Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2012 hatchback 1.8 4spd auto
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new here but been lurking for a while. I've been on many different forums for a long time and figured it was time to sign up.
I picked up a 2012 versa 1.8 4spd hatch a little over a year ago. Bought it with 118k on it and it's now just passed 152k. Got the car because putting 150+ miles a day on my v6 4runner was getting pretty expensive and racking up the miles, 412k miles on it now.
So far I've done a few small mods to make it a better commuter and just because I wanted to. I added a android touchscreen head unit, upgraded speakers, added tweeters with SL a pillars, under seat sub and I have a reverse cam that I still need to install. I added LED headlights/tail lights/interior/reverse lights but I would like to do a HID retrofit soon, put on a EZ lip on the front bumper, added fogs in the factory spot and made a custom grille. I'm putting on a set of Vision Bane wheels but sticking with 15s because tires are cheaper than the 17s I was going to go with and I put a lot of miles on it. If I can ever find one in the correct color and not damaged, I would like to add the SL spoiler. Will still do small things here and there but I'm pretty much done with mods. It's been a pretty good car so far.

·
Registered
320 Posts
those are nice little mods, I have done many like those myself on my 2012.

I also added OEM heated mirrors, a new rear view auto-dimming mirror, oem sub in the trunk, oem overhead console etc

Next step is OEM cruise control....I finally should have all the parts I need.

The spoiler is not hard to do, you just need to find it somewhere.

https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/asistgc_1/USENG/diskdocs/1/S/N/1SN21.PDF

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
those are nice little mods, I have done many like those myself on my 2012.

I also added OEM heated mirrors, a new rear view auto-dimming mirror, oem sub in the trunk, oem overhead console etc

Next step is OEM cruise control....I finally should have all the parts I need.

The spoiler is not hard to do, you just need to find it somewhere.

https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/asistgc_1/USENG/diskdocs/1/S/N/1SN21.PDF
Nice!
I've briefly looked into adding cruise control but havent gone any farther than that. It is something I would like to do eventually. What all is needed? Obviously the buttons and I think I remember seeing something about having the dealer flash the ECU but that's all I remember.

Also forgot to say I put in the SL arm rest and I wrapped my steering wheel in black leather which is actually one of my favorite things I've done.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've also put the armrest in from a SL and the leather steering wheel from the same car.

for the Cruise control I'm still guessing.
You need the buttons, of course, the ASCD break switch in the footwell to disengage the cruise (there should be the socket already, you just need to put the switch in place and connect it to the pedal), and as far as I know both ECM and BCM from a donor car that already has Cruise Control and with the same characteristics as yours (transmission, engine etc).
Then you need to swap those and have a dealership reprogram those to your car (register VIN, reset antitheft, link keys).

It's basically a 30 minute jobs since it's all electronics...
I already have the buttons and the switch, and I found ECM and BCM plus the key from a donor car.
I should be good to go to give it a try...maybe early May.

·
Registered
2007 Versa s hatch 6spd
32 Posts
Ecate keep us posted if you do the cruise control swap. I’d love to see how it’s done to determine if I want to mess with doing the same. That’s the thing I miss the most on my Versa. I gotta get back to the junk yard to get the rear seat out of the sl I took my front seats from. Sadly the arm rest was destroyed.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ecate keep us posted if you do the cruise control swap. I’d love to see how it’s done to determine if I want to mess with doing the same. That’s the thing I miss the most on my Versa. I gotta get back to the junk yard to get the rear seat out of the sl I took my front seats from. Sadly the arm rest was destroyed.
If you have a 2007 you might not have the wiring in place.

The ECM swap is suuuuper picky: you must have the same exact ECM configuration (tranny, VDC etc) plus the cruise control. Mine is a 2012 S and I have a 59 MEC901-921, the 2012 S with same config plus CC is a 61 MEC901-930.
I found that, but I wasn't able to locate the matching BCM from that same car. It should work regardless, but you need to register the VIN to the new ECM, reset and initialize anti theft on the BCM and then register the keys. It's all programming with the Consult Nissan tool...there is nothing mechanic to repair etc...
If you have both ECM and BCM it should be easier....I did find a matching ECM-BCM and key from a 2011 S donor car....only issue is that the ECM is w/o VDC (2012 has it stock) and I wasn't aware of that...so I wonder if, even if it works, I would lose the VDC and how the car would react to that.

I'll try again soon to register the ECM and keys (otherwise you can't start the car).

In your case, first of all, you should make sure the wiring is in place...including the ASCD switch in the footwell (it's a brown connector, probably taped somewhere above the brake pedal).

If you don't have the wiring your best bet is an aftermarket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where are the ECM and BCM located in these cars?
Are all the keys chipped in these cars? My keys look like regular keys with a plastic head. No buttons or anything that indicates chip.

Anything special you had to do for the overhead console? I've thought about that one too.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Where are the ECM and BCM located in these cars?
Are all the keys chipped in these cars? My keys look like regular keys with a plastic head. No buttons or anything that indicates chip.

Anything special you had to do for the overhead console? I've thought about that one too.
the ECM is in the engine compartment, driver side.
The BCM is behind the glovebox.

Keys are chipped, the chip is inside the plastic head :)

For the overhead console you have to cut through the trim and put it in place (there are holders clips already in place and holes in the roof), and of course wire it to the existing wiring. If you get a console with the pigtails you can easily make a connection there to the dome lamp wiring that runs up from the passenger's A pillar. One is ground (black) and the other is power (either yellow or brown). You can also access the wiring from the little plastic cover under the passenger's sun visor.
I changed those two too with lighted ones.

·
Registered
511 Posts
The ultimate test for whether there is a chip inside is to take your original key to Lowes and pay them $2 to cut you a duplicate key as a spare in case you lock yourself out. If your new spare key can start the engine, you do not have a chip.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Pick up a spoiler from a junkyard. Cheaper going that route.

Nice!

Also forgot to say I put in the SL arm rest and I wrapped my steering wheel in black leather which is actually one of my favorite things I've done.
Get the full SL interior(seats, armrest, doorpanels), makes for a much more comfortable car.
Wrapped a standard Versa wheel.... Try one from an Altima!! Much more comfortable driving position. Brings your hands about an inch or so back.

Reactions: Ecate

·
Registered
571 Posts
Some of the mods I have done...so far.
Altima wheel
SL interior
Tweeters, Bose branded from a Sentra.
Pathfinder control stalks
Fogs
Auto dimming mirror from an Altima
AM/FM/XM/Nav radio from a Cube.
Wired in full steering wheel controls.

Got to get around to wiring up the backup camera for that radio!

Reactions: Ecate

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pick up a spoiler from a junkyard. Cheaper going that route.

Get the full SL interior(seats, armrest, doorpanels), makes for a much more comfortable car.
Wrapped a standard Versa wheel.... Try one from an Altima!! Much more comfortable driving position. Brings your hands about an inch or so back.
The Altima wheel looks good but I dont want to deal with trying to get an airbag because the junkyards here cant sell them used anymore because of all the recalls. Thank you California...

That said, the local junkyards are one of my favorite places to go. I check them regularly for parts. I dont want to paint so I'm hoping that a dark blue hatch with a spoiler gets put out soon.
I know the seats have more adjustments and the rear has the fold down armrest/cup holder but whats the difference with the SL door panels?

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
whats the difference with the SL door panels?
no difference...the textile just matches the interior. The plastic inserts and windows assy should have a mesh pattern....but apart from that is the same door panel. It's just for aesthetic.

PS: very nice job on the wheel!! where did you buy the leather? I swapped the SL wheel but your job is neat.

·
Registered
320 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Already done. Found out the hard way that a combo switch with auto lights function doesnt work and keeps the lights on all the time. Found one from an infinity g35 (i think) and it worked though.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Already done. Found out the hard way that a combo switch with auto lights function doesnt work and keeps the lights on all the time. Found one from an infinity g35 (i think) and it worked though.
that is one of the easiest mods to do.
The other one I would personally suggest is the autodim rearview mirror and the SL armrest if you happen to find one that's not destroyed. Both are very easy to mount. Then you could add a keyfob if you don't have it.
I also added a glovebox light.

You can check all my mods here , you can ask me if you need more info.

I'm giving another try to the cruise control next week or so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Custom grille and ez lip. Want to replace lower grille with the same mesh I used in the upper.

Hope to get my wheels mounted up soon.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The SL door panel has better insulation. Less road noise, and a more solid sound as you close the door.
As for the airbag, you can always get something from out of state. Same with the spoiler. Check out www.car-part.com

Nice job on the wheel!

·
Registered
571 Posts
The Versa doesn't have the needed ambient light sensor for the auto function to work properly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts