Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am glad I found this forum. I am a new member and I have an A.C. issue with my wife's 07 Versa hatchback.

When it's hot and I am driving, I would turn the AC on at 4 and put it to very cold. The AC blow normally from the front blowers. After about fifteen minutes or so, the blower pressure would decrease to as if I had it on a 1 setting or lower. After messing around with it for a bit, I found that if I turn the heat on for five minutes, then turn on the air after, it will continue to blow on 4 again, for five minutes, and then decrease to like a 1, and so on and so on.

I am not a mechanic or anything like that, but it seems as if the pipes or something is freezing over, and I lose pressure, because if I turn on the heat, it never decreases in power.

I am assuming some type of thermostat is broken or something?

Any help will be much appreciated... Thank you all with my first post!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Is this something that I can change myself or will I have to take it in? Meaning, do I just unplug and replace something, or do i have to deal with recharging freon, etc?

Also, I haven't added any freon since I bought the car and I have about 85k miles on it, could this be the issue?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
no freon cant be the issue and changing that will require removing the freon and adding new
Couple things… first, Freon is a brand name of refrigerant. Calling refrigerant "freon" is vague and generic. Modern cars are charged with R134a refrigerant.

This brings me to my next point. To me, it sounds like it very well could be that it is low on refrigerant. If its low on charge, the refrigerant will boil off soon after entering the evaporator and the coil will ice over. If the coil ices over, your airflow decreases. When you run the heat, the coil thaws. So yes, "freon" could very much be your problem. Further to that, you shouldn't need to "top up" the refrigerant charge. If its low, you have a leak. In order to recharge it you have to find and fix the leak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.