Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am a new member here and wanted to introduce myself but then I discovered an Issue. Recently I checked my oil and I am at or below half after having filled it only 1400 miles ago. I'm a rookie mechanic I can do basic things, but I understand more then I can actually do. Anyway there isnt any oil spots on the ground where I park so Im pretty sure I'm not leaking oil which scares me that I'm burning oil. Id love some help! Anyway, on another note I love my 2009 Hatchback its been a great car, and I especially enjoy having the 1.8 Liter engine. Anyway, I hope someone could help me out here! Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
200 Posts
consuming oil is normal under certain conditions...like high speed and long distances etc etc

stupid question is how do you drive?

If your driving style is normal and your oil consumption is abnormal I would say you should take a look at the engine. How many miles?

oh, and welcome!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine is round about 124 or 125 thousand miles. A well loved car for 11 years. Although It has only been mine for a half odd year it was my dads before that. And I drive way more aggressive then I should for the poor car not aggressive as in cutting people off but just lots of high acceleration. Thanks for the welcome :)
Also, I drive Id say an average of 350 - 400 miles a month, (When life is in full swing) Currently probably 150 - 300 miles a month.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Try going a little lighter on the gas pedal and see if the oil consuption improves. I've had very high mileage engines, up to 400K+ miles that used lots more oil than you're describing and by keeping the oil level filled and not pushing the car hard was able to drive the same car to over 500K miles and the engine was still running when I parked it. The car just needed other work that I didn't feel like tackling myself and I wasn't paying someone $50-100 an hour to work on it.

·
Registered
757 Posts
The engine is round about 124 or 125 thousand miles. A well loved car for 11 years. Although It has only been mine for a half odd year it was my dads before that. And I drive way more aggressive then I should for the poor car not aggressive as in cutting people off but just lots of high acceleration. Thanks for the welcome :)
Also, I drive Id say an average of 350 - 400 miles a month, (When life is in full swing) Currently probably 150 - 300 miles a month.

Nissan had a big problem with that year engine. It would usually develop a "piston slap" in the number 3 cylinder. My 2009 versa sedan had the engine replaced under warranty with less than 35,000 miles. What happens is that the piston starts to rock in the cylinder, and after a time, the engine will start to use oil at a higher amount than usual. Usually with this kind of issue, the piston slap can be heard when the engine is first started from cold. As the engine warms up, the noise will become less and less. When I first noticed the noise, the dealership tried to tell me it was normal being caused by the fuel injection system. I had the issue documented, and the noise just kept getting louder and louder until they had no choice but to honor the warranty.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would quite both 2016Versa and Pimperell.

First try to go lighter on the pedal...maybe it's your driving habit.

Second try to make sure you don't have piston slapping.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow, thank you all so much for all the responses, I put in new Oil Recently so I could more accurately gauge what was going on. And I think as you guys suggested to be a bit easier on the gas was the solution although I've probably only gone 300 miles with the new oil. If I seem to find the problem again Ill be sure to say but it seems to be working well. And as we go into the winter months Ill definitely listen to the engine as it warms up. I haven't heard this slapping noise yet but I will listen for it. Thanks again everyone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts