i'll have to cut off the 2 connectors going into the fusible link junction, splicing wires of the same color onto those 4 wires (2 white, 1 red, 1 green, and the larger gauge red/black starter/alternator wires) plus the 2 alternator/starter wires, and running all those wires under the car and into the spare tire well, then soldering those 4 into their 2 connectors, plus the 2 starter/alternator wires into a standard terminal end. I would never be happy with the fusible link block just floating there. So this will be harder and more expensive, but hopefully factory clean. Then will come the CAI which will have pipe running right through that (now open) space and into the area inside the bumper behind the foglight cutout.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Welcome. And Wow,
That is quite allot of Km's. ususally from growing up with Nissan, most of the engins' last up to 400 000km or close to it.
if I may ask, why dont you do the engin swop when you do it, to a SR20VVL ?

Cause that is actually an idea that A friend of mine gave me, to after 2 years do a swop over to a SR20VVL .. And keep the Tiida looking Stock with steelies. and add High preformance street brake kit to it.. (Proper sleeper :) )

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Welcome! Glad no piston slap for you. Where did you hear the HR16 suffers from this? I think I've only heard of maybe one person with an HR16 this happening too or something engine related.

As cools as an SR20VE powered versa would be that would be alot of money to stick such an old engine in a car. MR20DE is bolt in and go motor for the Versa.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, i guess it's not really "near the end of useful life" i just meant that i guess in the context of performance. If i were to hop the existing motor up i would probably toss some new rod bearings on it at least and a good inspection.

Rob, i assumed the piston slap problem was across all the motors, my bad.

I'm convinced an MR20DE is the cheapest route with getting more power. The Versa electrical system is too modern for an SR20 to work i think. It's got the "new" CAN interface, which i think makes everything as far as custom wiring goes harder. I'm not too well versed in electrical, i understand how it all works, but i don't think i would want to do any custom wiring or pinouts and all that crap. I just want a built MR20, build it up in a weekend, and put it in the car another weekend. My real money pit is my Porsche 928 project car...

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Welcome!
I'd love to experience an MR20 swap in person
Hope i get that many km from my V too
My MR18 showing a bit of slap noise this morning on cold start, but went away.
Any more details about your 928? An 87 is nice, emissions exempt eh
Enjoy the nvf

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Matt do you have pic of this custom intake? I'd like to try to build one, doesn't sound too difficult for me...and cheap, can't beat that eh. I'm concerned about the MAF sensor recalibration though

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.